If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I follow baseball and enjoy going to a few games during the summer but as I said my opinion is based off of my selfish wants. I much rather watch football and/or basketball year round then a 162 game baseball season.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m selfish, too I guess. I thought we were taking about the NBA in this thread. Get out of here with your crazy logic. :D
thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 11:01 am I’m an average watcher of the NBA, only increasing lately now that I live in an NBA locality. That said, the season is too long as it is. Hard to get up for games four months from playoff time when half the league makes the playoffs. And the playoffs take almost two months themselves. Start at Christmas, fine. But going all the way to August just sound like overkill to me. I’ll take my baseball in summer, please and thank you.
July is kind of a TV wasteland at the moment outside the MLB All Star game. Run it through July give people something to watch and get out of the heat. Plenty of time for the cool kids to buy their NBA championship stuff for school starting in August and September Hockey fans should love it. WNBA fans should hate it. Arena owners should also love it. I’m really warming up to the idea. Now if they can just improve the quality of play... :dramaqueen :fight :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 12:25 pm Good point. WNBA is screwed.
Honestly I’m not sure most of the players will care. How many have sat out a season over the years to rest for the overseas leagues since they make more money?
By Jonathan Carone
How big is the overlap of NBA fan vs WNBA fan? It could work like college and you see cities start pairing up NBA/WNBA and supporting each other.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 14th, 2020, 1:01 pm How big is the overlap of NBA fan vs WNBA fan? It could work like college and you see cities start pairing up NBA/WNBA and supporting each other.
I’m just going to say it....have the WNBA play preliminary to the NBA games. Like JV/Varsity.....

......sitting down with popcorn
By Jonathan Carone
I had that thought. Then you’d have two lines for three pointers and the WNBA wouldn’t get their logos on the floor.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
NBA has been propping up WNBA for years. Basketball is a political frontier the LGBTQ+ activists will not give up quietly.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Truth be known, all professional sports seasons are too long, MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think the NFL is talking about adding a game to their regular season for some reason.

But yeah. Pro leagues are too long but I don't see them getting shorter due to money.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you look at WNBA franchise ownership it doesn't much up well with NBA ownership. Any type of tie between the two leagues is stretching in most cases.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 14th, 2020, 8:54 am No. The earliest would be December 1st but I think a Christmas Day start is something a lot of people feel is a good start day. Christmas Day games are always pretty big for the NBA.
Christmas Day NBA is just amazing stuff.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 11:01 am I’m an average watcher of the NBA, only increasing lately now that I live in an NBA locality. That said, the season is too long as it is. Hard to get up for games four months from playoff time when half the league makes the playoffs. And the playoffs take almost two months themselves. Start at Christmas, fine. But going all the way to August just sound like overkill to me. I’ll take my baseball in summer, please and thank you.
MLB regular season is as long as the NBA's

I do agree the NBA playoffs take too long, but that's mostly because of TV nowadays. They want to prevent as much overlap as realistically possible to get ratings up, as better ratings = more TV money and more advertising money.
By Ill flame
lynchburgwildcats wrote: June 21st, 2020, 11:37 pm
MLB regular season is as long as the NBA's

I do agree the NBA playoffs take too long, but that's mostly because of TV nowadays. They want to prevent as much overlap as realistically possible to get ratings up, as better ratings = more TV money and more advertising money.
MLB plays double the games in the same length of time and the playoffs take half the time. It's amazing that a sport that plays almost 200 games before they hit the playoffs can finish a season in less time than the NBA and nhl. Whatever it takes to make that money I guess.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am no fan of NBA, but I agree their playoffs are too long. They should play 2 out of 3 series, instead of 4 out of 7. And only have one day between games.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You wouldn't watch anyways.

The playoff format was extended for TV rights purposes so the NBA isn't going to change it since the networks pay the NBA quite a bit of money. I'm not a huge fan of it either but I'm also not making millions from ESPN/Turner Sports.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
All sports have given in to the networks, allowing them too much control.

The worst deal of all is TV time outs in football and basketball.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am not a liberal democrat. You, I and everyone else should keep politics out of sports. Social justice BS and liberal politics have just about destroyed the nation., along with sports.

TV money is good, but when TV starts "writing in the rule book", it's time to draw the line.
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]