If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
oldflame wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm Since it has become a topic of discussion, I thought I would speculate on what our MBB Seniors might do if an extra year was granted.

Caleb Homesley:
He has been around for 5 years and has come back from 2 ACL injuries. I believe (not positive) he will complete his master's this Spring. He is (last I heard) engaged to be married. While the NBA is a long shot IMHO, there is no doubt he can make some $$ playing somewhere next year, and another injury would probably wipe that out. I wouldn't see him returning.

Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz:
He was picked #1 overall in the Puerto Rican professional league draft by his home town team in Ponce. He is also a part of the national team there. He has made it pretty clear he loves his home country and misses it. I suspect he would move on, but he is a grad student at Liberty, and completing his master's on the scholarship dime might be enough to keep him around another year.

Scottie James:
After 5 years at LU and Bradley, he is also in aposition to make some $$ overseas, and he is married. I don't see him returning.

Myo Baxter-Bell:
More a gut feeling than anything, but I think he might be the most likely to return. He has improved tremendously, but I would think his chances to play pro somewhere are still borderline right now, and he would almost certainly start and get more minutes if he came back (and Scottie didn't 8) ).
Whats your thoughts on baseball? This would give jrs a chance to see what the draft thinks of them and still come back if they think they can improve position. Highfield for one would certainly have a chance to improve prospects.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:41 pm
oldflame wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:11 pm Since it has become a topic of discussion, I thought I would speculate on what our MBB Seniors might do if an extra year was granted.

Caleb Homesley:
He has been around for 5 years and has come back from 2 ACL injuries. I believe (not positive) he will complete his master's this Spring. He is (last I heard) engaged to be married. While the NBA is a long shot IMHO, there is no doubt he can make some $$ playing somewhere next year, and another injury would probably wipe that out. I wouldn't see him returning.

Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz:
He was picked #1 overall in the Puerto Rican professional league draft by his home town team in Ponce. He is also a part of the national team there. He has made it pretty clear he loves his home country and misses it. I suspect he would move on, but he is a grad student at Liberty, and completing his master's on the scholarship dime might be enough to keep him around another year.

Scottie James:
After 5 years at LU and Bradley, he is also in aposition to make some $$ overseas, and he is married. I don't see him returning.

Myo Baxter-Bell:
More a gut feeling than anything, but I think he might be the most likely to return. He has improved tremendously, but I would think his chances to play pro somewhere are still borderline right now, and he would almost certainly start and get more minutes if he came back (and Scottie didn't 8) ).
Whats your thoughts on baseball? This would give jrs a chance to see what the draft thinks of them and still come back if they think they can improve position. Highfield for one would certainly have a chance to improve prospects.
Baseball is so different because they don't get full scholarships, and to be honest, I don't follow it nearly as closely. I do agree that Highfill might be one who would benefit from another year. He has upside because of his combination of size and defensive prowess, and his bat is finally starting to come around.

Just for ballcoach............ I think the Bishop twins coming back would be a no-brainer. After surviving that murderers's row non-conference schedule to prepare for success in conference and post-season play, I think our softball team may have taken the cruelest blow of all by the cancellation.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
@NicoleAuerbach

Per source, NCAA sent a note to membership today saying it believes "it will be appropriate to grant relief for the use of a season for competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports."

NCAA will start working on issues tied to this & winter athletes.
@KendallRogers

So, baseball players, as expected, are getting a year of eligibility back. The most likely scenario here is getting rid of the 27 players on scholarship cap (for one year) and getting rid of the 25% minimum rule (for one year). We’ll see what the @NCAA
decides.
Is there an easy way to embed a twitter post image?
By LUOrange
IMO, the best thing for the NCAA and Conference fathers to do is to JUST extend the winter and spring sports seasons. HavE Spring sports start again in April and you can play more games after graduation season. As for basketball and other winter sports, give them more practice time in April and commence the tournaments in May, obviously, they'll have to work around graduations. I guarantee the teams and most schools would go for it.

To me, this is the most fair thing to do for all the players, schools, donors, etc. You could give seniors another year, but what about the underclassmen that were about to get more PT and the new recruits coming in? Just play the games. I guarantee that the NBA, NHL, MLB, etc will play again in the next few weeks. The NCAA and High Schools should as well.
Last edited by LUOrange on March 13th, 2020, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUDad
If they give it to spring sports, I see suits following if they don't follow through with Basketball. You play for the championships. Gonzaga players certainly lost a legecy opportunity.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:56 pm How about just moving all corona/Wuhan talk to the other thread?
We really are down to 2 now. This one for athletic related stuff and the one in the Lynchburg forum for campus related and other. Seems to me to be working fine.
By LUDad
The arguement now falls to under classmen. Skirrow and Wagner have lost their most important junior year to show their talents to MLB teams and still have leverage to come back for their senior years. They are harmed by a decision that only affects seniors. They too have lost a year of eligibility. Thus, any equitably decision MUST include the underclass as well.

EDIT. However, I believe the attached article implies all athletes, not just seniors.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ronavirus/
The 2020 NCAA Tournament is not going to be played over concerns about the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, but there is still a chance an official bracket for the field of 68 could be released by the NCAA.

NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt told CBS Sports on Friday that the NCAA has not yet completely killed the idea of putting together a 68-team bracket for the purposes of an official recognition of the 2019-20 men's Division I basketball season. While far from a sure thing, it's still on the table -- offering hope to coaches and players across the country that they could at least potentially get formal recognition for the work they put into their seasons over the past five-plus months.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I saw in paper this morning that NCAA considered holding a 16 team tournament. I am glad they didn't do that, in that it would have been a slap in the face for the other teams that made tournament. I am confident none of the teams who had already won their conference tournament would have been among the 16.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Probably just as well they didn't do it, but as far as the teams that would have been "slapped in the face" by being left out is concerned, let's not forget that the tournament has not always been 68 teams (or even 64). During the UCLA dynasty, when they won 10 championships in 12 years, the largest field they faced was 25 teams, and several of those years they had a first round bye and only needed to win 4 games to be crowned champions. There were REALLY GOOD teams that didn't get in. Remember when the ACC tournament was for all the marbles and only one team got an NCAA bid, even though some years they had multiple teams ranked in the top 10?
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 14th, 2020, 8:28 am Probably just as well they didn't do it, but as far as the teams that would have been "slapped in the face" by being left out is concerned, let's not forget that the tournament has not always been 68 teams (or even 64). During the UCLA dynasty, when they won 10 championships in 12 years, the largest field they faced was 25 teams, and several of those years they had a first round bye and only needed to win 4 games to be crowned champions. There were REALLY GOOD teams that didn't get in. Remember when the ACC tournament was for all the marbles and only one team got an NCAA bit, even though some years they had multiple teams who were capable of winning the national championship?
High schools have adopted the same agenda. Now the 4th best team in the conference can get in. "In the old days" :D in Pittsburgh, my HS team went 20-2 and the only 2 losses were to our "section" rival ( one in overtime) and we went nowhere.

Yes, the NCAA tournament, in my day, was limited to 32 teams in that day but there were mostly independents and only a few conferences. All the major BB schools were independent - Xavier, Villanova, Notre Dame, Duquesne, Miami (Fl), Boston College, DePaul, St. Bona . . . to name a few, and the powerhouses were all in the east which made UCLAs road pretty easy given there were 2 sections of the country in the eyes of the tournament. Didn't have east teams playing in the west or vice versa as there is now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 13th, 2020, 2:24 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 13th, 2020, 1:56 pm How about just moving all corona/Wuhan talk to the other thread?
We really are down to 2 now. This one for athletic related stuff and the one in the Lynchburg forum for campus related and other. Seems to me to be working fine.
That wasn’t meant to be critical of you at all. It’s just that @thepostman is being lazy and not combining threads . It was more of a General request
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The Florida Senate has declared Florida State the national champions. I say we declare ourselves the national champions, since we actually won our conference tournament.
thepostman wrote: March 14th, 2020, 12:24 pm They were named the ACC champion and even got the trophy so they would've gotten the auto bid if there had been a national tournament.
The ACC did state, before the cancelation of the NCAA tournament, that FSU would receive the automatic qualifier.
thepostman liked this
The conference auto-bids going to tournament champions is also a relatively new thing. The ACC was the first, and the overwhelming success of their tournament led to others copying it. It was mainly to make extra $$, just like the conference championship games in football. Now, with the expansion of the tournament field and power conferences getting multiple bids, they really don't mean that much except for the mid/low majors, or the rare occasion when a team from a P5 that did not have an at-large worthy resume makes a tournament run and plays their way in.
JK37 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 5:19 pm Quarantined inside with no live sports?! There aren’t enough good movies on Hulu and Netflix to get me through this.
Great time for all those “Free 7 Day Trials” most apps have
Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]