If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:41 am
lynchburgwildcats wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:11 pm Better access to voting is great. What that has to do with the boycott I have no idea. Scores of places could be provided as polling places. But maybe they want to make it an event? Come vote and get your picture taken with an NBA player.
It’s something but wouldn’t have stopped anything they walked out on.
Closing polling places that largely negatively impact minorities is a widely known voter suppression tactic.
Just curious, why and how were polling places closed to begin with? Why weren't they using the same places/precincts they always have. Where I live, we have the same polling places in precincts all other the county; they've been voting locations for several years.
Because the Voting Rights Act, which regulates this stuff, was gutted but be Supreme Court in 2013 because they deemed racism to largely be over.

They claim in Georgia that it’s to save tax payer dollars, but if it was about tax payer dollars, then why is it that the polling precincts being removed are largely in minority neighborhoods?

Of course Georgia isn’t the only one doing it. It’s a large problem throughput the South where Jim Crow laws were most prevalent. It’s no surprise that for several years running now in the South when you see that the precincts with the longest wait times and most problems are disproportionately the precincts for minorities. It’s just straight up voter suppression.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:41 am
lynchburgwildcats wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 28th, 2020, 5:11 pm Better access to voting is great. What that has to do with the boycott I have no idea. Scores of places could be provided as polling places. But maybe they want to make it an event? Come vote and get your picture taken with an NBA player.
It’s something but wouldn’t have stopped anything they walked out on.
Closing polling places that largely negatively impact minorities is a widely known voter suppression tactic.
Just curious, why and how were polling places closed to begin with? Why weren't they using the same places/precincts they always have. Where I live, we have the same polling places in precincts all other the county; they've been voting locations for several years.
Most likely a money and efficiency move. You have to staff these polling places and people willing to do that are growing few and far between. Now if the NBA has players and staff manning polling places on EVERY Election Day (not just the Presidential one every 4 years) that WOULD be a solid move. It would at least bring attention to voting and try to provide an opportunity I’m not sure how many registered voters are in the Polling precincts of NBA arenas, so they may have a problem with folks trying to vote there who should be voting elsewhere which is something they’ll need to work out. The Arena May turn in to a Super Polling Place. Meaning they shut down all the others so that people have to come to the arena. The devil is in the details
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NBA players should go to a police academy and work as policemen during off season.

I never watch NBA, but I am sick of all this social justice stuff invading sports.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 7:20 am NBA players should go to a police academy and work as policemen during off season.

I never watch NBA, but I am sick of all this social justice stuff invading sports.
Kicker is, only 20% of NBA players are registered to vote?

I support social fairness. I want equal justice as well, that doesn't care about your economic status, color or political leanings. Im just not comfortable making it some kind of religious doctrine. :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 7:20 am NBA players should go to a police academy and work as policemen during off season.

Then why post in a NBA thread? :dontgetit

Sports and social issues have been intertwined for decades now. As our president says, "it is what it is".
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have played, coached, umpired, and been a fan for over 50 years. I have yet to understand how someone getting shot by police in Wisconsin has anything to do with NBA, MLB or any other league. There's nothing NBA can do to prevent criminal behavior.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That’s actually half a good idea. I’m not sure working as a LEO in the off-season is realistic but going through what Police go through via ride alongs simulators or evening a shortened academy might not be a bad idea.
It would give them a better idea what it is they have to go through. It would put LEO in a more positive light as fans (kids) see their favorites interacting with LEO.
There is something there
ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Shaq is a reservesit cop i think or at least was, which gives him fairly unique perspective.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 29th, 2020, 8:28 am Shaq is a reservesit cop i think or at least was, which gives him fairly unique perspective.
At one time he was a deputy sheriff for Bedford county.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That's right. I couldn't remember.

He is a good dude. Can you imagine getting pulled over and Shaq is coming towards your car? :lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 29th, 2020, 8:27 am
That’s actually half a good idea. I’m not sure working as a LEO in the off-season is realistic but going through what Police go through via ride alongs simulators or evening a shortened academy might not be a bad idea.
It would give them a better idea what it is they have to go through. It would put LEO in a more positive light as fans (kids) see their favorites interacting with LEO.
There is something there
Beat me to it on the ride alongs. It also might be helpful, if players want to effect political change, if more than 20% of them were registered to vote.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, agreed. That was pretty disappointing to hear. Hopefully that will change now that they are putting so much emphasis on voting.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Oof. Sorta shoots a hole in their narrative. But hey it’s a “Conversation “ :D
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am fairly certain if they had a 100% voter registration rate you would still be shooting holes into it but it certainly doesn't help convince people like you that find it nearly meaningless.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 29th, 2020, 9:16 am I am fairly certain if they had a 100% voter registration rate you would still be shooting holes into it but it certainly doesn't help convince people like you that find it nearly meaningless.
I literally laid out positive scenarios. But it does go to illustrate my main point. They want someone else to do something they are capable of doing. “ You’re suppressing the vote! “. How would they know? They aren’t actually registered to vote. So they have no first hand knowledge of what they seek. Maybe I’m just old fashioned but I’m a fan of leading by example. Don’t ask someone else to fix your problem when you won’t even participate.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I agree about the voting and leading by example piece. The other stuff that has come from this have been good starting points, in my opinion.

At least we found common ground!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Bold prediction. The leagues and/or individual teams will facilitate players registering to vote. The end result is good, but it removes their personal responsibility to take the initiative to do it themselves. It's not like it is hard to do.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Doc Rivers and John Lucas apparantly were pretty vocal about the voting aspect
Shams Charania: “You had the signature players, Chris Paula and Andre Iguodala – NBPA leadership, but two people in that meeting that were very local I’m told was Doc Rivers, the head coach of the Clippers, and John Lucas, the assistant coach in Houston. Doc Rivers’ message to the players was ‘you guys gotta look in the mirror to create real change. You guys are making this stand, but only 20% of you guys are registered voters. That needs to be 80-85%’, I’m told Rivers told the players. That was a direct message that you guys have to get your OWN house in order before you can allow and create change.”
https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/conte ... d-to-vote/
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's good they're not registered. Less votes for sorry liberal Democrats
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:43 am Doc Rivers and John Lucas apparantly were pretty vocal about the voting aspect
Shams Charania: “You had the signature players, Chris Paula and Andre Iguodala – NBPA leadership, but two people in that meeting that were very local I’m told was Doc Rivers, the head coach of the Clippers, and John Lucas, the assistant coach in Houston. Doc Rivers’ message to the players was ‘you guys gotta look in the mirror to create real change. You guys are making this stand, but only 20% of you guys are registered voters. That needs to be 80-85%’, I’m told Rivers told the players. That was a direct message that you guys have to get your OWN house in order before you can allow and create change.”
I respect the crap out of John Lucas
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 29th, 2020, 11:28 am
thepostman wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:43 am Doc Rivers and John Lucas apparantly were pretty vocal about the voting aspect
I respect the crap out of John Lucas
I heard a report that Chris Paul has gotten all the Thunder players registered
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 29th, 2020, 12:40 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 11:20 am It's good they're not registered. Less votes for sorry liberal Democrats
Are we surprised Ballcoach doesn’t believe in the democratic process?
Well he’s a Progressive Liberal so... :) :D
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I wonder if the 20% is 20% of all players or 20% of players who are eligible to vote? There’s a lot of international players in the league who wouldn’t be eligible.

But anyways, it should be 100% of eligible players registered to vote. But this is also a good example of why I like automatic registration when someone turns 18.
Last edited by lynchburgwildcats on August 29th, 2020, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rtb72
Purple Haize wrote: August 29th, 2020, 8:27 am
There is something there
I think this is a great idea for anyone who is honestly curious about policing. Most citizens do not realize there is a standard by which LEO Use of Force is utilized and judged. So many people arm chair quarterbacking do not realize (or maybe don't care to) that it's never as simple as, "oh...they could have used a taser" or "why not shoot them in the leg". If anyone is genuinely interested on what the back side of the badge looks like, I'd encourage them to do a ride-a-long. My agency allows them routinely; it's as simple as signing a waiver. If anyone is interested in the case law that governs how LEO Use of Force is measured in "reasonableness", the case is below.

Graham v. Connor

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/490/386/
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]