If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I did follow the case and the school I expect to receive the hammer next is in the middle of the country. The 2-year suspension was a shot across the bow and the pirates from Indy are ready to seize the ship full of rocks and chalk,.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I did follow the case and the school I expect to receive the hammer next is in the middle of the country. The 2-year suspension was a shot across the bow and the pirates from Indy are ready to seize the ship full of rocks and chalk,.
Haven't heard about that one. Heard some very interesting stories from two or 3 different sources (read recruits) who turned money back in that was left on their doorstep to a school with a former UL coach on staff. on multiple occasions.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Because every hoops phenom from urban areas just wants to wear blue and be surrounded by hillbillies (I use the term affectionately). I'm sure it is all on the up & up.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
wrong color and state lol. but those who don't know how dark the college basketball recruiting process has gotten especially in the ACC are sheep among wolves. ;)
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Has NCAA punished any of the schools caught by FBI yet ? I have lost track
No. Actually, most of the cases have not gone to court yet. The ones that have and were convicted are currently being followed up with NCAA investigations. It will probably be this Summer before they are completed. The wheels move slowly on these things. Always have.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And the NCAA doesn’t want to jump too soon. Let the FBI finish their case, then swoop in at the end. It’s smart, because NCAA doesn’t have subpoena power. They can ride FBI’s coattails here and get all the info they need for relatively little work.
By LUDad
I believe the issue between cheating and non-pay, to an extent, go hand in hand. Universities recruit players who NEVER would have been able to get into most 4 year colleges were not for their athletic abilities. Thus, the need to cheat to keep them around...If they were paid in some form or the other you can quit the hypocrisy of declaring them student athletes and give them all the academic help they need...simply set guidelines for them such as class attendance, progress, etc (except for GPA). Or, set up a community college type program within the university that provides job skills. To those who say the degree is payment, it is not in that most of these athletics who now need to cheat will never graduate anyway.

Edit: As an aside, you could provide have a two-tier system where they can decide if they want pay or the degree program...
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't often take up for NCAA, because of their weak leadership at NCAA Headquarters, and their selective enforcement of their own rules, but................

When schools start opting out of NCAA, that will be the end of college sports, and maybe high school sports. Some players will start getting paid and bribed in middle school. Colleges should not become professional teams.
College sports should be about playing the sport and trying to win a championship. If opt outing, starts, where do you draw the line, between the athletic departments and the schools ? lot of things to look at, i.e. state funding, Title IX, etc. etc, etc, etc.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I don't often take up for NCAA, because of their weak leadership at NCAA Headquarters, and their selective enforcement of their own rules, but................

When schools start opting out of NCAA, that will be the end of college sports, and maybe high school sports. Some players will start getting paid and bribed in middle school. Colleges should not become professional teams.
College sports should be about playing the sport and trying to win a championship. If opt outing, starts, where do you draw the line, between the athletic departments and the schools ? lot of things to look at, i.e. state funding, Title IX, etc. etc, etc, etc.
Why shouldn’t they become professional teams? Why shouldn’t players be paid? I’m honestly asking your opinion. Don’t just tell me “what”, tell us all “why”?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Why: Because college athletes are students first. Now granted some go to school just to play sports. But they are still a student.
If the QB gets paid. The center snapping him the ball will have to be paid. The left fielder on baseball team will have to get paid, along with PG on basketball team. On and on it goes. Some schools are barely above the red line now. If players were to be paid, the big rich schools like Texas and Ohio State will dominate, because they will buy recruits. Anyone who works at NCAA school or for NCAA, who advocates paying athletes above the COA in place now, should be fired. I could write a book about why it's wrong to pay college athletes, but I not have time.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
And another thing. I didn't like this Power 5 conference stuff when it came about. Every school should have opportunity at national championship, regardless of conference. Don't separate the big schools from small schools.
I was glad when coastal Carolina won baseball championship several years ago, by beating the big boys.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Why: Because college athletes are students first. Now granted some go to school just to play sports. But they are still a student.
If the QB gets paid. The center snapping him the ball will have to be paid. The left fielder on baseball team will have to get paid, along with PG on basketball team. On and on it goes. Some schools are barely above the red line now. If players were to be paid, the big rich schools like Texas and Ohio State will dominate, because they will buy recruits. Anyone who works at NCAA school or for NCAA, who advocates paying athletes above the COA in place now, should be fired. I could write a book about why it's wrong to pay college athletes, but I not have time.
That’s why you would have schools that would leave the NCAA and those who would stay. If they can afford to pay the QB and back up setter then why not? If they can’t, then they can stay. What’s the addage? If you can’t run with the big dogs stay on the porch
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I still don't understand ballcoach's stance on this. Why shouldn't the big money schools, if they decide to, not be able to create their own collegiate sports association?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I still don't understand ballcoach's stance on this. Why shouldn't the big money schools, if they decide to, not be able to create their own collegiate sports association?
It would in essence create a 4th Division. Right now you don’t have D3 schools competing with D1 schools. And the reason most schools are D3 is$$$
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
College athletes should not be paid. College is not professional ball. I can't understand why some think they should, when it will destroy college athletics.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:College athletes should not be paid. College is not professional ball. I can't understand why some think they should, when it will destroy college athletics.
They are getting their tuition room board books and now Cost of Attendance paid. The student who is majoring in Theology and coming from Topeka isn’t having any of that paid.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:College athletes should not be paid. College is not professional ball. I can't understand why some think they should, when it will destroy college athletics.
That is your opinion, but if colleges choose to go that route they should be free to do so.

Do you believe that colleges should not be allowed to form their own association, independent from the NCAA?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
No, schools should not form their own association All schools should remain in NCAA to maintain some form of integrity and level playing field. Does NCAA have problems ? Yes, but with proper leadership, they can be fixed.

If some money schools were to break away, and form their own association, what happens when some school wants to come crawling back to NCAA ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Do NAIA or NCCAA schools not have integrity or a level playing field?
Do you think he knows NCAA D3 schools don’t provide scholarships?
Does the Ivy League provide scholarships?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:No, schools should not form their own association All schools should remain in NCAA to maintain some form of integrity and level playing field. Does NCAA have problems ? Yes, but with proper leadership, they can be fixed.

If some money schools were to break away, and form their own association, what happens when some school wants to come crawling back to NCAA ?
That would be something that the NCAA would have to figure out.

So, you believe it should be illegal for schools to break away?

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]