If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It isn't that simple BC...as someone who has worked in a newspaper himself, and read the pages before going to the printer, they can't just drop a story in if it doesn't make deadline. As noteworthy a victory as it was (and it certainly was), if they wanted to put a story in about that, whether from the AP, a reporter or otherwise, if they already have their budget for that day's edition laid out, they would have to drop another, probably equally noteworthy, story to make room. Im sure someone in the newsroom was following the race but they can't simply drag and drop stories in the paper however they wish. If they put the story in about William Byron's victory, especially if they use a story from the AP or other wire reports, that means they remove another story and have to completely reformay the affected pages and other trickle down effects that could jeopardize getting it printed on time.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sports page today was so small, they should have had ample room for it. It wasn't like yesterday was a huge day in sports.
Richmond Times Dispatch had a story on Byron's win today, but it made no mention of Liberty.

If some disgruntled Liberty student had said something to N&A, it would have made front page.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on September 1st, 2020, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Students reading paper has nothing to do with it.

I doubt if paper is even delivered to campus.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 3:58 pm Byron has signed a 2 year extension with Hendrick Motorsports. I hope LU remains as sponsor.
While I think it's "cool" that Liberty sponsors WB, I firmly believe that the new administration has a fiduciary responsibility to look closely at how much the millions of dollars spent on that sponsorship is actually benefiting the school. Parts of that are difficult to measure, but parts are not. In light of recent events, I don't think its out of line to question whether JR's judgement regarding the school's relationship with HMS was influenced by the significant personal "perks" he enjoyed as a result of it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: September 1st, 2020, 4:17 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 3:58 pm Byron has signed a 2 year extension with Hendrick Motorsports. I hope LU remains as sponsor.
While I think it's "cool" that Liberty sponsors WB, I firmly believe that the new administration has a fiduciary responsibility to look closely at how much the millions of dollars spent on that sponsorship is actually benefiting the school. Parts of that are difficult to measure, but parts are not. In light of recent events, I don't think its out of line to question whether JR's judgement regarding the school's relationship with HMS was influenced by the significant personal "perks" he enjoyed as a result of it.
It is nearly impossible to quantify an ROI on that type of sponsorship. I think it’s a unique and creative way to market and have no problem with it. Historically NASCAR fans are hyper loyal to whatever brands are sponsoring their favorite drivers. While that’s been in decline for awhile there is a hardcore segment where that is still true.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:09 pm Given the demographics of NASCAR, I think there are plenty of better ways to spend those $8 million.
I prefer an F1 sponsorship, that viewership is going up and their fans are just as loyal. And global.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:09 pm Given the demographics of NASCAR, I think there are plenty of better ways to spend those $8 million.
Would it make a difference if we sponsored Bubba Wallace's car? For some reason, I expect that it would. :roll: :roll: :roll:
jinxy liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm guessing he was talking about the age of NASCAR fans, not race.

Regardless, I'd guess the sponsorship is more about getting Liberty's name out there with parents. I mean, it must work. The DoD spends a good portion of their recruiting budget on NASCAR sponsorships and we all know the DoD doesn't waist money. :D
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:31 pm
Would it make a difference if we sponsored Bubba Wallace's car? For some reason, I expect that it would. :roll: :roll: :roll:
The major difference between sponsorship of the #24 car vs. the #43 car, is Byron is a LU student. I don't think any other Division 1 school has a student who drives in Cup series.

If the $$$$$$$$$$$ was available, I would endorse Purple's idea of sponsoring a F1 team, in addition to NASCAR. I do like his "global " comment from earlier.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:48 pm I would endorse Purple's idea of sponsoring a F1 team, in addition to NASCAR. I do like his "global " comment from earlier.
Someone put Haize on watch. First Carone starts agreeing with him, and now Ballcoach. :lol:
JK37 liked this
By NeoFlame
Demographics don't make sense with F1. LU aligns perfectly with the NASCAR demo.

Country Music, NASCAR, and military were always the leading demos for LU outside of faith related interests.
By Jonathan Carone
It’d make a difference if it were a sport who’s average fan wasn’t 58 years old.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:00 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 5:48 pm I would endorse Purple's idea of sponsoring a F1 team, in addition to NASCAR. I do like his "global " comment from earlier.
Someone put Haize on watch. First Carone starts agreeing with him, and now Ballcoach. :lol:
The Rona is affecting everyone! :shock:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:10 pm
It’d make a difference if it were a sport who’s average fan wasn’t 58 years old.
Average age of every fan is probably 58, regardless of sport. Bleachers are not overflowing with youngsters.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:10 pm
Of course I can't prove it, but I don't believe that is what you were referencing. I will just have to take your word for it.
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm Average age of every fan is probably 58, regardless of sport. Bleachers are not overflowing with youngsters.
Which is exactly why we should be taking that money and putting it where their eyes are. I’d be dumping money into YouTube and esports.
By Jonathan Carone
I thought it was interesting so I looked it up. Here are the average age of fans by sport:

NASCAR - 58
MLB - 57
NHL - 50
NFL - 47
MLS - 40
NBA - 37
Esports - 26
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:44 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm Average age of every fan is probably 58, regardless of sport. Bleachers are not overflowing with youngsters.
Which is exactly why we should be taking that money and putting it where their eyes are. I’d be dumping money into YouTube and esports.
Esports would be a difficult fit. Not sure LU would want its name associated with a lot of the games etc.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Anyone know average age for NCAA sports. Probably should not count students. Even though they're at the games, they're probably there for socializing more than the sport.

esports are not real sports.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: September 1st, 2020, 7:34 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2020, 6:44 pm
Esports would be a difficult fit. Not sure LU would want its name associated with a lot of the games etc.
That’s fair. There are a few games that could fit. And maybe it’s not attaching the name to a specific tournament but instead getting ad time during some. Haven’t studied it enough for specifics.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]