If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
My sources say that college softball has done this for YEARS. If true, wouldn't Ballcoach--of all people--know this? :dontgetit
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I mean Jon Manson wrote about it in the article shared earlier today. I too noticed that softball wasn't on the list of sports that require a special waiver. Interesting huh???
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 7:04 pm
JK37 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 5:55 pm BC, this isn’t free agency.
It's the equivalent of free agency.
No it isn’t. You, sir, need to be coached up. But you don’t even need a second party to coach you up. The info is readily available.

What do you call a player who doesn’t want to be coached?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 15th, 2021, 8:38 pm My sources say that college softball has done this for YEARS. If true, wouldn't Ballcoach--of all people--know this? :dontgetit
I knew .🥎 That's why softball has lots of transfers. I've seen ranked teams have several players transfer at once.

JK, when players can jump teams, I know of nothing to call it, but "free agency". And eventually there will be $$$$ involved, if it isn't already. And rogue schools will recruit from other schools.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Newsflash: there are rogue schools doing whatever it takes whether this transfer rule is in place or not. That is what should be addressed. No need to punish the student athletes who do it right.

I just don't understand why it is cool for the coach to move on and do whatever they want wherever they want, but you expect student athletes to stay put. You have yet to address that after being asked for years. Instead you just said, "recruiting bad! Rogue schools." And whatever else you spout off without actually answering the question.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:42 am
ballcoach15 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:40 am Transfers should only be allowed on case by case basis, under hardships. Transfering just to be transfering should not be allowed.
OK, that is your opinion, backed up by nothing.
Here is mine.
You are wrong.
Ballcoach, wrong? I am shocked, SHOCKED I say [/sarcasm]
thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: April 16th, 2021, 9:13 am
olldflame wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:42 am
ballcoach15 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 9:40 am Transfers should only be allowed on case by case basis, under hardships. Transfering just to be transfering should not be allowed.
OK, that is your opinion, backed up by nothing.
Here is mine.
You are wrong.
Ballcoach, wrong? I am shocked, SHOCKED I say [/sarcasm]
The difference is we have facts and data to support Oldflames position.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
this is fantastic. for years and years, the haves have piled up talent and because a player is 1b to the 1a, they often sit for 3-4 years because they don't want to sit out that year. the transfer portal and well argued positions (justin fields) really helped disperse talent a little better.. this will continue to facilitate a broader talent pool amongst the power 5 conferences and group of 5 conferences.

i remember listening to the radio and the guy was like, i went to USC spring practice and say 5 QB's lined up that would start for most other programs. those days are gone.

the power have never been in the players hands. and effectively they are the product in short supply. times are a changing and its for the betterment of the players. the transfer portal has not diminished the quality of college sports IMO. I believe the 4 team playoff in football has diminished parity in the top top teams but i think beyond that the rest of the power 5 and group of 5 has seen much better competition as a result. in other sports, like basketball, i think its been great (perhaps biased, mich really shined as a result of mike smith and chaundee brown) for basketball as well.
ATrain, thepostman, Purple Haize and 1 others liked this
By Longshots
Imagine hating a school and being forced to stay there? Or going to a school and then the coach leaving. He doesn't have to sit out a year but you do.

Many of you claim to be free-market laissez-faire believers until you get mad someone goes to a school that has a better name, a better coach, a better reputation, and a better chance at success and evolving their career.
thepostman liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Portal encourages " quitting ". Now granted if a player is 3rd on depth chart, a transfer might be in order. But it appears most transfers are starters, and in many instances, All Conference selections.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:11 pm Now granted if a player is 3rd on depth chart, a transfer might be in order. But it appears most transfers are starters, and in many instances, All Conference selections.
Moving from the ASUN to the ACC or SEC? Sing it, sister!

flamehunter, ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:22 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:11 pm Now granted if a player is 3rd on depth chart, a transfer might be in order. But it appears most transfers are starters, and in many instances, All Conference selections.
Moving from the ASUN to the ACC or SEC? Sing it, sister!

Yep - ASUN to ACC or SEC ain't quitting, that's a promotion!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 19th, 2021, 7:11 pm Portal encourages " quitting ". Now granted if a player is 3rd on depth chart, a transfer might be in order. But it appears most transfers are starters, and in many instances, All Conference selections.
It only "appears" that "most" transfers are starters to you. That is absolutely false. The vast majority are players who are buried on the depth chart. Now, we have had some issues with starters on our WBB team leaving, but that is an outlier within our overall athletic program. The problem there is not with the NCAA rules, it's with the WBB program, and it needs to be addressed.
flamehunter liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There is an All Conference softball player who has the option of returning in 2022, as a 5th year senior. She had not decided whether to return for another year or not. She was not in transfer portal, but 3 other schools sent her "feelers" through indirect contact, in an attempt to recruit her.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]