If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/294 ... me-changed
The Washington Redskins will officially announce Monday morning that they will be changing their nickname, though no new name will be revealed just yet, a source confirmed Sunday night
I think we all saw this coming. I don't have strong opinions one way or another on this but what are some name ideas?

Washington Redtails has had some traction.

I'm sure this thread will be fun :D

Keep it civil.
adam42381 liked this
I’m glad I bought a Redskins mini helmet when I was in Indiana last week. Seriously a collectors item now
Having been a Redskins fan all my life, I might be done with them. I may put them on my list with Notre Dame, UVA, Big 10 and Louisville.
Redskins owner should tell the liberals to go to _______.
You're such a loyal fan! Wait, are you cancelling the Washington Redskins (or whatever they will be called now)? How dare you give in to cancel culture!! :lol:

Joking aside, I can certainly understand being a little sentimental about the name of a team i have followed and supported all my life but such is life. Teams have moved, changed their names for decades. I know that there is a political aspect of this which upsets some people and I get that but such is life sometimes I guess.
As a Cowboys fan the childhood idea of Cowboys and Indians dies a little bit. I hope they can find a solution that honors Indians. I think it's ironic if they take an icon that was meant to honor one minority and use it to honor another.

I like the Red Tail/Wings/Wolves ideas. I'm looking forward to a sleek design.
thepostman liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I hate Dan Snyder. That’s all I got.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Count me as one lifelong Redskins fan who is no longer, and that's not easy to write.

It was a convenient time for them to pull the plug, though, as fans can't express their protest if stadiums are empty.
ALUmnus wrote: July 13th, 2020, 12:41 pm Count me as one lifelong Redskins fan who is no longer, and that's not easy to write.

It was a convenient time for them to pull the plug, though, as fans can't express their protest if stadiums are empty.
What stadium? Their hand got forced. They wouldn't have had a place to play with the name.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:05 pm You guys would really give up a lifetime of fandom - one full of suffering through terrible teams - because the team got rid of their racist nickname?
The name change has brought me back. I haven't really watched them at all since the RGIII injury killed any hope for me. The racist nickname didn't help.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:05 pm You guys would really give up a lifetime of fandom - one full of suffering through terrible teams - because the team got rid of their racist nickname?
yep, sorry if that bothers you. and I won't concede that "Redskins" is racist. But now that it's gone, you can go find something else to be bothered about.
Besides the fact it is racially insensitive, it is an incredibly dumb name. How dumb would a team naming themselves the whiteskins be?

People get attached to names, I get it. Nostalgia and all of that but the outcry from some fans seems a bit over the top to me. But I get it, cancel culture and all that. You can't let them dems have all the fun, right? :lol:
lynchburgwildcats liked this
ALUmnus wrote: July 13th, 2020, 1:13 pm and I won't concede that "Redskins" is racist.
Webster's defines it as "offensive", American Heritage Dictionary say it's "offensive slang used as a disparaging term", Dictionary.com says it's "disparaging and offensive", Random House called it "insulting", and Collins English Dictionary says it's "taboo".

Even if it's not racist, if the general definition of the word is considered to be those things, why should it be defended as socially acceptable?
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
White liberals are really the only people who are offended. Even the majority of Native Americans aren’t offended by the name.

Of course, that’s assuming people use facts over feelings.

Never give the left an inch. As soon as you give in, they won’t love you. They’ll just find the next phony crisis to blow out of proportion. In the case, they’ll go after the organization formerly known as the Redskins for ever having been named the Redskins and cancel everybody.
Purple Haize liked this
I understand they want more names changed. Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Blackhawks, KC Chiefs, Florida State Seminoles and many more. As far as sports is concerned, native american history will no longer be recognized. They are "canceled". Good by?
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
That was a good-faith response there, postie. you've won the day with your presumptive sarcasm. This is my felt pain, now is the time to listen. After all, this actually does mean something to me, I don't know why you even care.

Ah, yes, the good old dictionary argument. Webster has done all the work for you, so why bother actually looking into the history of the nickname and put some deep thought into it.

You guys really dislike a difference of opinion, it seems. If one veers off course from the zeitgeist, you're all over it.
I knew Florida State would come up at some point. It isn't even close to the same thing and anybody who quesrions FSU is quickly educated by the school and the Seminole tribe.

So no, nobody with any credibility want the Seminoles to change their name. The school has a decades long relationship with the Seminole Tribe which is much more than the Redskins can say.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/seminol ... nt=FBtimes
“The Tribe views the relationship as a multi-dimensional collaboration that provides meaningful educational opportunities and other positive outcomes,” tribe spokesman Gary Bitner said. “The Tribe also applauds President Thrasher’s recent announcement of a special task force on anti-racism and racial equality.”
lynchburgwildcats liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]