If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
in the Maui Invitational.

Now granted, I think MSU was over rated.
(as most B10 teams in every sport)

But it's a good win for VT.

Buzz who ?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 25th, 2019, 9:38 pm in the Maui Invitational.

Buzz who ?
The Hokies have been outstanding, with 3 FR playing key roles. FR Landers Nolley is averaging over 20 a game. Don't know for sure, but I those guys were Williams recruits who signed last Fall.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 25th, 2019, 9:38 pm in the Maui Invitational.

Buzz who ?
The Hokies have been outstanding, with 3 FR playing key roles. R-FR Landers Nolley, who was on the roster last year is averaging over 20 a game. Don't know for sure, but I believe the other 2 were Williams recruits who signed last Fall. Young's situation is the exact reverse of taking over for a coach who got fired, where you say "give him 3 or 4 years til he has his own players". Not sure how it will go, but with Young it will be more like "let's see how good they are in 4 years when all of Buzz's players are gone."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 26th, 2019, 7:51 pm Several people have told me, " Mike Young can coach"
Several people have told me water is wet.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 26th, 2019, 7:51 pm Several people have told me, " Mike Young can coach"
It took him 8 years to have a winning season at Wofford. The last 10 were mostly good, and last year's team was special. The issue here is not Xs and Os or player development. He's probably good enough at those to win for at least the next 2 or 3 years with the talent they have now. The jury is out as to whether he can recruit enough ACC caliber players to keep it going, especially to Blacksburg. Pretty much nobody not named Buzz Williams has been able to. Early results are encouraging, as he signed a 4 star and a 3 star (both shooting guards) in the early signing period. Barring attrition, that accounts for all their scholarships for 2020.
Last edited by olldflame on November 27th, 2019, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Nolley and Bede were indeed Buzz recruits who entered the transfer portal and decided to stay when they met Young. Most of Buzz's other recruits stuck with him to go to Texas A&M or looked elsewhere when he left Blacksburg. Fine win on Monday, tough loss on Tuesday to a very good Dayton team that will challenge VCU in the A-10. I was hoping the Hokies would be competitive this year and it's clear they're going to be. Young has a lot to do with that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:21 am
It took him 8 years to have a winning season at Wofford. The last 10 were mostly good, and last year's team was special. The issue here is not Xs and Os or player development. He's probably good enough at those to win for at least the next 2 or 3 years with the talent they have now. The jury is very much out as to whether he can recruit enough ACC caliber players to keep it going, especially to Blacksburg. Pretty much nobody not named Buzz Williams has been able to.
Buzz left the cupboard super bare when he left. It was an ugly divorce. Young brings a unique system into the ACC. Tony Bennet did as well. I didn’t think Bennet’s style could translate to the ACC but was obviously proved wrong. So I’m going to withhold judgment on Young.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 27th, 2019, 11:02 am
oldflame wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:21 am
It took him 8 years to have a winning season at Wofford. The last 10 were mostly good, and last year's team was special. The issue here is not Xs and Os or player development. He's probably good enough at those to win for at least the next 2 or 3 years with the talent they have now. The jury is very much out as to whether he can recruit enough ACC caliber players to keep it going, especially to Blacksburg. Pretty much nobody not named Buzz Williams has been able to.
Buzz left the cupboard super bare when he left. It was an ugly divorce. Young brings a unique system into the ACC. Tony Bennet did as well. I didn’t think Bennet’s style could translate to the ACC but was obviously proved wrong. So I’m going to withhold judgment on Young.
I wouldn't call a cupboard that has Landers Nolley in it exactly bare, and they only had 2 schollies available for 2020, so it wasn't really a mass exodus. He did bring his starting Center at Wofford (Peter Aluma's son Keve) with him. Don't know if he is ACC caliber or not. We'll find out next year.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Tech LOST to Dayton. :brownbag
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 27th, 2019, 11:31 am Tech LOST to Dayton. :brownbag
Losing to Dayton is not cause for a paper bag. They are 5-0 and have been good for years. Losing 89-62 ............. maybe. Interested in seeing how the Flyers do against Rock Chalk today.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Tech didn't defend worth a crap last night and Nolley got into early foul trouble, but let's not call a loss to Dayton bad. That's a regular NCAA Tournament team that will challenge for the A-10 title who has an elite player in Obi Toppin. There's a reason why the Flyers were 4-point favorites last night.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
A middle-of-the-pack ACC team losing to a top A-10 team isn't really an upset, and certainly not anything to be embarrassed about (except, MAYBE the score).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: November 27th, 2019, 11:40 am
Losing to Dayton is not cause for a paper bag. They are 5-0 and have been good for years. Losing 89-62 ............. maybe. Interested in seeing how the Flyers do against Rock Chalk today.
They did pretty darn good. They are a sweet 16 team for sure
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 28th, 2019, 7:48 am
Very well could be, and they may not win their conference. The A-10 is absolutely LOADED this year.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
@ballcoach15 Have you looked at their schedule? USC Upstate, Coppin State, Delaware State and Lehigh say hello.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: November 28th, 2019, 9:13 am
Purple Haize wrote: November 28th, 2019, 7:48 am

Very well could be, and they may not win their conference. The A-10 is absolutely LOADED this year.
Both statements could be true. They look built for Tournament play. Not too many teams are going to have that dominant inside presence Kansas has.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 28th, 2019, 2:04 pm Kansas is one of those schools that should be banned from post season for NCAA violations.

I.e. buying recruits
It is quite possible they will be penalized, (but not because you don't like them). Former LU recruit Isaac McBride, who signed with them last year, entered the transfer portal and left school in September. One of the rumored reasons is that he didn't want to be in a program that was very likely to be under NCAA suspension much of his career.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]