If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
James Cook did not look happy to be going to Buffalo
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
lueer wrote: April 29th, 2022, 9:35 pm So any mock drafts have Willis in 3rd round?
I did after the Ole Miss Game. But thought his stock had improved
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
He's gotta become a Seahawk or a Falcon in the third round. Otherwise, he's going to the Panthers in the 4th round, and that's hard to believe. How could there have been such a huge gap between the pundits and the personnel evaluators in the draft rooms? That goes for Matt Corral and Desmond Ridder, too.
By lueer
Registration Days Posts
Well, since everything we had heard about Malik and the draft was wrong, I wonder if we will hear why the teams really weren’t that high on him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
NFL Network just did a blurb on Willis. Richard Sherman texted wanting to know why Willis had fallen. The reports are that teams love his talent and potential. However Freeze apparently has a very simple offense and there are concerns about him being able to step in right away. He’s seeing as a 1-2 year project.

Baker Mayfield and Jimmie G play into teams equations as well
badger74 liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: April 29th, 2022, 10:05 pm Bummed for Malik, but WHEN he is drafted doesn’t equate to HOW WELL he will do.
His dad was so proud of him that he was weeping as Malik walked the red carpet yesterday. My heart goes out to Malik, his father, and his grandmother who are still waiting in the green room. I expect he'll be picked eventually, but I can't imagine he or his family expected this.
Purple Haize, badger74 liked this
By Ill flame
Sucks that he went so late but talk about a steal for the titans. They don't need a QB but it's hard to leave that much upside on the board in the later rounds. This seems like a great situation for Malik though. I was afraid he was going to be starting somewhere Day 1 and not be given enough time to develop. That shouldn't be an issue in Tennessee.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
So relieved that he got drafted and happy he went to a team in the South: TENN TITANS!!!
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: April 29th, 2022, 10:47 pm Sucks that he went so late but talk about a steal for the titans. They don't need a QB but it's hard to leave that much upside on the board in the later rounds. This seems like a great situation for Malik though. I was afraid he was going to be starting somewhere Day 1 and not be given enough time to develop. That shouldn't be an issue in Tennessee.
I can see them inserting some run-pass option plays with him and Derrick Henry in the backfield this season.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Tannehill’s contract is also only guaranteed through this year, and he’s not a world-beater. Y’all remember when the Chiefs drafted Mahomes when they had a perfectly good QB in Alex Smith? I think Tennessee could end up on a similar trajectory.
tyndal23 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
This is the first year I followed the draft closely. At least this year, it seems you have be ready to start and have an impact day one to be selected round one or two. I'm sure thats due to the amount of money and long term commitment a team makes. Based on that I'm not sure why all the experts had Malik going round one knowing he was a 2023 project.

I'm really happy for him. Seems like good timing with Titans.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Interesting LU connection with the Titans: their RB coach, Tony Dews, was an LU tight end in the 1990s and earned his master's degree at WVU where he got his first 'college' coaching job!

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/team/co ... /tony-dews
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 30th, 2022, 5:58 am This is the first year I followed the draft closely. At least this year, it seems you have be ready to start and have an impact day one to be selected round one or two. I'm sure thats due to the amount of money and long term commitment a team makes. Based on that I'm not sure why all the experts had Malik going round one knowing he was a 2023 project.

I'm really happy for him. Seems like good timing with Titans.
I think you are close. You need to be projected to start ‘soon’ if not immediately. This whole process I was very interested to see how Willis compared to the guy SF drafted last year. Trey Lance was super raw and from an FCS program. He does have a more prototypical QB build but hasn’t played the position long. Yet here we are with Jimmy G on the free market.
As has been stated this is the type of situation that is probably best for him. Take a year with 0 pressure. Learn the more complex schemes of the NFL and start to prove behind the scenes that you have what it takes to be the starting QB when Tannehills contract runs out.
Baybird, rmiller1959 liked this
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:46 am I think you are close. You need to be projected to start ‘soon’ if not immediately. This whole process I was very interested to see how Willis compared to the guy SF drafted last year. Trey Lance was super raw and from an FCS program. He does have a more prototypical QB build but hasn’t played the position long. Yet here we are with Jimmy G on the free market.
As has been stated this is the type of situation that is probably best for him. Take a year with 0 pressure. Learn the more complex schemes of the NFL and start to prove behind the scenes that you have what it takes to be the starting QB when Tannehills contract runs out.
That's an excellent comparison! Trey Lance is physically gifted but played only 19 games in college. He was pressed into service for a couple of games when Jimmy G was hurt, and it was pretty clear that he wasn't ready yet. I think Malik is in a great situation, my disappointment in not seeing him go in the 1st round notwithstanding.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rmiller1959 wrote: April 30th, 2022, 1:24 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:46 am I think you are close. You need to be projected to start ‘soon’ if not immediately. This whole process I was very interested to see how Willis compared to the guy SF drafted last year. Trey Lance was super raw and from an FCS program. He does have a more prototypical QB build but hasn’t played the position long. Yet here we are with Jimmy G on the free market.
That's an excellent comparison! Trey Lance is physically gifted but played only 19 games in college. He was pressed into service for a couple of games when Jimmy G was hurt, and it was pretty clear that he wasn't ready yet. I think Malik is in a great situation, my disappointment in not seeing him go in the 1st round notwithstanding.
That’s why I’d like to see some Football guru do a breakdown between the two. Why take a chance on a Trey Lance and not a Malik Willis
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]