If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If anyone is interested in making the trip across the Pacific, you can now submit your interest for tickets to the 2020 Olympics. And yes, Ballcoach, I did submit my interest for softball:

cosport.com
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Softball is only sport in Olympics that interests me. I lost interest in Olympics when they started allowing Pro athletes to complete. years ago they took away Jim Thorpe's medals in track and field, because he played semi pro baseball for 35.00 a week or month. I forget which it was.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Softball is only sport in Olympics that interests me. I lost interest in Olympics when they started allowing Pro athletes to complete. years ago they took away Jim Thorpe's medals in track and field, because he played semi pro baseball for 35.00 a week or month. I forget which it was.
For someone who brags about reading the papers so much you are woefully uninformed. He had them restored in 1982
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
69 years after they revoked them
29 years after he passed away

Why did it take so long to restore them ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:69 years after they revoked them
29 years after he passed away

Why did it take so long to restore them ?
Great question. But they were eventually restored.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I might be wrong on this, but I want to say they wanted NBA players to play in Olympics, thus they knew the first order of business would be to restore Thorpe's medals. I recall attempts to get them restored well before 1982, with no success.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I might be wrong on this, but I want to say they wanted NBA players to play in Olympics, thus they knew the first order of business would be to restore Thorpe's medals. I recall attempts to get them restored well before 1982, with no success.
You’re last segment is 100% accurate. The rest.....
You could actually try to increase your knowledge base and research the subject. IMO Thorpe is the best all around athlete in us history. Jim Brown would be in the discussion as well
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So let's recap:

The Olympics are bad because they allow professionals to participate

The Olympic committee should have reinstated Thorpe's or never taken away.

BUT paid athletes shouldn't be able go participate in the Olympics.

Did I get it right?

Back on topic, I'd love to spend a few weeks in Japan to watch the games. that would be amazing. Pro athletes and all.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:So let's recap:

The Olympics are bad because they allow professionals to participate

The Olympic committee should have reinstated Thorpe's or never taken away.

BUT paid athletes shouldn't be able go participate in the Olympics.

Did I get it right?

Back on topic, I'd love to spend a few weeks in Japan to watch the games. that would be amazing. Pro athletes and all.
We had a wild hair and thought about going to the London Olympics for a few days. But we are crazy kids. We’d go to all the events you only see every four years but become an instant expert on like Team Handball or Badminton. Maybe the Trampoline. I mean the T and F events will be packed. Everyone wants to see swimming diving and Hoops so why not see something you can’t always see?
As for Japan? Hard pass.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
We've been considering a trip to Tokyo in general. I think it would be fun.

We're considering heading to Beijing for the 2022 Winter Olympics with maybe a stopover in Tokyo for fun.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Softball is only sport in Olympics that interests me. I lost interest in Olympics when they started allowing Pro athletes to complete.
Professional basketball players were playing in the Olympics long before NBA players could. It's one big reason why many Euro stars never played in the NBA or only played in the twilight years of the end of their career.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]