If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 12th, 2020, 8:53 am
oldflame wrote: February 12th, 2020, 7:01 am
chris leedlelee wrote: February 11th, 2020, 11:37 am

I must be in the minority then. If a league was founded that had the 1940's era football rules, I would be the biggest fan.
He's talking about 1869, not the 1940s. Huge difference.
You’ve been around for both, which do you prefer :D :lol: :lol:
I was going to say you should ask Mrs. Purple.
But that would be wrong. 8)

In the 40s, the forward pass had already been around for 30 years. Obviously some rules have changed, but the basic format of the game was pretty much what we have now.

The Rutgers-Princeton game in 1869 featured 25 players on a side, and the ball was advanced and goals scored by batting or kicking the ball toward/into a soccer style goal. Carrying or throwing the ball was not allowed.
By chris leedlelee
oldflame wrote: February 12th, 2020, 7:01 am He's talking about 1869, not the 1940s. Huge difference.
Oh, I know there was a difference. I just miss the old school football. UFC is definitely rife with concussions, but because it is a sport that only draws the attention of a certain subset of the population, it continues on as is. Because football has become mainstream, it is subject to the swaying cultural values of the population and does not remain pure. I believe there have been studies that show that there were fewer concussions with leather helmets because players had to tackle differently, and I wouldn't mind a change similar to that.

Tell me that this version of football doesn't look grittier than our current version.

By BlueBlood
the use of home and away uniforms must have been one of the later evolutions of the game.
By chris leedlelee
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 12th, 2020, 7:50 pm I don’t want grittier football. I want more entertaining football.
I fully understand that I am in the minority on this issue, unfortunately. If only this country was communist and we could have state-sponsored nationalized football which was not subject to the whims of a changing market and culture.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
gambling has driven sports as long as i can remember. and now that its legal all over, this product has been able to capitalize on that and that is the reason that it could succeed where the ogxfl and the alliance league could not. This league is financially poised to be able to absorb some lean years but they have the nfl helping, they are gearing the broadcast towards gambling, and when you do that you get eyeballs. lockitin is one fo the highest watched FS1 programs. Barstool sports which was was a New england gambling newsletter is now valued at 450 million dollars and a lion share of its content is gambling focused. Fantasy football (for all intents and purposes gambling) drove the NFL to new heights. and what caused the dwindle of fantasy sports? daily fantasy sports which kind of unmasked fantasy sports for what they were. gambling.

thats why the XFL could succeed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
XFL was doing ok before the pandemic but couldn't survive that. In an odd development Dwayne "the rock" Johnson has joined an ownership group and bout the XFL.

By Class of 20Something
Does anyone in that ownership group have the savvy to bubble a brand new league if NCAA fails to field college football this fall?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I thought the same thing watching that game. A couple really outstanding reviews, and I did appreciate the transparency as well. Wish the NFL would do this

This was the one that impressed me:

Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]