If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 12th, 2020, 5:35 pm I didn’t say that. I said if.

The NCAA just took away a season for spring athletes. There’s an argument that they owe those students their final season of eligibility. If they don’t give it to them, that’s a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.

But if they give it to them, what happens to incoming recruits and scholarship limits?
You are absolutely right. I don't see any way the NCAA can get away without giving waivers to any and all basketball and spring sports players if they desire them. And if you give it to seniors you also need to give it to underclassmen. This could be endup being a blessing for them. A rainbow in the middle of a storm.
By LUDad
jinxy wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:34 pm To assume they all know something we dont is equally dumb. If they all knew something they would have all cancelled at the same time rather than staggered over 2 days.

It starts with the most liberal ivy league pulling the plug. Then the media snowball turns into an avalanche and moron rudy gobert pushes it all over the top. Everybody is scared to death of the scathing social media ridicule.

Cancelling things in june right now is over the top. It certainly could reach that point and soon but you literally lose nothing by making this decision 2 to 3 weeks down the road after postponing events now.

We are setting long term precedence with short term decision making here. This is showing our enemies the path to wreck us in the future.
My son is an ER PA and his wife is a pulmonary physician. I called and asked what I needed to be ready for if I got the virus. They said keep some motron around and avoid the flu. Said everything was about flattening the curve. Since there is no immunity, just the sheer number of inflections could simply overwhelm the system. So just strech it out so everyone does not get sick at once. Said they would be more concerned if I got the flu.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:43 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 12th, 2020, 5:35 pm I didn’t say that. I said if.

The NCAA just took away a season for spring athletes. There’s an argument that they owe those students their final season of eligibility. If they don’t give it to them, that’s a massive lawsuit waiting to happen.

But if they give it to them, what happens to incoming recruits and scholarship limits?
You are absolutely right. I don't see any way the NCAA can get away without giving waivers to any and all basketball and spring sports players if they desire them. And if you give it to seniors you also need to give it to underclassmen. This could be endup being a blessing for them. A rainbow in the middle of a storm.
That would be a tough balance since coaches have already recruited players to replace them. Then you run into the issue of scholarship limits etc
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:40 pm
Excellent post , i have had several people tell me this evening that the Democrats are behind this entire deal. Their goal is to destroy America, and this is just one thing on their list.
This is irresponsible rhetoric at this stage in the game. Its pretty shameful to be honest.
thesportscritic liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The truth of the matter is there is not enough tests to go around so there is no way of telling how fast or slow this is spreading so to help slow the spread officials are working with government officials to make these decisions. Once we get a handle on this and have it in our rearview mirror we will be able to analyze our reactions to it and develop an AAR. As a military man, @ballcoach15 , you should appreciate that.

I may believe that this is an over reaction, and I kind of do, but I get it and would rather be cautious to help slow the spread and not overwhelm our health system.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 12th, 2020, 6:34 pm It's time for new leadership within NCAA. The NCAA president should resign today, along with most, if not all P5 conference commissioners. This could very well be the end of NCAA as we know it. All the blame will rest on 7 individuals.
This sounds like wonderful news.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 13th, 2020, 5:44 am The truth of the matter is there is not enough tests to go around so there is no way of telling how fast or slow this is spreading so to help slow the spread officials are working with government officials to make these decisions. Once we get a handle on this and have it in our rearview mirror we will be able to analyze our reactions to it and develop an AAR. As a military man, @ballcoach15 , you should appreciate that.

I may believe that this is an over reaction, and I kind of do, but I get it and would rather be cautious to help slow the spread and not overwhelm our health system.
Having reliable test kits in sufficient quantities is a big key, and I think the lack of them has played a huge part in going to these lengths. If you can narrow down the infected individuals with some certainty, they can be isolated and others can live a more normal life. Not sure if anyone in particular is to blame for not having them yet, but we all know who is being blamed. The media has made a big deal about how places like S Korea have widespread testing in place, but they have been hit much harder than we have. I'm thinking those tests were hastily put together and really not very reliable.
thepostman liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I actually think there may be an element of truth to ballcoachs point. The democractic party will go to no end to take out trump. Even it means putting the countries economy in jeopardy. I dont think they created it but the timing of this whole thing and the media coverage is completely out of whack and when you put 2 and 2 together it does equal 4 in most forms of math.

Ballcoach may not have worded it completely right but i think its sad that any party would put personal politics ahead of the country. The recent video of pelosi basically talking about how to spread a lie and attach it to a rival (unless its fake, haven't had time to research it) leaves no question about what the elites of the dnc will do to take out trump.
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He said this is all coming from the democratic party and that is just not true. Are both republicans and democrats trying to politicize this? Of course because that is what they do with everything. Especially in an election year. It is not the time to do that and we shouldn't fall for their trap and do it ourselves.

I still think ballcoach's post was and is out of line, and he is a grown man and is capable of defending his own remarks.
thesportscritic liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Manson has started a thread on ASOR Twitter asking what are the 5 past Liberty games you would want to watch on a video loop while there are no live sports.

I'm really hoping either ASOR or Liberty's AC team puts something like this together. The AC guys are gunna have a ton of time on their hands (if they aren't laid off). They should be able to put together an extensive video library and make it conveniently available.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: March 13th, 2020, 9:26 am Manson has started a thread on ASOR Twitter asking what are the 5 past Liberty games you would want to watch on a video loop while there are no live sports.

I'm really hoping either ASOR or Liberty's AC team puts something like this together. The AC guys are gunna have a ton of time on their hands (if they aren't laid off). They should be able to put together an extensive video library and make it conveniently available.
I will just continue to watch Megan Johnson's perfect game. I have probably watched it 10-15 times already.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 13th, 2020, 9:39 am
oldflame wrote: March 13th, 2020, 9:26 am Manson has started a thread on ASOR Twitter asking what are the 5 past Liberty games you would want to watch on a video loop while there are no live sports.

I will just continue to watch Megan Johnson's perfect game. I have probably watched it 10-15 times already.
Further proof of what we all already Knew. :roll:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:58 am He said this is all coming from the democratic party and that is just not true. Are both republicans and democrats trying to politicize this? Of course because that is what they do with everything. Especially in an election year. It is not the time to do that and we shouldn't fall for their trap and do it ourselves.

I still think ballcoach's post was and is out of line, and he is a grown man and is capable of defending his own remarks.
If this were not an election year, games would still be played, in my opinion.
LUOrange liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: March 12th, 2020, 10:34 pm To assume they all know something we dont is equally dumb. If they all knew something they would have all cancelled at the same time rather than staggered over 2 days.

It starts with the most liberal ivy league pulling the plug. Then the media snowball turns into an avalanche and moron rudy gobert pushes it all over the top. Everybody is scared to death of the scathing social media ridicule.

Cancelling things in june right now is over the top. It certainly could reach that point and soon but you literally lose nothing by making this decision 2 to 3 weeks down the road after postponing events now.

We are setting long term precedence with short term decision making here. This is showing our enemies the path to wreck us in the future.
This virus deal doesn't meet the smell test for me. Does anyone here know anyone in a life threatening condition with it? No .... and we have cancelled all sports, crashed our markets and everyone's pensions. I'm becoming very suspicious. It comes at the same time Trump has pulled the curtain back on China and the globalist in bed with the communist. Russia and Saudi's don't like our new found oil Independence, we are now a global leader. So they are jacking around with oil production while they can. EU has been put on notice, the free ride is over. All this at once?

Like I said I need see more people sick before my suspicions go way :dontgetit
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Postie you seem want to be viewed as non offensive middle of the road on all issues known to man. Good luck ever solving anything without ever taking a stand on anything.

Show me a republican that has politicized THIS issue. It may be out there but im not aware of it. But i can show you dozens of liberal politicization of this. Im not talking local level. Im talking national level voices of the parties.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think it would be a totally irresponsible and extremely short-sighted "snowflake" decision, and I doubt it will happen, but if Seniors are granted an extra year over this, the NCAA will have no choice but to make exceptions to scholarship limits next year. This would actually give a huge advantage to schools with deep pockets like Liberty. There are others who struggle to pay for the normal scholarship limits and would be forced to make painful decisions based on $$. It's a horrible idea.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Football and basketball will recover quickly because ESPN basically governs these 2 sports. Baseball and softball, will take longer, probably 2 or 3 years. It's going to create havoc for coaches with roster management, recruiting, and transfers.

As for football, after spring practice, it was predicted Quarterbacks were going to fill up transfer portal after they saw their place on depth charts. If spring practice and games get canceled, many QBs will be in limbo.
LUOrange liked this
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 13th, 2020, 9:45 am

This virus deal doesn't meet the smell test for me. Does anyone here know anyone in a life threatening condition with it? No .... and we have cancelled all sports, crashed our markets and everyone's pensions. I'm becoming very suspicious. It comes at the same time Trump has pulled the curtain back on China and the globalist in bed with the communist. Russia and Saudi's don't like our new found oil Independence, we are now a global leader. So they are jacking around with oil production while they can. EU has been put on notice, the free ride is over. All this at once?

You will. Give it 2-3 weeks. It’s not a conspiracy. It’s happening.
By LUDad
oldflame wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:22 am I think it would be a totally irresponsible and extremely short-sighted "snowflake" decision, and I doubt it will happen, but if Seniors are granted an extra year over this, the NCAA will have no choice but to make exceptions to scholarship limits next year. This would actually give a huge advantage to schools with deep pockets like Liberty. There are others who struggle to pay for the normal scholarship limits and would be forced to make painful decisions based on $$. It's a horrible idea.
Of course they will need to except limits by the amount of waivers. This will give LU an advantage. :D But you also need to ask the players if its fair to kill their senior season. That's the whole purpose of waivers.
adam42381 wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:38 am
TH Spangler wrote: March 13th, 2020, 9:45 am

You will. Give it 2-3 weeks. It’s not a conspiracy. It’s happening.
Unless these precautions actually work and we can control the spread of things.

That's the catch 22 here. If the precautions work, the skeptics will think everything was an over reaction.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:20 am Postie you seem want to be viewed as non offensive middle of the road on all issues known to man. Good luck ever solving anything without ever taking a stand on anything.

Show me a republican that has politicized THIS issue. It may be out there but im not aware of it. But i can show you dozens of liberal politicization of this. Im not talking local level. Im talking national level voices of the parties.
You're right in some regard, I do try my very best to block my own personal biases out of things when posting about issues. We all have them so it is impossible to do all the time. With that said, I have seen plenty of political rhetoric coming from republicans and democrats on this and it is just ridiculous if you ask me.

If you would like me to come up with a list I will when I'm not at work but all you really have to do is turn on Fox News, listen to conservative radio or fire up the old twitter machine. It is out there and readily available. Many times people don't hear those they agree with as making things political. Is it possible this is what you're doing?
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:48 am
oldflame wrote: March 13th, 2020, 10:22 am I think it would be a totally irresponsible and extremely short-sighted "snowflake" decision, and I doubt it will happen, but if Seniors are granted an extra year over this, the NCAA will have no choice but to make exceptions to scholarship limits next year. This would actually give a huge advantage to schools with deep pockets like Liberty. There are others who struggle to pay for the normal scholarship limits and would be forced to make painful decisions based on $$. It's a horrible idea.
Of course they will need to except limits by the amount of waivers. This will give LU an advantage. :D But you also need to ask the players if its fair to kill their senior season. That's the whole purpose of waivers.
Sometimes life is not fair. If they were to do this, what do they do next year if a Senior gets injured right before the tournament? They had their Senior season "killed" by something equally beyond their control. Waivers have not been granted in the past for this, nor should they be IMHO.

Just as a point of information, for every incoming recruit that has signed a NLI, schools are contractually obligated to provide a scholarship for the next year. This is not true of the Seniors.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@jinxy look no further then Jerry Jr casually inserting a North Korea conspiracy theory. Using this virus to further some agenda. And agendas like these can be found all over the place from people on both sides of the aisle.
By LUDad
[/quote]

Sometimes life is not fair. If they were to do this, what do they do next year if a Senior gets injured right before the tournament? They had their Senior season "killed" by something equally beyond their control. Waivers have not been granted in the past for this, nor should they be IMHO.

Just as a point of information, for every incoming recruit that has signed a NLI, schools are contractually obligated to provide a scholarship for the next year. This is not true of the Seniors.
[/quote]

This is one time I expect the political correct NCAA to make the right decision to allow waivers simply because it "seems" to be the fair thing to do. I would think they would allow the school to decide if they can "afford" too do so. I would also expect the student with the granted waiver to be able to transfer and play immediately if said school cannot "afford" the waiver. Now that I have written the policy, all the ncaa has to do is implement it. :D

EDIT: In fact, I would love to see Jr. to get out in front on this and immediately request waivers and an extra roster spot for all BB and spring sport players for next year and file suit if denied. The players have been disavantaged for the good of the country and they were happy to do so but this is an opportunity for the country to return thanks.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Since it has become a topic of discussion, I thought I would speculate on what our MBB Seniors might do if an extra year was granted.

Caleb Homesley:
He has been around for 5 years and has come back from 2 ACL injuries. I believe (not positive) he will complete his master's this Spring. He is (last I heard) engaged to be married. While the NBA is a long shot IMHO, there is no doubt he can make some $$ playing somewhere next year, and another injury would probably wipe that out. I wouldn't see him returning.

Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz:
He was picked #1 overall in the Puerto Rican professional league draft by his home town team in Ponce. He is also a part of the national team there. He has made it pretty clear he loves his home country and misses it. I suspect he would move on, but he is a grad student at Liberty, and completing his master's on the scholarship dime might be enough to keep him around another year.

Scottie James:
After 5 years at LU and Bradley, he is also in aposition to make some $$ overseas, and he is married. I don't see him returning.

Myo Baxter-Bell:
More a gut feeling than anything, but I think he might be the most likely to return. He has improved tremendously, but I would think his chances to play pro somewhere are still borderline right now, and he would almost certainly start and get more minutes if he came back (and Scottie didn't 8) ).
LUOrange liked this
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in fa[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]