If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
While reading News & Advance this morning, I saw article pertaining to 3 new bowl games next season, bringing total to 42. It did not name new bowls or location.
Article also stated that a task force would be formed by the FBA, to generate ideas on how to grow bowl attendance, with ticket pricing, match-ups, and proximity of fan bases to bowl sites.
Until they change current bowl tie ins, this might be difficult to do. Currently the bowl tie ins screw some bowls, by having to take undesirable teams.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 10:25 am While reading News & Advance this morning...
How well read is Ballcoach? Last week at breakfast, he told me that he bought SIX newspapers to read that morning: :shock: Study :oldhag
1. Lynchburg News & Advance
2. Roanoke Times
3. Richmond Times
4. Danville Register
5. Washington Post
6. USA Today
Last edited by Cider Jim on January 10th, 2020, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If I recall correctly, he has also said he only reads the sports pages, and you can bet that a lot of that is duplicate articles from outside sources. Most important question would be WHY? Apparently he does have access to the internet. A lot of trouble and expense IMHO, apparently just to confirm "old school" status. :dontgetit
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 10th, 2020, 11:36 am
ballcoach15 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 10:25 am While reading News & Advance this morning...
How well read is Ballcoach? Last week at breakfast, he told me that he bought FIVE newspapers to read that morning: :shock: Study :oldhag
2. Roanoke Times
3. Richmond Times
4. Washington Post
5. USA Today
I would ask ballcoach to post a link to the article but you would just do his work for him :lol:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 10th, 2020, 11:36 am
How well read is Ballcoach? Last week at breakfast, he told me that he bought FIVE newspapers to read that morning: :shock: Study :oldhag
2. Roanoke Times
3. Richmond Times
4. Washington Post
5. USA Today
It was 6. You left out Danville Register & Bee
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, I thought you told me six papers, but I couldn't remember the name of that last one. :dontgetit
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:41 pm If more on this board would read the morning paper, I would not have to coach them up as much.
Who exactly do you coach up?

As far as bowl games go, I'd like to see fewer games but schools love to get their name out there. If it weren't for the ungodly number of bowl games we wouldn't of been in a bowl game but that was a fun experience so I am being kind of hypocritical.

In a few years things are probably going to shake up again with bowl tie-ins, etc. So it'll be interesting
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I liked the part about match ups and the proximity of fans to the bowl site. Granted some current bowl tie ins put some bowls at a disadvantage when putting fans in the bleachers.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 10th, 2020, 9:17 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:41 pm If more on this board would read the morning paper, I would not have to coach them up as much.
Who exactly do you coach up?
The voices in his head and his invisible friends?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballacoach has friends. You should see how the Old Men's Club has grown this year! (and so far none of them has died yet). :oldhag :oldhag :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 11th, 2020, 10:12 am Ballacoach has friends. You should see how the Old Men's Club has grown this year! (and so far none of them has died yet). :oldhag :oldhag :oldhag
You are quite the defender. Perhaps you are actually ballcoach under a pen name Study
By LU 57
I get that a lot of you guys do not like ballcoach but what is the point in trying to run him off? It is getting a bit tiresome.

I mean, it’s a sports message board, not a federal court case. Let’s not take ourselves too seriously, demanding cited sources and such.
ballcoach15, jinxy liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Some actually know very little about sports, thus they have to resort to attempted psychology, in order to write a post.
By Class of 20Something
LU 57 wrote: January 11th, 2020, 8:45 pm I get that a lot of you guys do not like ballcoach but what is the point in trying to run him off? It is getting a bit tiresome.

I mean, it’s a sports message board, not a federal court case. Let’s not take ourselves too seriously, demanding cited sources and such.
Because it detracts from the board. I'm fine with different opinions. Just back them up with something credible. Otherwise you're just noise.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 2:30 pm Sometimes opinions are just that, opinions. They cannot be backed up.
Ummmm.... :dontgetit
By LUDad
Cider Jim wrote: January 11th, 2020, 10:12 am Ballacoach has friends. You should see how the Old Men's Club has grown this year! (and so far none of them has died yet). :oldhag :oldhag :oldhag
Old Men's Club! So how do you join? Come to think of it, I likely have a number of years to go yet before I qualify since I am only 70...well, something to look forward to.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: January 13th, 2020, 2:33 pm
Old Men's Club! So how do you join? Come to think of it, I likely have a number of years to go yet before I qualify since I am only 70...well, something to look forward to.
I believe you have to do one or more of the following:
Show up at Hardee’s on Candlers Mountain are for Breakfast
Attend LU sporting events and sit with those same people
Regale said group with exploits of your HS athletic career
Act like you know more than the coaches or officials at any sporting event that you attend
Have one hobby you pursue in a moderate obsessive nature
Be >50
ballcoach15 liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Learned something today. You must defend your opinions or your not allowed to post. You guys hold bc to a higher standard than our politicians.

100 percent agree lu57.
ballcoach15, LU 57 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 13th, 2020, 2:53 pm
I believe you have to do one or more of the following:
1. Show up at Hardee’s on Candlers Mountain are for Breakfast
2. Attend LU sporting events and sit with those same people
3. Regale said group with exploits of your HS athletic career
4. Act like you know more than the coaches or officials at any sporting event that you attend
5. Have one hobby you pursue in a moderate obsessive nature
Be >50
Purple, that pretty well sums it up, with a few additions:
6. You need to attend a few away games.
7. And it helps if you have coached or umpired at least one sport.

And you should be old enough to order a Senior Coffee at Hardees (age 55+).
DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]