If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I’ve read numerous articles that list the average FBS attendance and the % year to year drop. The concerns they list as contributing factors are legit. However, I haven’t seen anyone mention a very real contributing factor to the average attendance drop - teams like us joining FBS.

Every time you add a Coastal, Charlotte, both GSUs, Texas St, UMass, ODU, App St, UTSA, So. Alabama, etc - you are adding a number that brings the average down.
Last edited by BlueBlood on January 11th, 2020, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your right Jon. I also agree with a lot of these teams moving up that may have an effect on those numbers. I would love to see teams like North Dakota state and JMU move up though. Watching this championship game on ABC, they filled up the stadium in Frisco, which is not close to either team.

That Alabama idea is wild. Obviously, we can't offer students the first choice tickets to the CFP like them, so I'm not sure what we could offer. It does feel big brotherish though.
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:05 pm I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but my opinion on why attendance is down is because the tv product is so good. Why invest a full day and $100-$200 on a game when you can get a better view from your couch and only invest minimal time?
Also, with the rise of cellular technology, attention spans amongst Gen Z are much less. Therefore, a four-hour football game is less appealing when the student can go to a bar with their friends for a cheaper price and watch the game casually.
I talked a bit about it with my VT freshman son. He goes to the games but I agree with others that HDTV is part of declining attendance. Also, I can see the appeal of watch parties.

The thing that jumped out to me in the article is how much rising costs and higher academic standards are changing the complexion of student bodies at the large state universities. That there is an increasing number of students who are much more focused on academics and are typically not as interested in football. Makes sense to me.

Very interesting topic.
LU 57 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 8:41 pm The thing that jumped out to me in the article is how much rising costs and higher academic standards are changing the complexion of student bodies at the large state universities. That there is an increasing number of students who are much more focused on academics and are typically not as interested in football. Makes sense to me.

Very interesting topic.
I can confirm that many times where I didn't attend an LU game that it was often due to being overwhelmed with Pre-med homework. That is often the case, unfortunately.
ballcoach15 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 2:57 pm JMU needs to stay where are at now
Will we ever draw bigger crowds than JMU does? Facilities wise, they seem to have higher aspirations than LU does. If they can put a good team on the floor, they will be filing their brand new 8600 seat arena. The only thing that inhibits them from advancing to FBS is state restrictions on use of student fees.
JMU had 3 home playoff games(to be fair, during break) and never cracked 11k in three games. JMU is putting 14k students(out of 19k+ residential enrollment) in the stands during the season. For reference Liberty residential is only at about 12.5k resident enrollment.

Libertys low level cure bowl game was better attended than the FCS natty.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]