If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

ALUmnus wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:54 pm That was a good-faith response there, postie. you've won the day with your presumptive sarcasm. This is my felt pain, now is the time to listen. After all, this actually does mean something to me, I don't know why you even care.

Ah, yes, the good old dictionary argument. Webster has done all the work for you, so why bother actually looking into the history of the nickname and put some deep thought into it.

You guys really dislike a difference of opinion, it seems. If one veers off course from the zeitgeist, you're all over it.
I love difference of opinions. This message board has always been filled with people with very strong opinions. In fact, in the old flamefans slogan once had "opinionated" as part of our slogan.
Also, I honestly don't care what the Redskins call themselves. I understand why it could be viewed as racially insensitive and I also understand why lifelong fans will find this news to be upsetting for nostalgia sake. I just can find the irony in some people who are quick to pounce on "cancel culture", then turn around and do the same thing.

It just proves that cancel culture exists in all political realms.
I'm all for a difference of opinion. I'm neutral at best on the name. If they changed it - I get it. If they didn't - it doesn't impact my life at all. I just don't understand throwing away a lifetime of fandom over this decision. That's what I'm trying to understand.
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:22 pm Besides the fact it is racially insensitive, it is an incredibly dumb name. How dumb would a team naming themselves the whiteskins be?

People get attached to names, I get it. Nostalgia and all of that but the outcry from some fans seems a bit over the top to me. But I get it, cancel culture and all that. You can't let them dems have all the fun, right? :lol:
It would probably be “Palefaces” and I’d be ok with it.
Redskins being racist is :BS but it’s Snyder’s team he can do with it what he will. Having those FedEx dollars are a big motivator to change the name
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:14 pm This isn't on Snyder. He didn't want to change the name because there is a lot of history there but sponsors are a very important part of pro sports, especially this season when fans probably won't be in attendance.
He could have tried to get another sponsor. But that would have been expensive. He could have told them to pound sand or taken their money.....
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:23 pm Would you have done that with millions on the line during such a volatile time? I wouldn't of, that's for sure.
Neither of us are that wealthy either. Some would. Some would not. I don’t know what his balance sheet looks like.
Atlanta is keeping Braves. Cleveland will probably keep Indians. KC will keep Chiefs. Actually saw pressure now on the Texas Rangers is being applied to change their name. You can never win or do enough when trying to appease the mob
Purple Haize wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:34 pm
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:23 pm Would you have done that with millions on the line during such a volatile time? I wouldn't of, that's for sure.
Neither of us are that wealthy either. Some would. Some would not. I don’t know what his balance sheet looks like.
Atlanta is keeping Braves. Cleveland will probably keep Indians. KC will keep Chiefs. Actually saw pressure now on the Texas Rangers is being applied to change their name. You can never win or do enough when trying to appease the mob
I'd say the Braves and Chiefs keeping their names is winning despite the mob. The Braves are likely going to stop using the tomahawk chop but they're keeping the name. To me that's a win.
Yes. The Braves and Chiefs are not giving in to the mob. Saying they are doing away with the Tomahawk Chop is brilliant. What are they going to do? Arrest fans who start it?
Having gotten the Redskins notched on their belt SJW’s will be on to the next contrived grievance
This all for money and not for making things right. Let's continue wearing history toake people feel okay for a second then they will aim for something else to eradicate (maybe the name Cowboys). This is another example of how 1984 and a Brave New World is becoming a reality. I'm the end, everything will be racist and all the corporations will join the bandwagon pretending that they care for financial reasons. The cycle repeats itself.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:01 pm Native American nicknames have been getting phased out for 40 years. Were you all this offended when Syracuse, Stanford, and St. John changed their names?
Offended? No. Thought it was stupid? Yes
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Once again I am amused by these "race" discussions that don't include the folks that are being targeted. We have a long and distinguished history of racist symbolism in this country. Those that created those symbols were purposely racist. They were meant to be offensive. They were meant to belittle the race in question. Uncle Ben's Aunt Jemima and things like that were so ingrained in our society and should have been removed LONG ago.

If we are saying "this isn't us" "we aren't racist", "All Lives Matter" "I want to keep my racist logo/nickname". Maybe you need to ask yourself why the push back? If you don't want to be called offensive, why defend what we can all agree is offensive? This culture war is a culture war because of the push back. Stuff we should all agree on, some of the population is against in terms of progress and progressive movements. Why is a push for EQUALITY so threatening? Those that evoke the image and words of Martin Luther King as an example of leadership, fail to recall that his approval rating was near single digits and he was in fact murdered. Also 33% of Americans felt like he brought his murder on himself! This country has a LONG way to go in terms of race and acknowledging these inequities happened/are happening would be a nice start.

Police reform, prison reform and justice reform are things that will take time. Why not allow these low hanging fruit type things to just happen without so much resistance? If your argument is "where will it end?" You need to evaluate and acknowledge that the deck is stacked in YOUR favor (privilege is a hot button term but yeah it applies).
TH Spangler wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:50 pm I understand they want more names changed. Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks, KC Chiefs, Florida State Seminoles and many more. As far as sports is concerned, native american history will no longer be recognized. They are "canceled". Good by?
None of these are offensive or racist, including REDSKINS. All Redskins' fans should boycott their stadium/games. Also, march on Redskins Headquarters with a massive protest. America cannot afford to give in to the sorry liberals.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:33 pm
TH Spangler wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:50 pm I understand they want more names changed. Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks, KC Chiefs, Florida State Seminoles and many more. As far as sports is concerned, native american history will no longer be recognized. They are "canceled". Good by?
None of these are offensive or racist, including REDSKINS. All Redskins' fans should boycott their stadium/games. Also, march on Redskins Headquarters with a massive protest. America cannot afford to give in to the sorry liberals.
I’m not sure that an old white guy from the south is the best arbiter of what is racist.
TIMSCAR20 liked this
adam42381 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm
I’m not sure that an old white guy from the south is the best arbiter of what is racist.
Which is why we have two old white dudes from the north running for president!

Sorry. That contributed nothing worthwhile to the thread. Carry on.
@TIMSCAR20 here are some people directly involved. (I’m with you on several of your other points)

https://www.wusa9.com/article/sports/nf ... 03326cc338

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... D_50-dni4J

https://406mtsports.com/football/washin ... e3997.html

The other side of the argument is how it is perceived by “the other side”. I’m not a Redskins fan, but look at the ones who are. They don’t perceive or look at it as an insult but rather an honor. When you have the Blackfoot Tribe help with the naming and logo design, that bestows a sense of honor. The organization was trying to honor native tribes not belittle or characterize them. IMVHO, FSU does a fantastic job with the Seminole Nation and how they incorporate and listen to feedback to make sure everything is “kosher”. It probably would have been a great idea to do that with the Redskins as well but that didn’t happen. In the end, this is pro sports, and pro sports is about money. That’s what this move was based upon.
How that all relates to Prison Reform and Prosecutorial misconduct I have no idea. But I would wager we are of pretty similar minds on that :D
TIMSCAR20 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm I take it you aren't native american or even a minority Ball Coach. Sorry you can't see how a mascot of a race of people isn't offensive. Bet you'd be offended though if we had the Cleveland Caucasians playing football, not because of race but because Cleveland is sooo bad at football. :P
You could call them ANYTHING and no one would notice. :D :D
I think Cleveland Caucasian’s or Portland Pale Faces would be kinda cool though to be honest
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
None of these are offensive or racist, including REDSKINS.
Ballcoach, how many Native Americans have you interviewed or surveyed to come up with your conclusion? :dontgetit
Purple Haize wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:02 pm
TIMSCAR20 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:48 pm I take it you aren't native american or even a minority Ball Coach. Sorry you can't see how a mascot of a race of people isn't offensive. Bet you'd be offended though if we had the Cleveland Caucasians playing football, not because of race but because Cleveland is sooo bad at football. :P
You could call them ANYTHING and no one would notice. :D :D
I think Cleveland Caucasian’s or Portland Pale Faces would be kinda cool though to be honest
How about Washington Alligators or Moccasins as in Swamp Critters.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote: July 13th, 2020, 12:41 pm Count me as one lifelong Redskins fan who is no longer, and that's not easy to write.

It was a convenient time for them to pull the plug, though, as fans can't express their protest if stadiums are empty.
Uhhh, FedEx field was empty on game day prior to the pandemic. The Patriots had more fans there than the Redskins did.
thepostman liked this

I don't know if it's changed since I went but the […]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]