If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 8th, 2020, 5:37 am Purple, if you would have read the first sentence of the linked article, it said "the United States."

Later in the article, it says that song is "featured in 39 different Christian hymnals, and is sung in churches across North America" and that it is sung to the melody of the "Star Spangled Banner."
I have heard "Lift Every Voice and Sing" many times, and sung it more than once. Never heard it sung to the melody of the Star Spangled Banner, and really, the words don't even fit with it. Check it out.

It is, quite frankly, a far superior piece of music to the Star Spangled Banner, which is set to the tune of an old drinking song and is extremely difficult to sing well. The words are pretty amazing too.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: July 8th, 2020, 5:37 am Purple, if you would have read the first sentence of the linked article, it said "the United States."

Later in the article, it says that song is "featured in 39 different Christian hymnals, and is sung in churches across North America" and that it is sung to the melody of the "Star Spangled Banner."
You’re saying it’s a parody of the Star Spangled Banner. Like Weird Al singing White and Nerdy or Eat it. That doesn’t answer the question ‘What Country does it represent’? If it’s a National Anthem it sorta needs a Nation

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple, for the second time, I have said that is is a Negro Anthem for the United States (aka, America or 'Merica).
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 8th, 2020, 9:26 am You’re saying it’s a parody of the Star Spangled Banner. Like Weird Al singing White and Nerdy or Eat it.
I have no intentions of getting into the middle of this, but that isn't how "hymns" work Haize. Many, many, many reuse the tune of one for another. It isn't parody or disrespect at all.

For that matter, "My Country Tis of Thee" uses "God Save the Queen!"
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple, you need to read my post above and listen to the video. It's a totally original song. Not sure what Cider's source was, but it is wrong as far as the melody is concerned. Lift Every Voice was/is basically the anthem of the civil rights movement.
Last edited by olldflame on July 8th, 2020, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: July 8th, 2020, 4:32 pm I'm fairly certain the Star Spangled Banner uses a British tune.
As I stated above, it's from an old drinking song, and I believe the original words are R-rated.

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It's almost certainly just delaying the inevitable, but the NFL's decision to substitute Lift Every Voice for the National Anthem opening week will avoid/delay the drama over who doesn't kneel.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Lookit. I know the song. I just keep hearing it called The Black National Anthem. If you really are going to want to give me a music history lesson you’re gonna have to come with stronger games than the STar Spangled Banner was a drinking song and God Bless America was a spin on God save the king.
I just wanna know why we are playing something that’s being labeled the Black National Anthem. No one has given me a good answer. You’ve said it’s a hymn. A negro spiritual and anthem. But not why it’s a National Anthem.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure who it was who decided to call it the "Negro National Anthem", with "Negro" later being changed to "Black". I'm not a fan of it either, which is why I refer to the song by it's actual name.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 8th, 2020, 5:51 pm I'm not sure who it was who decided to call it the "Negro National Anthem", with "Negro" later being changed to "Black". I'm not a fan of it either, which is why I refer to the song by it's actual name.
And I’m ok with that.

@thepostman if it’s a National Anthem I’m not sure why you say it’s semantics trying to figure out what Nation we are talking about
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple and Olldflame, here is the version of the song sung to the melody of the "Star Spangled Banner."

By Class of 20Something
I'll say the reasoning. I don't claim this as my view. But here is your strawman to attack. I like the exercise of presenting both sides.

When this country was founded and frankly through the civil Rights movement, blacks we not considered citizens not given equal rights in the USA. They have their own national anthem because they were deliberately excluded from the traditional anthem.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Literally bought a Redskins mini helmet today up here in Indiana. I feel like I just bought contraband that I’ll be sneaking back in to VA
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: