If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Some NCAA Board voted today at Emery University in Atlanta to allow athletes to be paid. I don't yet know details. Saw it on internet.

In my opinion, this the 2nd step to destroying college sports. (First step was the stupid transfer policy)
I wonder how this is going to affect the smaller schools out there. I wouldn't want the gap between the Group of 5 and Power 5 to be widened dramatically because of rules like this. I agree with you that the possibility of immediate eligibility for transfers has been a bad decision.
ballcoach15 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 4:55 pm Title IX lawyers are probably preparing to burn midnight oil tonight. If you pay the QB, you will have to pay the shortstop on softball team
Have you read what this actually means??? Your posts on this indicates you haven't actually read what it entails. You should probably read the article I just shared so you aren't ignorant on the facts on this anymore.
thepostman wrote: October 29th, 2019, 5:07 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 4:55 pm Title IX lawyers are probably preparing to burn midnight oil tonight. If you pay the QB, you will have to pay the shortstop on softball team
Have you read what this actually means??? Your posts on this indicates you haven't actually read what it entails. You should probably read the article I just shared so you aren't ignorant on the facts on this anymore.
He would first need to learn how to read, which he has proven time and time again that he is incapable of doing so.
chris leedlelee wrote: October 29th, 2019, 4:11 pm I wonder how this is going to affect the smaller schools out there. I wouldn't want the gap between the Group of 5 and Power 5 to be widened dramatically because of rules like this. I agree with you that the possibility of immediate eligibility for transfers has been a bad decision.
I imagine nearly all of the money the vast majority of player gets off this NIL stuff is going to come from local/state stuff like car dealers, restaurants, etc.

Just think, how many national "household names" in any sport is there for the casual fan? Those are the same type of guys that get the shoe contracts straight out of college, they are few and far between, and they are the type of athlete that is going to the power conference schools anyways.
thepostman wrote: October 29th, 2019, 5:07 pm
you expect him to post sources or read references? He never has and never will. Just make baseless claims and accusations
The details of this are still unclear, and likely will be for a while, but my understanding is that this is not schools providing a salary to players but is allowing players to profit from their likeness. Think sponsorship or marketing, not payroll. Just because the starting QB lands a deal that makes him a few bucks doesn't mean the softball team has to have the same. The sticky area will be in recruiting where one team may align things on behalf of players as a luring tool which I disagree with. IMO nothing should change pre-enrollment, only now permitting personal gain by a student from outside sources and not the university directly. Again, we don't know what this will actually look like but thats my .02.
That is exactly what it means. I think it's a great idea and also helps discourage the nasty underbelly of college recruiting. One of the reasons it exists is because student athletes aren't free go and capatlize off of their likeness so shady, under the table deals are made that are much worse for college athletics in the long-term than this.
LUAlum1215 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 6:48 pm The details of this are still unclear, and likely will be for a while, but my understanding is that this is not schools providing a salary to players but is allowing players to profit from their likeness. Think sponsorship or marketing, not payroll. Just because the starting QB lands a deal that makes him a few bucks doesn't mean the softball team has to have the same. The sticky area will be in recruiting where one team may align things on behalf of players as a luring tool which I disagree with. IMO nothing should change pre-enrollment, only now permitting personal gain by a student from outside sources and not the university directly. Again, we don't know what this will actually look like but thats my .02.
This will absolutely play into recruiting. Teams like Alabama will work with local car dealers and business leaders and boosters to make sure their football recruits will be lined up with “endorsement deals”. It will absolutely become part of the recruitment pitches
Purple Haize wrote: October 29th, 2019, 7:08 pm
LUAlum1215 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 6:48 pm The details of this are still unclear, and likely will be for a while, but my understanding is that this is not schools providing a salary to players but is allowing players to profit from their likeness. Think sponsorship or marketing, not payroll. Just because the starting QB lands a deal that makes him a few bucks doesn't mean the softball team has to have the same. The sticky area will be in recruiting where one team may align things on behalf of players as a luring tool which I disagree with. IMO nothing should change pre-enrollment, only now permitting personal gain by a student from outside sources and not the university directly. Again, we don't know what this will actually look like but thats my .02.
This will absolutely play into recruiting. Teams like Alabama will work with local car dealers and business leaders and boosters to make sure their football recruits will be lined up with “endorsement deals”. It will absolutely become part of the recruitment pitches
Good post PH, I agree. Most 5 star recruits will be recruited by boosters, car dealers, lawyers , shoe companies and a stable of rich fans. This will start while they are in high school.
Rogue recruiting will be rampant at big schools and some small ones.
Postman, I just read article you shared. I look no farther than the Chairman of that Board and his college. Ohio State will be biggest benefactor of this new rule. If it comes to fruition. The Buckholes may as well put car dealers logo on their uniforms.
A couple comments in the article are very funny, and are basically lies. I can't quote them right now, but I will later, when I'm on a computer, instead of phone.
If anyone needs a good laugh, here are some comments extracted from NCAA statement on action passed today, in their attempt to destroy college sports.

Maintain priorities of education
Ensure rules are transparent and enforceable
Reaffirm student athletes are students 1st
Protect recruiting environment and prohibit inducements to select, remain at or transfer to a specific institution.
Modify rules to ensure fairness and level playing field.

NCAA will be unable to enforce any of these rules. Look at schools that FBI caught buying basketball players. Only a couple got slammed by NCAA even after assistant coaches were violating NCAA rules by paying players.
LU embeds ads ( made by our film school ) in all online classes and uses each athletic team (to stay title 9 compliant ) and pays them SAG rate per athlete per ad and you have a dual purpose unique approach that could even be somewhat justifiable. Built in 75k eyeballs multiple times per course.
ballcoach15 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 9:21 pm If anyone needs a good laugh, here are some comments extracted from NCAA statement on action passed today, in their attempt to destroy college sports.

Maintain priorities of education
Ensure rules are transparent and enforceable
Reaffirm student athletes are students 1st
Protect recruiting environment and prohibit inducements to select, remain at or transfer to a specific institution.
Modify rules to ensure fairness and level playing field.

NCAA will be unable to enforce any of these rules. Look at schools that FBI caught buying basketball players. Only a couple got slammed by NCAA even after assistant coaches were violating NCAA rules by paying players.
We usually get a good laugh just reading your posts :D
LUDad wrote: October 29th, 2019, 10:25 pm Wonder if it will get to the point where BB schools could buy an extra year or two from their one and dones.
The money won’t be THAT good.
ballcoach15 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 8:04 pm Postman, I just read article you shared. I look no farther than the Chairman of that Board and his college. Ohio State will be biggest benefactor of this new rule. If it comes to fruition. The Buckholes may as well put car dealers logo on their uniforms.
A couple comments in the article are very funny, and are basically lies. I can't quote them right now, but I will later, when I'm on a computer, instead of phone.
So if you read the article then you should now know this isn't about schools paying athletes. It is about allowing them to do what every other American can do, make money off of their likeness.

It takes away the shadiness of the stuff that already is going on that gives the Alabamas and Clemnsons of the world an advantage and puts it all out in the open. The backdoor deals that are done opens things up to the criminal world and that isn't good for college athletics or athletes in the long run.

I can get why people are against schools paying athletes a salary but I have never understood why people are against athletes making money on their own from their hard earned success. It seems, to me, goes against what our economy is all about.

Obviously the schools that are already at an advantage will remain being the ones who benefit from this the most but it certainly won't change college athletics as we know it. It simply will give athletes the opportunity to make some money without having to worry about the NCAA getting involved.
thepostman wrote: October 30th, 2019, 7:19 am
ballcoach15 wrote: October 29th, 2019, 8:04 pm Postman, I just read article you shared. I look no farther than the Chairman of that Board and his college. Ohio State will be biggest benefactor of this new rule. If it comes to fruition. The Buckholes may as well put car dealers logo on their uniforms.
So if you read the article then you should now know this isn't about schools paying athletes. It is about allowing them to do what every other American can do, make money off of their likeness.

It takes away the shadiness of the stuff that already is going on that gives the Alabamas and Clemnsons of the world an advantage and puts it all out in the open. The backdoor deals that are done opens things up to the criminal world and that isn't good for college athletics or athletes in the long run.

I can get why people are against schools paying athletes a salary but I have never understood why people are against athletes making money on their own from their hard earned success. It seems, to me, goes against what our economy is all about.

Obviously the schools that are already at an advantage will remain being the ones who benefit from this the most but it certainly won't change college athletics as we know it. It simply will give athletes the opportunity to make some money without having to worry about the NCAA getting involved.
Reading does not mean Comprehending
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]