If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:33 am Man makes statement.

Other man doesn’t like it, decides he doesn’t want to associate with first man.

Both men meet to discuss the issue.

They come to an understanding.

No one was imprisoned for what they said.

Pretty sure free speech is alive and well in this situation.
Man looses job.

What then?
Purple Haize wrote: June 16th, 2020, 8:04 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:33 am Man makes statement.

Other man doesn’t like it, decides he doesn’t want to associate with first man.

Both men meet to discuss the issue.

They come to an understanding.

No one was imprisoned for what they said.

Pretty sure free speech is alive and well in this situation.
Man looses job.

What then?
coach goes to a school that pushes back against cancel culture.
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 10:05 am If there aren’t any then the market has spoken about what people want.
Or the tyranny of the mob has taken over
So should the government get involved? I don't really understand where you are going with this.

In my opinion that is a dangerous road to go down and the government can not be trusted. It also is unconstitutional but let's be honest. Neither of fhe political parties in power care about that old document.
thepostman wrote: June 16th, 2020, 10:29 am
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 10:05 am If there aren’t any then the market has spoken about what people want.
Or the tyranny of the mob has taken over
So should the government get involved? I don't really understand where you are going with this.

In my opinion that is a dangerous road to go down and the government can not be trusted. It also is unconstitutional but let's be honest. Neither of fhe political parties in power care about that old document.
I don’t know. I don’t want the Government involved. It’s more a reflection of what our culture has become. And it isn’t something to be proud of
jinxy liked this
They will destroy themselves. Let them do it. They'll come out conservatives because of the experience. They're busy holding a grudge against the right for the stuff they did. Soon enough when they've punished all dissent, they'll realize their mistake.

Sometimes I warn my daughter not to walk in my steel toes. I know it won't end well. If she refuses to listen, she will trip and learn and then we get to have a more valuable conversation.
Class of 20Something wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:40 am They will destroy themselves. Let them do it. They'll come out conservatives because of the experience. They're busy holding a grudge against the right for the stuff they did. Soon enough when they've punished all dissent, they'll realize their mistake.

Sometimes I warn my daughter not to walk in my steel toes. I know it won't end well. If she refuses to listen, she will trip and learn and then we get to have a more valuable conversation.
You give them too much credit. Your daughter is undoubtedly smarter than many of the screamers.
LUOrange liked this
LUDad wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm Someone takes a picture of coach and two other chaps standing on a dock after a fishing trip and apparently posts it. Coach happens to be wearing a tee shirt that had a small logo on it. The thought police goes berserk because the logo it that of a conservative site. This has gone way to far.
What you're seeing is only what's happening above the surface. Other athletes responded to him saying things needed to change as well. There are obviously other things happening that none of us see.

Gundy has said he was going to work to change things.

The OSU president said "the tweets from current and former players are of grave concern."

College athletics has been a culture where players were expected to be quiet and be thankful for their scholarship regardless of how they were treated by coaches. We're seeing the tide shift by that and players are becoming more aware of the weight of their voice and the power they have to be treated fairly.

That said, as you're first discovering that voice, you make mistakes. You do things in ways you shouldn't and that you end up regretting. There's an immaturity from being 21 years old and for having a new tool you don't know how to use.

The player in question here has also stated he did things in a way that wasn't best:
“I’ll start off by first saying I went about it the wrong way by Tweeting,” Hubbard said. “I’m not somebody that has to Tweet something to make change. I should have went to him as a man. I’m more about action. So that was bad on my part. But from now on, we’re going to focus more on bringing change, and that’s the most important thing.”
I'm glad to see student athletes finding their voice. It's going to be messy and they're going to make mistakes - we all did when we were younger - but part of college is learning these things.
JK37, lynchburgwildcats liked this
LUDad wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm Someone takes a picture of coach and two other chaps standing on a dock after a fishing trip and apparently posts it. Coach happens to be wearing a tee shirt that had a small logo on it. The thought police goes berserk because the logo it that of a conservative site. This has gone way to far.
Of course wearing a Che Guevara or Malcolm X tshirt is totally ok
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm
What you're seeing is only what's happening above the surface. Other athletes responded to him saying things needed to change as well. There are obviously other things happening that none of us see.

The OSU president said "the tweets from current and former players are of grave concern."

College athletics has been a culture where players were expected to be quiet and be thankful for their scholarship regardless of how they were treated by coaches. We're seeing the tide shift by that and players are becoming more aware of the weight of their voice and the power they have to be treated fairly.

That said, as you're first discovering that voice, you make mistakes. You do things in ways you shouldn't and that you end up regretting. There's an immaturity from being 21 years old and for having a new tool you don't know how to use.

The player in question here has also stated he did things in a way that wasn't best:
“I’ll start off by first saying I went about it the wrong way by Tweeting,” Hubbard said. “I’m not somebody that has to Tweet something to make change. I should have went to him as a man. I’m more about action. So that was bad on my part. But from now on, we’re going to focus more on bringing change, and that’s the most important thing.”
I'm glad to see student athletes finding their voice. It's going to be messy and they're going to make mistakes - we all did when we were younger - but part of college is learning these things.
Yah, too bad the coach cannot have a voice. It was either cave or be fired.
Purple Haize, jinxy liked this
By LUDad
LUDad wrote: June 16th, 2020, 8:24 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Yah, too bad the coach cannot have a voice. It was either cave or be fired. 3" round logo was of a conservative news site. What's outlawed next?

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]