If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ok. I’m giving this fantastic sport it’s own thread. It deserves it. NASCAR is all well and good but I see it turning Left ....... :D
The Bahrain Grand Prix is Sunday. Tune in or record it. You have nothing to do until Basketball is on anyways. :D
You NEED to watch the Netflix series by the same name as this thread. There are 3 seasons. You can watch season 3 first if you want. You will get hooked.
As stated earlier, my wife and I are hoping to make the Canadian Grand Prix in June. We are going with a big dollar “experience” package cause ....why not
If Sly could hook a Brother up, I’d consider the US Grand Prix and could probably talk a long time Board member into going with
At any rate, give this a try. As one friend says “these drivers are Drama Llama’s and that’s what’s awesome. They don’t try to hide who they are like other racing sports”. Plus they go fast. Really fast. Especially the pit stops
LU 57, ballcoach15 liked this
By LU 57
Watched qualifying yesterday. Pretty interesting. There are 3 stages, but the most interesting part is they are all on the track at the same time.

Anyway, Q1 has all 20 cars on the track, with the top 15 lap times moving to Q2. The top 10 move to Q3 where they battle for the poll.

It goes very quick, less than an hour. Very different than NASCAR where there is only one car on the track at a time.

Was disappointed that the Haas team performed so poorly. As far as I know they are the only U.S. team.

As stated in another post, my wife and I have enjoyed the series on Netflix. We are still in Season 1.

My only real beef at this point is how much the top 3 teams dominate: Ferrari, Mercedes, and Red Bull; but I guess that is not unlike MLB or NASCAR.

Looking forward to watching my first live race this morning.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: March 28th, 2021, 8:23 am Watched qualifying yesterday. Pretty interesting. There are 3 stages, but the most interesting part is they are all on the track at the same time.

Anyway, Q1 has all 20 cars on the track, with the top 15 lap times moving to Q2. The top 10 move to Q3 where they battle for the poll.

It goes very quick, less than an hour. Very different than NASCAR where there is only one car on the track at a time.

Was disappointed that the Haas team performed so poorly. As far as I know they are the only U.S. team.

As stated in another post, my wife and I have enjoyed the series on Netflix. We are still in Season 1.

My only real beef at this point is how much the top 3 teams dominate: Ferrari, Mercedes, and Red Bull; but I guess that is not unlike MLB or NASCAR.

Looking forward to watching my first live race this morning.
Ferrari sucked last season. I look for McLaren to make some moves.
Yes F1 is top heavy at the moment but if you look back there was a time when Williams and Aston Martin (Alpine) dominated.
Haas has always been lower lever. But loved the episode in season 3 focused on them. And that crash :shock: :shock:
Next year they are putting a “salary cap” on contractors so the playing field will be a little more even.
Lewis Hamilton is a bit cheeky but he can drive
LU 57 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
First off, I recommend starting with Season 1 on Netflix before diing into live racing. Seasons 2 & 3 really build on the character development from the first season when it was just middle of the pack teams along with Red Bull who were the focus of the series. The real life characters are the best part. The drivers are great but it is the team principals that push the show into its greatness. Season 1 was so immensely popular that Mercedes & Ferrari got on board for 2 & 3. If all you know is Lewis Hamilton then you will be blown away by the other personalities. You will even find yourself cheering for drivers you once derided in the first two seasons. Oui, Oui Pierre!

I recommend recording the 2021 live races and playing it back once you have gone through the first three seasons on Netflix. Nothing stays the same from season to season unlike NASCAR where the characters rarely move around. With only 10 teams of two cars each everything gets VERY personal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 28th, 2021, 1:57 pm First off, I recommend starting with Season 1 on Netflix before diing into live racing. Seasons 2 & 3 really build on the character development from the first season when it was just middle of the pack teams along with Red Bull who were the focus of the series. The real life characters are the best part. The drivers are great but it is the team principals that push the show into its greatness. Season 1 was so immensely popular that Mercedes & Ferrari got on board for 2 & 3. If all you know is Lewis Hamilton then you will be blown away by the other personalities. You will even find yourself cheering for drivers you once derided in the first two seasons. Oui, Oui Pierre!

I recommend recording the 2021 live races and playing it back once you have gone through the first three seasons on Netflix. Nothing stays the same from season to season unlike NASCAR where the characters rarely move around. With only 10 teams of two cars each everything gets VERY personal.
I kinda like Hamilton less than I did. I feel bad for Bottas. If it wasn’t for bad luck he’d have none. Especially after today.
You are spot on about Season 1 though. I think it made the show BETTER not focusing on the Big Dogs (other than Red Bull). It gave you a deep dive into everything. Those team benefitted from Merced’s and Ferrari thinking they were too good for a Netflix special
Today’s race was everything you could want. Literally comes down to the last lap.

Now, about those pit passes you’re working on for the US Grand Prix....
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My wife has become a Bottas fan primarily because of Hamilton's smugness. I hope Netflix was following either Red Bull or Mercedes in Bahrain. Christian & Toto during that race would be epic.

If F1 is all new to you, here is a snapshot of the teams competing on the grid in 2021:

Traditionally Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari are your top tier teams. McLaren is crashing the party as they are showing signs of regaining their former glory. Ferrari had a brutal 2020 season and is looking to rebound this year. Williams and the American team Haas are the low budget teams at the back of the pack holding on for their racing lives. Alpine was formerly known as Renault and Aston Martin is the old Racing Point team that used to run in pink liveries.

While Gene Haas is an owner, there are a few Americans sprinkled among the key figures in the sport. Zak Brown runs McLaren. You will be hardprssed to find a more smug Californian anywhere. Otmar Szafnaur was born in Romania but is a US citizen who grew up in Detroit and worked for Ford Racing for years. He runs the team owned by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll who is a fashion brand mogul that bought into financially troubled Aston Martin last year. With his ownership stake, that allowed him to bring back the iconic James Bond-connected brand to Formula 1. Oh yeah, Stroll's son Lance is one of the team's drivers.

Everyone speaks English as it is the universal language of racing. F1 is also based in the UK where most of the teams have their operations.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
3 races in and Lewis Hamilton is still a machine and if it wasn’t for bad luck Vatteri Bottas would not have any.
Mercedes and Red Bull are the class of the sport. Next year will be interesting to see how Red Bull does when they are building their own engines and not using Honda.
Haas and Williams are not surprisingly at the bottom of the Constructors race but what is surprising is how poorly Aston Martin is doing. Thought for sure they’d be doing better.
The TV coverage of a race is really amazing. Much more involved than NASCAR Plus these races are short sweet and too the point
If you have t watched the Netflix series are started watching F1 you are really missing out.
Unfortunately for me they’ve canceled the Canadian Grand Prix which we were planning on attending so I don’t know when we will be able to catch a race
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 1:00 pmUnfortunately for me they’ve canceled the Canadian Grand Prix which we were planning on attending so I don’t know when we will be able to catch a race.
Austin is calling. Billy Joel is one of the concert headliners during the event. It is rare to see him outside of MSG. The rest of the concert lineup gets announced later this month.

Miami would be fun next spring even with the Hard Rock Stadium parking lot arrangement. They used a similar setup here in Houston around NRG Stadium back when CART was still alive. The Austin track was built specifically for F1. Big improvement.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 2:44 pm
Purple Haize wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 1:00 pmUnfortunately for me they’ve canceled the Canadian Grand Prix which we were planning on attending so I don’t know when we will be able to catch a race.
Austin is calling. Billy Joel is one of the concert headliners during the event. It is rare to see him outside of MSG. The rest of the concert lineup gets announced later this month.

Miami would be fun next spring even with the Hard Rock Stadium parking lot arrangement. They used a similar setup here in Houston around NRG Stadium back when CART was still alive. The Austin track was built specifically for F1. Big improvement.
I’d love to go to Austin! But I’d have to figure out an idea angle to go since I’d be flying solo. If you have any suggestions I’m open
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
F-1 had a chance to become relevant in the U.S. after Dale Earnhardt Sr died and NASCAR made sudden ill-advised expansion moves that alienated a large portion of the loyal fan base in the south. Oddly enough, Nascar racing has gained new life during the pandemic as weekly racing throughout the past year has given sequestered viewers the opportunity to get to know the "New Blood" and the personalities involved. Though Nascar racecars don't share a lot of similarities with Mustangs, Camaros and Camry's, there is enough to familiarity to attract owner loyalty and the quality of racing where the full contact "rubbing" is allowed is much more entertaining than the homogenized open wheel alternative. Outside of one race every year in Indianapolis, open wheel racing will be just like that other "football" that is played in other parts of the world; a quaint oddity that is second fiddle to the real thing. Enjoy your favorite beverage with your pinkie up while real men watch the real thing. Hail King NASCAR!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Two episodes into the series, my wife says, “This is way more entertaining than NASCAR. That’s just boring, always turning left.” Three episodes in, and we’re both hooked.

Racenut, you truly are a nut. If NASCAR only wants the US market, that’s fine. I guarantee you corporate NASCAR is supremely jealous of F1’s $$$ and fans.
Purple Haize liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
NASCAR did enjoy a bump during the pandemic when for a short period of time they were the essentially the only show in town. But this Netflix series has shown how non-homogenous F1 truly is. Having the same cars running on the same specs is not a true differentiator. While IndyCar continues circling the drain, has lost its lustre nationally. It will be difficult to regain its heyday popularity of two decades ago. But it is not impossible.

Now if Netflix or someone else (ESPN, Amazon, etc.) were able to pull off a similar type of series shown from the teams' perspective similar to F1 series, it could go a long way. The driver focus of NASCAR marketing is very limiting.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:26 am Two episodes into the series, my wife says, “This is way more entertaining than NASCAR. That’s just boring, always turning left.” Three episodes in, and we’re both hooked.

Racenut, you truly are a nut. If NASCAR only wants the US market, that’s fine. I guarantee you corporate NASCAR is supremely jealous of F1’s $$$ and fans.
Why do you doubt me! I’m just impressed at your self discipline not to binge it! We need your comments!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:50 am I knew F1 was big but didn’t realize how big until that show.
Nor the money involved. I was amazed that they had to make a machine to make a machine to make a tool to make a part. I mean you just can’t run down to Lowe’s and pick up a wrench!
LU 57, Jonathan Carone liked this
By LU 57
Purple Haize wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:50 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 7:50 am I knew F1 was big but didn’t realize how big until that show.
Nor the money involved. I was amazed that they had to make a machine to make a machine to make a tool to make a part. I mean you just can’t run down to Lowe’s and pick up a wrench!
The documentary is great but I have had a hard time getting into the races. Kind of like super speedway racing with no restrictor plates. In other words the fastest car wins and there is very little passing (or overtaking as they say) at the front.

Missed this last race but did watch the first two, and am sure I will be back. Seems it may be an acquired taste.

If Haas was a little better, it would help. We need an American interest to root for.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 9:25 pm McLaren’s principle is American. They’re the mid pack team I pull for.
I really want Williams to do better than they are doing. I can’t believe Aston Martin is doing so poorly. I hate Ferrari
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
But he's an obnoxious Cali. Aston Martin's chief is American as well even though his name would suggest otherwise. He's from Detroit.

I am not that distantly related to the Ferrari family and I love those red liveries. But this show has me in Christian's corner. I love his smugness and pettiness.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 9:00 pm
Purple Haize wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:50 pm
The documentary is great but I have had a hard time getting into the races. Kind of like super speedway racing with no restrictor plates. In other words the fastest car wins and there is very little passing (or overtaking as they say) at the front.

Missed this last race but did watch the first two, and am sure I will be back. Seems it may be an acquired taste.

If Haas was a little better, it would help. We need an American interest to root for.
What makes F1 unique to me is the scoring system. So that 5th and 6th place battle means something. Plus you have the Constructors Championship to look at. And that sneaky Fastest Lap point is always fun.
Plus the pit stops are incredible
LU 57 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Christian was the most intriguing principle to me. That’s why I pull for Red Bull in the top three. He’s also married to Ginger Spice and they just glossed over that fact.

I can’t get into Aston Martin. They annoyed me so much in season three (2020).

I haven’t had a chance to actually watch a race yet, but I enjoy the off-field side of sports as much or more as the actual games. That’s what makes F1 so interesting to me. The points system. The Constructors Cup. How each team’s car is legitimately different and figuring that out from week to week. There’s so much outside of the Sunday races.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]