If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Amazing how good the NBA game can be when the refs let them play a little. I want nothing more than for this series to go 7 games.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This is going to be a HUGE problem this Olympics. Our NBA guys won’t be getting calls they are used to getting in The League. So their little pet moves to draw fouls won’t work. Thus we will look mired and disjointed offensively. Defensively it’s the opposite side of the same coin. They are used to getting whistled when playing D a certain way. Playing like that on the International Stage is going to get you both lit up and called for stupid fouls.
The talent gap has decreased yes. But the way the games are being called is what’s becoming thr great equalizer at the Top International level
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Cool story. But how about these finals! They've been really good. If you haven't watched you been missing out.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 18th, 2021, 11:18 am This is going to be a HUGE problem this Olympics. Our NBA guys won’t be getting calls they are used to getting in The League. So their little pet moves to draw fouls won’t work. Thus we will look mired and disjointed offensively. Defensively it’s the opposite side of the same coin. They are used to getting whistled when playing D a certain way. Playing like that on the International Stage is going to get you both lit up and called for stupid fouls.
The talent gap has decreased yes. But the way the games are being called is what’s becoming thr great equalizer at the Top International level
Did you see that they called in JaVale McGee? He’s the perfect big to take advantage of the FIBA goaltending rules. It’s gonna be fun to watch.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 18th, 2021, 2:26 pm I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the international rules. I'll watch, of course haha.
The it’s not the rules per se. but how the game is called. Much more like the 80’s and 90’s NBA than what you have in the NBA now. When you have NBA guys designing moves solely to take advantage of the rule book as opposed to another player you have what the NBA is now
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Don't athletes everywhere take advantage of the rulebook? Players who are use to the international rule will play in such a way that they can be successful. The difference between US basketball and the rest of the world is the US team is thrown together and there isn't much time given to get use to international play. The rest of the world has gotten better at basketball and the US isn't getting their best on the team. There are a ton of factors.

Regardless, I still hate the international rules. I'm one of fhe few on this board that enjoy the NBA game. The NBA game is fantastic, and when the refs don't get in the way, we get a series like the finals we are seeing this year.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 18th, 2021, 4:44 pm
thepostman wrote: July 18th, 2021, 2:26 pm I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the international rules. I'll watch, of course haha.
The it’s not the rules per se. but how the game is called. Much more like the 80’s and 90’s NBA than what you have in the NBA now. When you have NBA guys designing moves solely to take advantage of the rule book as opposed to another player you have what the NBA is now
Also the players then took advantage of the rules then. MJ in the 90s use to drive my dad nuts because of how he used the rules to his advantage. Then he'd murmur something about Larry Bird being the greatest or something. Except Larry did the same thing!

So each generation of players takes what is given to them and adapts and works it to their advantage. The great ones tend to do it better than everybody.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I like the small differences, makes it for a more interesting watch just for the novelty of it.

You’re right, though, @postman. MJ made a living on hand-checks and push-offs. Players will always take advantage of how the game is being called. The rule-book also changes because of it. You’re going to see changes in the next year or so regarding offensive players initiating contact. The rules are just always a few years behind the players.
thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 18th, 2021, 6:34 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 18th, 2021, 4:44 pm
Also the players then took advantage of the rules then. MJ in the 90s use to drive my dad nuts because of how he used the rules to his advantage. Then he'd murmur something about Larry Bird being the greatest or something. Except Larry did the same thing!

So each generation of players takes what is given to them and adapts and works it to their advantage. The great ones tend to do it better than everybody.
You’re not wrong but back then the talent gap was much bigger and the way the NBA players grew up playing the games helped in International Play. But we’ve now gotten to a point where it’s ridiculous and they are completely different games
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Both of the Bucks and Suns are playing really tight to start game 6. A lot of turnovers. Milwaukee is preped for a huge party if they win tonight.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m happy for the Buck. Giannis is a special player. Scary to think he’s not even reached his potential yet. I like the fact that this isn’t a “Super Team” Other then Giannis I’m hard pressed to name other players prior to the season. Milwaukee certainly didn’t go out and drop big coin on big name free agents. I’d feel the same way about the Suns. Chris Paul must just be cursed. His injury really affected his game, and the Suns chances. But again, not a Super Team, so I’d have been happy if they won

So congrats to the small market team winning the Big One!
Kricket, stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Giannis had an all-time game last night. He’s such a unique player that I might actually be sad if he develops his shot more. Obviously he doesn’t need it and I’m worried it would change how he plays.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: July 21st, 2021, 8:00 am Giannis had an all-time game last night. He’s such a unique player that I might actually be sad if he develops his shot more. Obviously he doesn’t need it and I’m worried it would change how he plays.
In a different era he’d be drawing comparisons to Olajuwon and Russel
stokesjokes liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Giannis stepped his game up to a whole other level this series. He has cemented himself as an all time great. The way he, and the Bucks, did this in this era is nothing short of impressive.

This series was a bit of a throwback with the physicality and the lack of a "super team". It was a lot of fun.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 21st, 2021, 8:10 am
stokesjokes wrote: July 21st, 2021, 8:00 am Giannis had an all-time game last night. He’s such a unique player that I might actually be sad if he develops his shot more. Obviously he doesn’t need it and I’m worried it would change how he plays.
In a different era he’d be drawing comparisons to Olajuwon and Russel
I like the Olajuwon comp, especially his footwork and defense. I came of age in the early 90s and one of my first basketball memories is the Rockets’ title run. We live in CT and went to the basketball hall of fame a couple of times back then and I remember making my parents buy me a Rockets cup from the gift shop :lol:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Giannis is rare not only for his talent but also the combination of takeover mentality and humility. He walks that fine line extremely well. Great match of player to city. I was rooting for Suns for Paul and Jevon. But I can’t be disappointed with this outcome.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m going to say something and I’ll fight you if you disagree :)

If the NBA was called and played like these Olympics games I’d be such a HUGE fan of the NBA. None of these BS calls or non basketball play fouls. Lots more teamwork. Post play AND perimeter play. 5 fouls instead instead six helps players play a little smarter (not that anyone fouls out in the nba anyways). The International Game used to have a problem with whining and complaining to refs mirroring soccer but you didn’t see it this Olympics. They’ve done a great job cleaning that up. Color me impressed with the ‘rediscovery’ of basketball this Olympics. Despite some of the commentators saying ‘that’s not basketball’ on some of the calls. No, you’ve forgotten what basketball WAS.
Rant over.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I didn't watch a ton of Olympic basketball but what you're saying does exist in the NBA. I'd challenge you to watch more NBA games because what you say about the NBA was more true 10 years ago but is becoming less and less accurate. The problem is a lot of people like yourself have tuned out and I can understand why. There are also some changes coming to the NBA that in theory could help even more.

Edit: other then post game. There is essentially zero post play in today's NBA. But ball movement and player movement has absolutely improved over the past 2 or 3 years by a ton.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 7th, 2021, 2:45 pm I didn't watch a ton of Olympic basketball but what you're saying does exist in the NBA. I'd challenge you to watch more NBA games because what you say about the NBA was more true 10 years ago but is becoming less and less accurate. The problem is a lot of people like yourself have tuned out and I can understand why. There are also some changes coming to the NBA that in theory could help even more.

Edit: other then post game. There is essentially zero post play in today's NBA. But ball movement and player movement has absolutely improved over the past 2 or 3 years by a ton.
I watched more NBA playoffs this year so I’m confident in my observation. You could even tell early in the Tournament that the NBA (US) players were baffled by not getting certain calls and getting called for others. These games had a much better flow to them and a LOT less ISO play. Part of that is due to the defense rules of FIBA compared to NBA. Harden for example would struggle with his style in the Olympics while someone like Carmelo thrives.
I’ll be interested to see these NBA changes. I read about some so we will see. But watching these games has been a sheer delight to see the game played and called in a much better manner than the current NBA product.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think if the NBA adopted some FIBA rules and reffing but kept the longer 3pt line, you’d have a perfect mix. The only drawback I saw with the Olympic games was the spacing. The lane stayed clogged, both from a closer 3pt line and from not having 3-second violations.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: August 7th, 2021, 4:01 pm I think if the NBA adopted some FIBA rules and reffing but kept the longer 3pt line, you’d have a perfect mix. The only drawback I saw with the Olympic games was the spacing. The lane stayed clogged, both from a closer 3pt line and from not having 3-second violations.
I’m 50/50 on that closer 3 pt line. I think the closer liner helps with the post play. It didn’t seem that clogged to me. Teams that had a beast down low we’re able to dump it in and score. Just look at the Good Medal game. France’s 2 bigs were nearly unstoppable in the paint. It might have cut down on the penetration and 1 on 1 which I agree and I’m all for. That’s why I said you saw fewer ISO’s. And I liked it.
I dunno but it would be worth trying. I do like the fact they took the funk lane away although it was cool looking. Ha.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 7th, 2021, 9:21 pm
stokesjokes wrote: August 7th, 2021, 4:01 pm I think if the NBA adopted some FIBA rules and reffing but kept the longer 3pt line, you’d have a perfect mix. The only drawback I saw with the Olympic games was the spacing. The lane stayed clogged, both from a closer 3pt line and from not having 3-second violations.
I’m 50/50 on that closer 3 pt line. I think the closer liner helps with the post play. It didn’t seem that clogged to me. Teams that had a beast down low we’re able to dump it in and score. Just look at the Good Medal game. France’s 2 bigs were nearly unstoppable in the paint. It might have cut down on the penetration and 1 on 1 which I agree and I’m all for. That’s why I said you saw fewer ISO’s. And I liked it.
I dunno but it would be worth trying. I do like the fact they took the funk lane away although it was cool looking. Ha.
Who was this second big that was unguardable in the paint (assuming you mean Gobert as the other one)?

Moustapha Fall? He attempted two shots in nearly 13 minutes.
Vincent Poirier? He was 0-1 in 5 minutes
Guerschon Yabusele? He went 1-4 from two point rage in 21 minutes and was primarily being used as a catch and shoot four.

So combined, the bigs outside of Gobert were 3-7 from two point range in a collective 39 minutes. Hardly anything remotely approaching unguardable.

And it's not like Gobert was lights out, sure he went 5-5 from the field, but he got fouled repeatedly because he is a terrible foul shooter. He went 6-13 from there in a game in which they only lost by 5.

De Colo, Fournier, Batum, Heurtel, TLC, and Ntilikina are either a guard or a small forward.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]