If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 10th, 2020, 7:06 am I never said Harden wasn’t good. He just plays a terrible version of basketball.
The entire NBA plays a terrible version of basketball. ESPN has ruined the NBA. Sometimes I equate NBA to WWE. They always take several players and make them out to be bigger than their team or the sport itself. If it wasn't for the arena workers, I would not care if NBA ever played another game.
Then ignore this thread. You don't have to share your grumpy old man opinions in every thread about the NBA. We are well aware of how you feel! :lol:

JK37 wrote: June 10th, 2020, 7:26 am When does it start?
July 31
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:23 pm You guys can hate on James all you want. But the slimmed down scoring machine is going to be tough to stop.

I can't stand the Mavs but Luka is the real deal.
So when he picks up his dribble his left foot is his pivot foot. He slides back with his right foot, which is fine, picks up his pivot foot, again fine, returns his pivot foot back to the floor (traveling) shuffles both feet to make sure he is behind the line (traveling) Although to be fair I believe the NBA calls it “ends the dribble” now which can be very liberally interpreted. And why I dislike watching the NBA
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 10th, 2020, 8:56 am Thanks a lot @Sly Fox , we almost had him!
You could also make the case that his right foot was his pivot foot when he takes his jab step. At which point his Smart Watch is rackin up the steps
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Harden travels all the time, you don't need to convince me of that. I don't like this style and the style that Houston uses but their style won't win them championships so they can keep at it I guess.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I can fully understand why a style of play that originated in backwoods WV would not be as aesthetically pleasing as some would prefer. But I personally enjoy the more intuitive approach to basketball by exploiting the legal boundaries of the game that are difficult to follow for some folks who have predispositions to blow whistles.

See, we are back talking basketball and the games haven't even resumed yet!
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: June 10th, 2020, 10:11 am I can fully understand why a style of play that originated in backwoods WV would not be as aesthetically pleasing as some would prefer. But I personally enjoy the more intuitive approach to basketball by exploiting the legal boundaries of the game that are difficult to follow for some folks who have predispositions to blow whistles.

Considering I grew up in Basketball Holy Land I’m open to all things basketball. What we see now is the WWE-ification of the game. It’s all flash and a creative interpretation of the rules.
I have a predisposition to follow the actual rules. But if you wanna do away with dribbling, that’s your battle
ballcoach15 liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 9th, 2020, 10:45 pm I totally forgot about Luka. That dude is so good.

Klay isn’t the star the others are, but he has a cult following. I’m part of that cult.
When Klay gets on a heater it’s the most entertaining thing in the league
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 10th, 2020, 11:13 am
Sly Fox wrote: June 10th, 2020, 10:11 am I can fully understand why a style of play that originated in backwoods WV would not be as aesthetically pleasing as some would prefer. But I personally enjoy the more intuitive approach to basketball by exploiting the legal boundaries of the game that are difficult to follow for some folks who have predispositions to blow whistles.

Considering I grew up in Basketball Holy Land I’m open to all things basketball. What we see now is the WWE-ification of the game. It’s all flash and a creative interpretation of the rules.
I have a predisposition to follow the actual rules. But if you wanna do away with dribbling, that’s your battle
Exploiting loopholes and taking advantages of the rules is actually following the rules.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: June 11th, 2020, 7:34 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 9th, 2020, 10:45 pm I totally forgot about Luka. That dude is so good.

Klay isn’t the star the others are, but he has a cult following. I’m part of that cult.
When Klay gets on a heater it’s the most entertaining thing in the league

I am not familiar with Klay. Is Klay is last name, or first name. The NBA is slowly eliminating last names of players.

As for fudging the rules, I recall when Julius Erving played, I was watching a game, and Erving caught an outlet pass at mid-court, never put ball on the floor and went in and dunked. That may have been the day "traveling" became legal.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Dude we get it. You don't like the NBA or anything fun. It is fine but some of us enjoy it and are excited. Itll be a fun 2.5 months of basketball
adam42381 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: June 11th, 2020, 7:37 am
Purple Haize wrote: June 10th, 2020, 11:13 am

Exploiting loopholes and taking advantages of the rules is actually following the rules.
I don't see Harden as not following the rules, but his ref-ball style is completely antithetical to the spirit of the game. You don't play to get fouled, you play to score. If Harden was playing in a pick-up game, he'd get booted off the court with that nonsense.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Exactly. He’s the guy who you can’t play “Call your own” pick up games with
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Man between Sly's Harden love and Ballcoach's NBA hate, this thread really went off it's rails.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 11th, 2020, 4:28 pm Man between Sly's Harden love and Ballcoach's NBA hate, this thread really went off it's rails.
So has the NBA. Ha!

I was watching some old Bird and Olajuwon highlight clips over lunch. Man. If those guys played with today’s rules....ha
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Eh, it is impossible to really know other then playing NBA2k on Xbox. Which I do. Haha

Comparing era's in skill is nearly impossible. The styles are so different that it required being better in different areas of the game.

It is fun to argue with old guys. My dad hates the nba. We went to a game over Thanksgiving and he complained the whole time.
By Jonathan Carone
Bird with today’s penchant for 3s would be nuts. Not sure how well he would’ve been able to hang with some of his injuries stealing his athleticism.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 11th, 2020, 5:17 pm Bird with today’s penchant for 3s would be nuts. Not sure how well he would’ve been able to hang with some of his injuries stealing his athleticism.
Ummmm. What athleticism. Ha. But if he got extra step like a Harden?!?! Wow.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Harden gets away with it because of his quickness. Bird was crafty but not quick. Haha

I love watching old games of him playing because he was so creative and made up for his lack of athletic ability.
Purple Haize liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: June 11th, 2020, 6:54 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 11th, 2020, 5:17 pm Bird with today’s penchant for 3s would be nuts. Not sure how well he would’ve been able to hang with some of his injuries stealing his athleticism.
Ummmm. What athleticism. Ha. But if he got extra step like a Harden?!?! Wow.
Bird wasn’t a freak, but you don’t have the creativeness he had without some athletic ability.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Some of these ball fakes were standard “back in the day”. And why some of his moves look odd is because he’s utilizing a pivot foot. You used to have to have one of those. No it so much any more. Amirite James Harden?

JK37 liked this
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell Ce[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]