If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:01 pm Native American nicknames have been getting phased out for 40 years. Were you all this offended when Syracuse, Stanford, and St. John changed their names?
John, you can make this point, but your examples are horrible. Syracuse were called the Orangemen because of Dutch history. St. John's were called the Redmen because, get this, they wore red! Had nothing to do with native americans, but only changed because of "perceived" insensitivity.
Purple Haize liked this
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:30 pm The military card would help soften the blow with the ballcoach type crowd.
Not gonna lie, Veterans is my favorite. You can do a lot with that. Plus, how can anyone really be upset with it! I mean there will be some for-reasons- but I know want it to be Veterans

I have spoken
ALUmnus wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:32 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:01 pm Native American nicknames have been getting phased out for 40 years. Were you all this offended when Syracuse, Stanford, and St. John changed their names?
John, you can make this point, but your examples are horrible. Syracuse were called the Orangemen because of Dutch history. St. John's were called the Redmen because, get this, they wore red! Had nothing to do with native americans, but only changed because of "perceived" insensitivity.
Syracuse used a Native American mascot named Saltine Warrior until 1978.

St. John’s used a Native American mascot named Chief Blackjack until 1994.

You are correct in where the names started originally and the original intent, but they both developed insensitive mascots over time which is why the names were changed.
Purple Haize wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:32 pm
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:30 pm The military card would help soften the blow with the ballcoach type crowd.
Not gonna lie, Veterans is my favorite. You can do a lot with that. Plus, how can anyone really be upset with it! I mean there will be some for-reasons- but I know want it to be Veterans

I have spoken
Well it will be something military related, so you may end up being right.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:17 pm Not these days! I had to go to DC last week and got there in record time! :D
Once agencies reopen their offices (because lets be honest, they're not going to follow the private sector to full-time telework), that'll change.
thepostman liked this
Cider Jim wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:03 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 4:33 pm
None of these are offensive or racist, including REDSKINS.
Ballcoach, how many Native Americans have you interviewed or surveyed to come up with your conclusion? :dontgetit
I have been a REDSKINS fan long enough to not have to interview or survey anyone. The REDSKINS name honors the native Americans.
I just hope relatives of some Old West Cowboys, come forward and call for Dallas to change their name. Based on rationale of liberals, Cowboys are just as offensive as REDSKINS. And don't leave the Tampa Bay Rays. I have a couple relatives named Ray. I find that totally offensive.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 13th, 2020, 5:15 pm
Washington Veterans
Has "Veterans" been suggested by others, or is that original with Spangler? :usa Either way, I love it, even if, ironically, Ballcoach would probably still boycott that name! :nono
I also like "Federals" as a second choice.
olldflame liked this
@Cider Jim and that is what makes it such an interesting idea. You have some vocal people who are very opposed to dropping the name but if the name is some sort of tribute to the military, it puts those people in a very interesting spot.

If this is the direction they go, it'll be fun as an outsider to see how it plays out.
@ballcoach15, that is debatable but this isn't the place for that debate. Hypothetically speaking, if they did use this as a way to honor the military and did so with a name, would you still support the team?
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I'm not a Liberal or Conservative because I believe that rooting for a team in Politics is pointless. Each side has redeemable things and some things that are not worth pursuing. Partisanship calls for support of things that are indefensible and I don't want to be put in that position.

Having said that, Oldflame I genuinely am asking what makes you think Liberals don't support the Military? It is a false narrative. I have seen protests of wars that should not have taken place or the over-use of minority lives in these battles but nobody I have seen has ever protested the actual Military.

Also hero worship of veterans is wrong and flawed. There are guys that are heroes and guys that are committing atrocities. We know because this President has pardoned a few of them. The problem I have in today's politics is that there is not a consensus on what truth even is anymore. Also intellectual honesty is lost. Painting the totality of one side as if the extremists are the norm while ignoring the extremists on your own side and using the best of your own side to represent the entire group.

This us vs them partisanship is horrible. I find it interesting too Oldflame that you suspected the NY Governor Cuomo of possibly cooking the books then mentioned Florida in the very next sentence. Florida has been caught cooking the books! But Cuomo is a Democrat (automatically evil and to be suspected of dishonesty) while DeSantis is a Republican (above reproach and anyone who says otherwise is fake news). I'm picking on Oldflame a bit who I think is a genuinely good dude. My point is we need to start evaluating behaviors without a partisan eye. It would help move our country forward in a ton of areas. Not my guy Oldflame but I suspect some would like to roll back the clock rather than move forward.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]