If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ill flame
I may have missed you guys talking about it but the Navajo nation suggested the Code Talkers. I think this is what they'll end up going with if they still want to pay homage to native Americans.
Purple Haize wrote: July 14th, 2020, 10:37 pm
I mean the movie was atrocious
Their exploits remarkable
The story not a bright spot in American Military
Great marketing options
0 to do with the greater DC area
Gotta be careful with that mascot as well
I really don't know what the Redskins had to do with DC either. It comes from their roots with the Boston Braves so clearly is hasn't actually mattered.

The Tuskegee Airmen were and are a very proud group of people. When I was about 1 year into my career, I had the honor of hearing a couple of them speak and had lunch with them and will always hold them in very high regard so clearly i have a soft spot.

It seems to be the most popular name possibility and there have been some great logo ideas floating around but it does come with mixed reviews from surviving Tuskegee Airmen but probably not for the reason one would think

Pro Name:
“Absolutely,” says Brown, 95, from from his home in Port Clinton, Ohio. Brown is one of the nine surviving Tuskegee pilots who flew in combat. “Thinking about it sort of selfishly in terms of our own legacy, we are running out of pilots,” says Brown. “Waiting a few years, that would be the end of us. I don’t know of a better way to keep that name alive than to put it on a name right behind ‘Washington.'”
Opposed Name:
the renaming doesn’t enjoy universal support. “I am not sure they are worthy of the Red Tail name,” Lt. Col. James Harvey, 97, writes in an email. “They don’t win that many games plus a lot of the players have a… Poor attitude. But, it is not my call. Just the way I feel at this point in time.”
So basically the Redskins have been losers and he doesn't want to be associated with that. I love this guy even more. :lol:

Edit: Forgot to add the link where these quotes come from

https://time.com/5866636/washington-nfl ... red-tails/
flamehunter liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And I think we have a local link to the Tuskegee Airmen with our very own Chauncey Spencer (son of poet Anne Spencer) who both lived on Pierce Street in Lynchburg.

Chauncey Spencer...was to continue his mother's legacy of activism, playing a prominent role in military service during World War II. Chauncey's actions and determination led to the formation of the Tuskegee Airmen. Chauncey Spencer was to become a noted member of that group at a time when African American pilots had been refused military service as pilots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Spencer
Last edited by Cider Jim on July 15th, 2020, 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
@thepostman I get it about the Braves but the team DID move and it’s general practice to keep the name. Cause there aren’t a lot of Lakes in Los Angeles or a happenin Jazz scene in Utah for instance.

But if you are renaming a team it’s generally practiced that it reflects the city/state/region it represents Right Ravens fans?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2020, 8:56 am But if you are renaming a team it’s generally practiced that it reflects the city/state/region it represents Right Ravens fans?
Purple and I know why the Ravens got their name, but does BALLCOACH? (without googling)
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2020, 8:56 am But if you are renaming a team it’s generally practiced that it reflects the city/state/region it represents Right Ravens fans?
Not sure how the Tennessee Titans feel about that.

Or most minor league baseball teams.

It's definitely best practice, but there are tons of examples of names not representing the region.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 15th, 2020, 10:43 am

It's definitely best practice, but there are tons of examples of names not representing the region.
Minor leagues do have a tradition of offkey local tie ins Tin Caps in Ft Wayne. HillCats in Lynchburg. Area 51’s in Vegas. Etc.

The Titans were the Oilers so not sure that would have worked. And with Nashville being the Athens of the South “Titans” seems a reasonable tie in
The reason Tennessee went with Titans is because the NFL already owned the trademark and they could retrofit it in with the reason you just said.

Some minor leagues have the off key tie ins, but Trash Pandas, Biscuits, Flying Squirrels, and River Bandits are more just names than they are any real tie in.
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2020, 10:55 am

Minor leagues do have a tradition of offkey local tie ins Tin Caps in Ft Wayne. HillCats in Lynchburg. Area 51’s in Vegas. Etc.

The Titans were the Oilers so not sure that would have worked. And with Nashville being the Athens of the South “Titans” seems a reasonable tie in
I need an education on the Akron Rubber Ducks
Class of 20Something wrote: July 15th, 2020, 12:15 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2020, 10:55 am

Akron is the Rubber capital of the world. At one time Goodyear, General, Goodrich and Firestone were all headquartered there.
And they have at least some ducks who live there.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 15th, 2020, 11:06 am The reason Tennessee went with Titans is because the NFL already owned the trademark and they could retrofit it in with the reason you just said.

Some minor leagues have the off key tie ins, but Trash Pandas, Biscuits, Flying Squirrels, and River Bandits are more just names than they are any real tie in.
River Bandits are in Quad Cities actually on a river
If memory serves Trash Pandas was a social media voted name which I think is a cool trend (yes I follow Boaty McBoatface on Twitter)

I mean we can go through every team name if you want but by and large teams try to have names that reflect the community if they are going to be renamed
You're arguing the same point I am.

"By and large teams try to have names that reflect the community" is the same thing as "It's definitely best practice." I'm just giving examples of places that have done it differently.
PH is arguing for the fun of it. We all know that teams tend to name their teams based on the area and I have admitted this is just me wanting the name. I'm well aware there are no DC connections.
thepostman wrote: July 15th, 2020, 1:43 pm PH is arguing for the fun of it. We all know that teams tend to name their teams based on the area and I have admitted this is just me wanting the name. I'm well aware there are no DC connections.
No I have legit put reasons down. You are not the only one advocating for this name.
Jon is the one who said teams don’t all name themselves after the area and then gave horrible examples.
I gave examples of actual exceptions
Go back to your chair!
flamehunter wrote: July 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: July 15th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Akron is the Rubber capital of the world. At one time Goodyear, General, Goodrich and Firestone were all headquartered there.
And they have at least some ducks who live there.
I literally flew into Akron earlier this year and sell rubber products for a living and didn't ever catch that. Now that area makes some significant money with Stainless Steel.
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:22 pm Besides the fact it is racially insensitive, it is an incredibly dumb name. How dumb would a team naming themselves the whiteskins be?

People get attached to names, I get it. Nostalgia and all of that but the outcry from some fans seems a bit over the top to me. But I get it, cancel culture and all that. You can't let them dems have all the fun, right? :lol:
More appropriate than whiteskins, at least for getting an insulting point across, would be white trash.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As long as Snyder is not forced out by the league owners, the name change will most certainly be to the Warriors. Trademark already in pocket and it honors Native Americans in a very safe way. If they were to go with Redtails it would be a brazen afront to Native Americans. Some might shrug that off considering the demographics of the District. But this is no longer a local story and has national implications.

Now if Snyder is required to sell, it opens up a slew of possibilities that have been discussed in the thread and everywhre else ad nauseum.

While we are on it, how long until the Cleveland Indians make it official what everyone in Ohio has been calling them their whole lives: The Tribe. Once again it honors Native Americans in a positive way that doesn't spotlight one tribe over another.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]