If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Ballcoach will be happy to hear that the ACC schools up north might NOT be playing football in the fall (Duke & Wake are on the no play list, too).

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/coll ... story.html
ballcoach15 liked this
Cider Jim wrote: May 8th, 2020, 8:20 pm Ballcoach will be happy to hear that the ACC schools up north might NOT be playing football in the fall (Duke & Wake are on the no play list, too).

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/coll ... story.html
Duke is a bit of an outlier i'm guessing from other universities....I'd think their basketball generates more than their football program. Wake does not have much of a program in either, but I think they still have good F-ball attendance. They just hired a new basketball coach. I think they are trying to get back to the Duncan days...
ballcoach15 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: May 8th, 2020, 8:34 pm In my opinion, schools with strong FOOTBALL PROGRAMS will play. Schools with weak FOOTBALL PROGRAMS will not. Study :football
FIFY
ATrain liked this
Conferences all cancel but all the Independents decide to play a full season home and home - national audience starved for football tunes in and sets single game tv records and each team splits a Billion $ revenue windfall. LU splits with BYU but goes 0-2 against ND who are crowned “undisputed” national champs. Could you live with that Ballcoach ? ( part of the $ goes to softball program)...
Sly Fox liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:10 pm Either all play, or none play, probably.
Ballcoach, have you not been checking your sources? I predict just the opposite will happen. Some will play; others will take a year off.
Purple Haize, ATrain liked this
Cider Jim wrote: May 9th, 2020, 8:10 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 5:10 pm Either all play, or none play, probably.
Ballcoach, have you not been checking your sources? I predict just the opposite will happen. Some will play; others will take a year off.
If that happens, will the schools that don't play, share in the TV revenue ?

Bowl bids will be interesting.
this is wayyyyyyy more complex than even the media is making it out to be. None of the schools including mine ACTUALLY know what is going to happen. So much depends on the Feds and the governors of each state and then you trickle down to the decisions made by the conferences after that. The level of approvals and the level of measures we are preparing for are massive in scale. the last month ive been on more meetings with upper admin and even ACC Admin that I care to ever do again. NO one knows whats going on yet and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. For those who just hope that everyone is going to just say forget it lets just play and go back to normal, I hate to tell you but that won't happen this year and maybe not even next year.
TH Spangler wrote: May 12th, 2020, 6:03 pm MAC news

https://www.wtol.com/mobile/article/spo ... a5a6d8fe3c

The MAC is over reacting, right now. Sounds as if they're on their way to eliminating everything but football and basketball.
Eliminating post season tournaments isn't very smart. It wipes out the chance for many teams to reach NCAA tournament.
I just saw on ESPN website, that Mark Emmert says NCAA will not mandate when college football can start back up. Another example of weak leadership at NCAA Headquarters.
NCAA apparently is leaving it up to conferences, schools, governors, mayors and who knows who else.
Since LU is independent, I guess we can start practicing anytime Coach desires.
This will likely make Ballcoach very happy.
If you’ve been to Notre Dame Stadium you’re well aware how they pack you in like sardines. Your seat on the wooden benches are wide enough for perhaps a nine year old to sit comfortably, but not anyone much older than that.

Now factor in social distancing and trying to maintain six feet of separation then that we’ve been told to keep apart and you’re looking at what, a maximum of a one-third capacity crowd?

It’s not surprising but it doesn’t mean it won’t look strange when Notre Dame Stadium is at roughly 30% capacity or whatever that number ends up being.
ballcoach15 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 9:56 pm I just saw on ESPN website, that Mark Emmert says NCAA will not mandate when college football can start back up. Another example of weak leadership at NCAA Headquarters.
NCAA apparently is leaving it up to conferences, schools, governors, mayors and who knows who else.
Oh great potentate... please enlighten us. :roll:

This is probably the best case scenario for us. Emmert can't force California to allow football to start back up in August. The only "powerful" move he has left is simply to cancel the 2020 NCAAF season.
tyndal23 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 8:04 pm Conferences all cancel but all the Independents decide to play a full season home and home - national audience starved for football tunes in and sets single game tv records and each team splits a Billion $ revenue windfall. LU splits with BYU but goes 0-2 against ND who are crowned “undisputed” national champs. Could you live with that Ballcoach ? ( part of the $ goes to softball program)...
I know you're kidding, but Notre Dame owes BYU two games in Provo, and has made it clear that they are never going to play them (pre-pandemic). They're open to future (far future) games in South Bend, but they don't want to risk playing on the road (when was the last time ND had equal or less home games than away games? They play at home more than any school). I've wanted BYU to enforce the million dollar breach of contract penalty, but they won't because . . . then Notre Dame won't schedule them any more. Which is effectively what is happening now, with them refusing to honor their contract. I wouldn't play them any more until they honor the games they owe . . .

Since BYU typically can only get prime opponents to schedule on a 2-1 basis (two home, one at BYU), or neutral site only, it is imperative that they get their one home game.

Just so Liberty knows what it's facing in the coming years. And BYU has the benefit of its exclusive contract with ESPN*--- it may be harder for Liberty to schedule heavyweights, even on a 2-1 basis.

*side question: how much longer will the ESPN contract last? If there continues to be no sports to air (ESPN is filling its time with marbles tournaments, Korean baseball, and Michael Jordan documentaries), I would think they will have to pull out of this.
Rubicon wrote: May 13th, 2020, 12:09 pm
tyndal23 wrote: May 9th, 2020, 8:04 pm Conferences all cancel but all the Independents decide to play a full season home and home - national audience starved for football tunes in and sets single game tv records and each team splits a Billion $ revenue windfall. LU splits with BYU but goes 0-2 against ND who are crowned “undisputed” national champs. Could you live with that Ballcoach ? ( part of the $ goes to softball program)...
I know you're kidding, but Notre Dame owes BYU two games in Provo, and has made it clear that they are never going to play them (pre-pandemic). They're open to future (far future) games in South Bend, but they don't want to risk playing on the road (when was the last time ND had equal or less home games than away games? They play at home more than any school). I've wanted BYU to enforce the million dollar breach of contract penalty, but they won't because . . . then Notre Dame won't schedule them any more. Which is effectively what is happening now, with them refusing to honor their contract. I wouldn't play them any more until they honor the games they owe . . .

Since BYU typically can only get prime opponents to schedule on a 2-1 basis (two home, one at BYU), or neutral site only, it is imperative that they get their one home game.

Just so Liberty knows what it's facing in the coming years. And BYU has the benefit of its exclusive contract with ESPN*--- it may be harder for Liberty to schedule heavyweights, even on a 2-1 basis.

*side question: how much longer will the ESPN contract last? If there continues to be no sports to air (ESPN is filling its time with marbles tournaments, Korean baseball, and Michael Jordan documentaries), I would think they will have to pull out of this.
Unfortunate ND took that stance. Are you having to do 2 for 1 with PAC 12 schools? For LU - we would need to do a 5 year plan with only 5 home games, pay out bottom 1/3 type teams of each conference to do 1 for 1 and schedule 1 off road games to Mid / upper tier schools ( no 2 for 1 ) all with the goal to get ACC ( at the end of 5 years of playing majority P5 schedules ) to allow LU to count as a P5 game for their teams ( which then brings the 1 for 1 rotations ). ACC has limited options for nearby P5 out of conference games - LU would be a winnable but respectable game and a bus ride for 6 ACC teams. Love your 20 and 2021 schedules btw. I would think your fans would be much more excited about than your pre 2019 scheduling.
alabama24 wrote: May 13th, 2020, 11:52 am
ballcoach15 wrote: May 12th, 2020, 9:56 pm I just saw on ESPN website, that Mark Emmert says NCAA will not mandate when college football can start back up. Another example of weak leadership at NCAA Headquarters.
Oh great potentate... please enlighten us. :roll:

This is probably the best case scenario for us. Emmert can't force California to allow football to start back up in August. The only "powerful" move he has left is simply to cancel the 2020 NCAAF season.
It's evident that you need enlightened. The NCAA is governing body of college sports. NCAA should set policy. If California doesn't want to follow, then forfeit. I will admit that NCAA has very weak leadership, and using football terms: "they often punt, when they should go for it on 4th down"
tyndal23 wrote: May 13th, 2020, 12:37 pm
Unfortunate ND took that stance. Are you having to do 2 for 1 with PAC 12 schools?
Yes, pretty much anyone. LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Nebraska, and others played us in one-off home games, and we've had some neutral site NFL stadium games (JerryWorld when we beat Oklahoma; Cardinal Stadium when we beat the Arizona). But the Pac12, Big10, and Big12 have otherwise demanded 2-1 deals with the game in Provo being years after the two home games. Utah is an exception, in that we play them every year, alternating.
Love your 20 and 2021 schedules btw. I would think your fans would be much more excited about than your pre 2019 scheduling.
1000x yes! I'd much rather be 7-5 with a really good schedule than 11-1 with a an easy one. We've had trouble scheduling games in October/November because that's the meat of the conference schedules, so our schedules tend to be front-loaded with "murderer's row" games.

The other important thing to us is exposure: not necessarily recruiting, but people having good experiences with BYU's teams and fans.

A lot of places on the East Coast and the Midwest and South are shocked at how many BYU fans come to games over there. BYU doesn't "travel well;" Church members, alumni, and fans in the area go to the games (usually, there are devotionals and firesides that accompany the games, so it's kind of a big weekend for those area). If the missionaries are lucky, the local mission president lets the whole mission go to the game!

I think Liberty has the potential to have a similar effect.
alabama24 wrote: May 13th, 2020, 4:47 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: May 13th, 2020, 4:10 pm Other than no softball and baseball games, along with church, my schedule hasn't changed
You've been going to Hardees with the boys? :lol:
YES, we go through the drive thru at Hardee's and then eat in our trucks in the parking lot with our windows down so we can coach each other up. Ballcoach has even been known to bring his tape measure from work to make sure we were observing our 6 feet of social distancing.
ballcoach15, alabama24 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]