If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I watched a lot of the early game and some of the 2nd game today and was pleasantly surprised. It was a decent product. I like a lot of the rule changes and enjoy the point after choices.

Did any of you guys watch? If so what did you think?

I'll tune in off and on for the rest of the season as time allows.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Like you postman I tuned in to the first one and was pleasantly surprised especially with only 1 penalty in the entire first half! The faster game play was noticeable and that doesn't bother me. It felt like real football unlike the first go around of the XFL.
thepostman liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think the NFL should really look into incorporating some of their ideas. At the very least the clock operation rules should be added. It helped keep the game moving.

It is clear that the talent is low level NFL talent but it still was good football. The first time around they had like a 2 week training camp. These guys have been working out together for at least 2 months now. That alone helps.

I like the kick off too. I didn't think I would be it's a cool wrinkle and much safer.
By Class of 20Something
The pace was incredible. Dude hurled lining up in the Roughnecks game.

Bang bang plays were fine.

We quickly learned who isn't good with numbers by going for one instead of two.

This is fun. The NFL actually has an entertaining product to compete against.
By cruzan_flame13
I was actually interested in what I saw in the first game. It really was a fan focused game and I might look into some more games. The rules are quite interesting as well and should get more viewership later in the season. At least we know that McMahan has funded 3 seasons of this, so it might be here for awhile. We might even get a XFL video game as well, so the sky's the limit.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Bob Knight came back to Indiana. That’s all I cared about today. But heard good things about the xfl
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Watched whole first game. Tiny bit of second. Love the kickoff rule. Love the timing rules, especially in last 2 minutes. Keeps game moving. Thought I would like the greater access to played and coaches, but only had one good zinger from Zorn that cracked me up.

Overall, entertaining. But I can’t necessarily see carving out time to set aside to watch. I watched because I happened to be free. Which is what this time of year is. It’s absolutely NOT competing against the NFL. It never will. But it fills in the gap between a Super Bowl and MLB. Which has always been known and tried several times. This looks like the best effort yet.

In the end, I don’t feel an allegiance to a team yet. I would need that to get me watching consistently, I think.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 9th, 2020, 12:19 am Bob Knight came back to Indiana. That’s all I cared about today. But heard good things about the xfl
Did he throw any chairs or drop f bombs? If not, not worth my time :D

The sideline interviews right after good or bad plays are pretty comical. Especially when f bombs are dropped on live tv. Haha
By Ill flame
People keep competing the XFL to the AAf and saying they won't make it through the first season. This version of the XFL feels much better planned and I think it'll stick around for at least a couple seasons. I can see attendance being a problem considering the games are played in outdoor stadiums in northern cities during the coldest time of year. Future tv contracts are going to make or break this league.
By Class of 20Something
Greg Olsen is rocking his broadcasting gig.

Aaron Murray's play is as good as his bowl predictions.

Hearing the officials conversation is baller.

Just watched the first election. Good call.

Jury is out on attendance. Seems good for first weekend.
By Ill flame
It's week 1 so I expected attendance to do well. Let's see how it looks week 8. I know the st Louis franchise is moving from the Rams old stadium to the new MLS stadium when it opens so that will help. They should try to find stadium in the 15,000-25,000 range since it's a made for TV product
thepostman liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Season tickets sales are doing well across the board considering how poorly the AAF did last year. I'm not sure if the XFL will survive but something about it just feels different.

Agree with you @Ill flame 100%, I'm not sure why they didn't gi with small stadiums across the board.
By Class of 20Something
Yeah the MLS stadiums should be perfect. I wouldn’t be surprised if grounds crews are the protest there though. Football is brutal on turf and professional soccer should be played on immaculate grass.

I’m kind of surprised the Ballpark in Arlington seats 48k. I’ve been to a ton of games there but my brain never said it was that big.
thepostman liked this
By BlueBlood
I liked the AAF’s southern footprint better.
I liked the AAF’s emphasis on development / desire to be NFL’s minor league better.

Other than those items, XFL is probably better. Much better finances, much better TV package. I like the kick off rule. I’m fine with the extra pts continuum. Decent number of recognizable names (especially at QB).

One thing both leagues got right is only having a few teams. By doing this, you see the same teams/players over and over and it will breed familiarity. There are only 4 TV time slots to fill, so there is no need for any more than 8 teams.
chris leedlelee liked this
By Ill flame
It was a smart move to put the XFL teams in huge markets instead of the smaller untapped markets that the AAF was going for. Birmingham for example is the equivalent of 1% of NYC's metro area. Southern States are just much more interested in college football than professional. All 8 XFL cities are a proven market for pro football.
CCWMichael liked this
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
I went to the game in DC this past weekend with my brother in law and we had an absolute blast! The size of Audi Field was perfect, not too big and not too small. I'd definitely say MLS size stadiums are perfect for the league at this point. The crowd was fun, felt more like a WWE event than a pro football game, which made for a light hearted and fun experience. The football itself was probably at a lower/mid FBS level, definitely have room for improvement on that end but overall I'd highly recommend anyone interested to go to a game!

EDIT: For those wondering about the stadium choices, particularly in NY/NJ, give this a read:

"Red Bull Arena bid to host XFL matches earlier this yr and actually beat out MetLife as the venue. However, my sources tell me XFL braintrust (Vince McMahon) went with higher price MetLife because:

"When NYers think football, they think MetLife." "
@DaveMartinezNY

https://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2019/9/ ... um-metlife
By chris leedlelee
The one modification that I truly dislike is the kickoffs. I understand that it is for player safety, but in a lesser league, entertainment and the purity of the football game should be the priority.
By Class of 20Something
chris leedlelee wrote: February 10th, 2020, 8:18 pm The one modification that I truly dislike is the kickoffs. I understand that it is for player safety, but in a lesser league, entertainment and the purity of the football game should be the priority.
But it's increasing the chances of an explosive play. I saw multiple kicks returned past midfield.
By BlueBlood
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 10th, 2020, 10:00 pm “Purity of football” is something I want no part of.

Change the rules.

Take chances.

Entertain me.
If anyone hasn’t seen the ESPN College Football 150 episode that covers the evolution of the game, they should. What we have today in no way resembles what took place between Princeton and Rutgers. And I think most of us are happy about that.
By chris leedlelee
BlueBlood wrote: February 11th, 2020, 9:27 am If anyone hasn’t seen the ESPN College Football 150 episode that covers the evolution of the game, they should. What we have today in no way resembles what took place between Princeton and Rutgers. And I think most of us are happy about that.
I must be in the minority then. If a league was founded that had the 1940's era football rules, I would be the biggest fan.
By CCWMichael
Recalling XFL 1 and the USFL I did not watch.
Viewing some reports here I may tune in this weekend.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: February 11th, 2020, 11:37 am
BlueBlood wrote: February 11th, 2020, 9:27 am If anyone hasn’t seen the ESPN College Football 150 episode that covers the evolution of the game, they should. What we have today in no way resembles what took place between Princeton and Rutgers. And I think most of us are happy about that.
I must be in the minority then. If a league was founded that had the 1940's era football rules, I would be the biggest fan.
He's talking about 1869, not the 1940s. Huge difference.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 12th, 2020, 7:01 am
chris leedlelee wrote: February 11th, 2020, 11:37 am
He's talking about 1869, not the 1940s. Huge difference.
You’ve been around for both, which do you prefer :D :lol: :lol:
ballcoach15 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]