If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
All Liberal Democrats deny they are in fact liberal Democrats.
thepostman liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 1:27 am
lynchburgwildcats wrote: June 21st, 2020, 11:37 pm
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 11:01 am I’m an average watcher of the NBA, only increasing lately now that I live in an NBA locality. That said, the season is too long as it is. Hard to get up for games four months from playoff time when half the league makes the playoffs. And the playoffs take almost two months themselves. Start at Christmas, fine. But going all the way to August just sound like overkill to me. I’ll take my baseball in summer, please and thank you.
MLB regular season is as long as the NBA's

I do agree the NBA playoffs take too long, but that's mostly because of TV nowadays. They want to prevent as much overlap as realistically possible to get ratings up, as better ratings = more TV money and more advertising money.
MLB plays double the games in the same length of time and the playoffs take half the time. It's amazing that a sport that plays almost 200 games before they hit the playoffs can finish a season in less time than the NBA and nhl. Whatever it takes to make that money I guess.
And the MLB is a significantly less demanding sport physically than the NBA is. Aside from a pitcher's arm, it's easily the least physically demanding of all the major team sports by a significant margin. A player can potentially go for as long three innings with the only physical activity they have in the game is a plate appearance.
Last edited by lynchburgwildcats on June 22nd, 2020, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 12:09 pm I am not a liberal democrat. You, I and everyone else should keep politics out of sports. Social justice BS and liberal politics have just about destroyed the nation., along with sports.

TV money is good, but when TV starts "writing in the rule book", it's time to draw the line.
Liberal politics and social justice is the only reason why the slaves got freed when they did, when women got the right to vote when they did, and when black people got the right to vote when they did. Are you saying that's bad?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 1:36 pm
Ill flame wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 1:27 am
lynchburgwildcats wrote: June 21st, 2020, 11:37 pm
MLB regular season is as long as the NBA's

I do agree the NBA playoffs take too long, but that's mostly because of TV nowadays. They want to prevent as much overlap as realistically possible to get ratings up, as better ratings = more TV money and more advertising money.
MLB plays double the games in the same length of time and the playoffs take half the time. It's amazing that a sport that plays almost 200 games before they hit the playoffs can finish a season in less time than the NBA and nhl. Whatever it takes to make that money I guess.
And the MLB is a significantly less demanding sport physically than the NBA is. Aside from a pitcher's arm, it's easily the least physically demanding of all the major team sports by a significant margin. A player can potentially go for as long three innings with the only physical activity they have in the game is a plate appearance.
In church league softball, years ago, I played every inning of a double-header one night, (14 innings). I never had a ball hit to me all night.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You just compared church league softball to professional baseball. Get out of here. Haha

Plus this is the NBA thread.

Talking about the NBA, they are going to a state seeing a steep increase in both cases and positivity rate. Granted the NBA bubble will be locked down pretty well, i can imagine some players may think twice about going. Especially players on teams that really have no chance at making much noise.

It'll be interesting.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When you're playing the outfield, the fundamentals are basically the same, regardless of level of play.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 3:37 pm You just compared church league softball to professional baseball. Get out of here. Haha

There’s a reason he should be renamed fraudcoach
thepostman liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The grind with baseball is all the travel and cumulative beating you take from hbp getting jammed sliding grounders diving and muscle strains etc.

Also catchers would disagree that pitchers are the only ones that need recovery.

The way the game played today makes it worse with k’s bb’s and hr’s accounting for 65 percent of the action.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 12:55 pm The grind with baseball is all the travel and cumulative beating you take from hbp getting jammed sliding grounders diving and muscle strains etc.

Also catchers would disagree that pitchers are the only ones that need recovery.

The way the game played today makes it worse with k’s bb’s and hr’s accounting for 65 percent of the action.
Soooo.... just like church softball :lol:
By Ill flame
jinxy wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 12:55 pm The grind with baseball is all the travel and cumulative beating you take from hbp getting jammed sliding grounders diving and muscle strains etc.

It's hard to debate that a single game of baseball is physically less demanding than the other sports although I would argue it's mentally and emotionally the most demanding sport by far since the only real off days they get are spent traveling across timezones to the next city.... I don't even remember how we got on this subject lol
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 3:41 pm I'm going to start deleting baseball posts. Back to the NBA.
What about church softball posts?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The NBA is officially back and the Jazz/Pelicans game was fantastic. Now onto Lakers/Clippers which should be a good one. Great to have the NBA back. At least for me.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Haha, i noticed that! Its real now!

I'm not feeling the virtual fans. I thought it would improve from what i saw for the scrimmages but it hasn't.

Oh well. Its just good to have some basketball back.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Agreed. It is just leggy, awkward and kind if distracting.

Oh well. The rest of the presentation is great.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m binge watching Battlestar Galactica
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm a huge Jonathan Issac fan and even bigger Orlando Magic fan. He becomes the first player to not wear the BLM shirt or kneel. But not for the reason many have seemed to think it was for.

Magic forward Jonathan Isaac only player to stand, not wear Black Lives Matter shirt during national anthem
Jonathan Issac wrote: I believe that Black Lives Matter. A lot went into my decision. And part of it is, first off, is my thought that kneeling or wearing a Black Lives Matter t-shirt don’t go hand in hand with supporting Black lives. So I felt like, just me personally, what it is that I believe is standing on the stance that: I do believe that Black Lives Matter, but I just felt like it was a decision that I had to make and I didn’t feel like putting that shirt on and kneeling went hand in hand in supporting Black lives, or that it made me support Black lives or not.
He then spoke about his faith which is a huge part of his life. He is very active in the Orlando community and his church where he is ordained and preaches from time to time.
Yahoo Sports wrote:He then spoke about his faith, saying he believes the answer to getting past all the evils of our society — including racism — is “the gospel.”

When asked to explain how kneeling correlates with his religion, Isaac said he didn’t think “kneeling or putting on a t-shirt, for me personally, is the answer. For me, Black lives are supported through the gospel.”
It seems his teammates support him which is all that matters but he is getting some criticism but not from anybody who knows what Issac is all about.

Charles Barkley spoke about this last night and how there will be a player who doesn't kneel for whatever reason and it important not to be critical.

I post all of this knowing full well most will not care but oh well.

With that said, the Magic won this afternoon and it was a great way to start my weekend.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Issac also lead the charge and assisted in feeding a lot of hungry and hurting people during the pandemic in the Orlando area. I have a ton of respect for him.

Also he scored 16 points in 16 minutes coming off a pretty serious knee injury and has the potential to be a monster in this league.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Good for him. He articulates what I think a lot of people feel
By Jonathan Carone
I’m all for his right to do it.

I watched his press conference answer and I’m a little confused with some of what he’s saying. I fully understand simply wearing a shirt or kneeling doesn’t do anything to help black lives - I’m with him on that.

When he got to the part of the Gospel, it sounded like he was saying the only thing that’ll help black lives is the Gospel. Did I misinterpret that?
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I am not and I repeat "not" trying to start an argument. But FACT, the only thing that will heal racism in this country is the Gospel. Racism is sin and it is against God and the only medication that will solve this issue along with any other sin issue is the Gospel.

isn't it ironic too that this guy for the NBA and the Giants pitcher in the MLB are getting assaulted on social media and even in blogs and other media sources for standing up for what they believe in. Yet, when Kapernick was the only one kneeling those same media people were applauding his courage.
Purple Haize, LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I’m all for his right to do it.

I watched his press conference answer and I’m a little confused with some of what he’s saying. I fully understand simply wearing a shirt or kneeling doesn’t do anything to help black lives - I’m with him on that.

When he got to the part of the Gospel, it sounded like he was saying the only thing that’ll help black lives is the Gospel. Did I misinterpret that?
Yes ultimately that is what he was saying (which ultimately he is correct) but the main message from knowing his background is that actions speak louder than words. The work he has done in the black community in Central Florida make it clear he is more interested in doing the work and spreading the gospel. I'm obviously bias but there are people calling him an uncle tom or praising him for "respecting the flag unlike those others players" both of those attitudes are missing the point.

Hopefully he can fully express his reasoning when not in an awkward virtual press conference.

He is also 22 years old and still learning to navigate this world.

I don't want to make this seem like I am against players kneeling because I'm not but the reasoning he gave, to me, was much better then spewing the conservative media's talking points about BLM being a marxist org, etc.

Regardless. This Bucks/Celtics game going on right now has been fun.
Purple Haize liked this
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]