If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
310 softball players have entered the portal, (including 2 LU players). As of today, 130 have signed with another school. 180 are still "out there", with no school. SEC had 50 players enter portal, ASUN had 15.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 5th, 2019, 1:14 pm 310 softball players have entered the portal, (including 2 LU players). As of today, 130 have signed with another school. 180 are still "out there", with no school. SEC had 50 players enter portal, ASUN had 15.
Athletes in Spring sports have more time to decide where they want to transfer. A softball player can arrive at their new school in January and still play the next Spring, same as if they transferred in the Fall. All they would miss is one Fall of practices. They also have the option to return if the school still wants them. The vast majority of those players are going to find a landing place.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I would like to think that most players would want to join their new team in the Fall, so they can participate in fall practice and develop chemistry with their new teammates.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I thought the transfer portal did away with the need to get a release. :dontgetit This appears to put that requirement back in return for doing away with the one year "residency" requirement. Personally, I like it the way it is. I think sitting a year is a significant but fair disincentive to transferring which does not take away the athletes freedom to do so, and I don't see why the school they are leaving should have any say in it.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 19th, 2020, 9:27 am I’m for one free transfer. If coaches can leave with no penalty, players should get to as well.
It's this policy for the majority of sports. Frankly the product on the field will be better for it too. So many recruits do not understand the difference in talent level from HS to D1. They're oversold on brand name schools and brought in as depth. Single transfer rule means folks like Malik Willis can get to their Junior year with more than 14 career passes. Playing time matters. Absolutely no one on a top 25 roster wants to ride the bench for 4 years. Penalizing them further for transferring with more bench time isn't helping.

Give me the best players all the time and parity starts to rise. A single transfer rule means more competitive games, and this a better CFB product.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The main reservation I have to this is that it appears to require the athlete has a transfer release from the previous school. If that is basically automatic, fine. I wouldn't want to take a step back to where coaches who are losing a player they really want can play hardball and not grant the release or put a bunch of restrictions on where the player can or cannot go.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Example of why transfer portal is bad.

The Wake Forest QB last season, starts and puts up good numbers. He then transfers to Georgia. No one will ever convince me that Georgia didn't do some backdoor hanky spanky. Kirby Smart realized he had no proven QB.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 12:54 pm Example of why transfer portal is bad.

The Wake Forest QB last season, starts and puts up good numbers. He then transfers to Georgia. No one will ever convince me that Georgia didn't do some backdoor hanky spanky. Kirby Smart realized he had no proven QB.
No comment about LU’s presumptive starter at QB next year?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 12:54 pm Example of why transfer portal is bad.

Newman has GRADUATED from Wake Forest, but has one year of eligibility remaining and is eligible to play immediatly.
He decided to pursue his Master's degree at Georgia and use that year of eligibility at one of the best football programs in the country instead of Wake Forest. There's your "backdoor hanky panky".

I'm sure you are not convinced. You never want to be confused by the facts.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
And lo and behold, Georgia did not have a QB, and the WF QB comes calling, under the disguise of getting a Master's Degree. I will check and see if Wake Forest has a Master's Program ?

And I have some prime beachfront property near Cider's hometown in West Virginia for sale.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm And lo and behold, Georgia did not have a QB, and the WF QB comes calling, under the disguise of getting a Master's Degree. I will check and see if Wake Forest has a Master's Program ?

And I have some prime beachfront property near Cider's hometown in West Virginia for sale.
He's smart. Being QB for Georgia > being QB for Wake. He has his degree from Wake and has every right to better himself.
CCWMichael liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm And lo and behold, Georgia did not have a QB, and the WF QB comes calling, under the disguise of getting a Master's Degree. I will check and see if Wake Forest has a Master's Program ?

But if LU or Bama get a transfer that fills a need it is ok, right? I just want to make sure I am tracking your logic.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 19th, 2020, 4:20 pm

But if LU or Bama get a transfer that fills a need it is ok, right? I just want to make sure I am tracking your logic.
Good question that you already know won’t get a reply from @ballcoach15.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
He also doesn't understand that it's typically a good idea to get an undergrad and a graduate degree from different institutions.

I guess logic doesn't exist in his dojo.
Purple Haize, JK37 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Former LU softball pitcher Braelyn Cooper is now pitching for Randolph College, her 3rd school in 12 months.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts

Hey @ballcoach15 here is the question you're dodging.
adam42381 liked this
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 20th, 2020, 1:25 pm

Hey @ballcoach15 here is the question you're dodging.
You should do this every time he dodges a question.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: February 20th, 2020, 11:51 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm I will check and see if Wake Forest has a Master's Program ?
Of course they have "a Master's Program." So what?
Pretty good medical and law school
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts

Yes

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]