If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read somewhere that Riley Lincoln may be guilty of tampering. In that he sent signals to Hurts, during a press conference, before he entered the transfer portal. I hope this is investigated .
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I read somewhere that Riley Lincoln may be guilty of tampering. In that he sent signals to Hurts, during a press conference, before he entered the transfer portal. I hope this is investigated .
Who is Riley Lincoln? And what signals did he send ? Smoke? Morse code? Either way I don’t think it worked because he didn’t end up at any school coached by Riley Lincoln
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I hope the Okies go 0-12. Oklahoma can't recruit high school QBs, they recruit from other schools.
I guess 5 star recruit Spencer Rattler, who is rated by most as the top QB in the class of 2019, didn't get the message. He signed with Oklahoma. With Hurt coming, there is a good chance he will redshirt this year, but there should be an open competition first.

Hurts did not require any "tampering" to decide to transfer. He would have been a fool not to. There are millions of dollars at stake for him personally depending on how high he is drafted. He literally could not afford to spend another year sitting on the bench waiting for Tua to get hurt.

If accepting transfers is a reason to wish a team would lose all their games, I guess you need to start pulling for LU to go 0-12 too. We will likely have 2 in the starting offense next season.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
tate to miami. i'm serious, when i said the ncaa loves this i meant it. if they give justin instant eligiblility it create a NCAA free agency pool each year that will rival professional sports and anyone who makes money off of college football will love it. Meanwhile those who think the playoff system shouldn't exist, that smelling salts is the cure for concussions, and is livid when someone skips a bowl game are already complaining so might as well add 1 more can o gasoline.
By CCWMichael
Sly Fox wrote:Boooooooooooo!

The is a crime against humanity when a Texan with talent joins the Land Thieves.
Being an OU fan I was going to jump in with some banter. I googled land thieves Oklahoma and OU football came up .. Kinda funny.
OU was my one semester trial till transferring to a lower level school.
Switzer, Mack Brown, and Gibbs were the coaches at that time.

But to point --- even Texans know where good football is located 8)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I like you more that you survived the streets of Norman stained with the tears of Native Americans being unjustly treated. I'm glad you finally saw the light of Liberty!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
when someone skips a bowl game are already complaining so might as well add 1 more can o gasoline.
One thing that has puzzled me, is NFL teams interview players prior to draft at Combines, etc. They try to judge their mental makeup, etc. When a player bails out on his team prior to a bowl game, what type of message does that send a NFL team, about a player being a "team player" ? No matter how good a player is, if he bails on his team, that would send up a red flag.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:
when someone skips a bowl game are already complaining so might as well add 1 more can o gasoline.
One thing that has puzzled me, is NFL teams interview players prior to draft at Combines, etc. They try to judge their mental makeup, etc. When a player bails out on his team prior to a bowl game, what type of message does that send a NFL team, about a player being a "team player" ? No matter how good a player is, if he bails on his team, that would send up a red flag.
Or that a player is goal oriented and is willing to put his passion for the game to the side to make sure that he is ABLE to contribute to an NFL roster. Is setting aside the benefit of seeing an old goal come to fruition to enable yourself to reach a higher goal a bad thing? Perspective matters.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:

If they are good very slight difference. Unless you smoke a bong and post it, beat a girl, have a DUI, fighting ... they still make minor differences. There are personality things that can reduce stock but the team will invest in resources in an attempt to steer the young lad in the right direction.
Heck, there are some mouths on TV that bare debating in Zion should sit at Duke and protect himself.
Personally, I would not sit but that is just me. The memory of a bowl game and participation would do it for me. But then again, I don't even have arena football talent.
NFL wants talent ... period.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:This is why they sit out. Jaylon Smith was projected as a top 10 pick before he obliterated his knee.

Leonard Floyd was drafted the same year at the same position.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bea ... oyd-18957/

$15,782,861

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowb ... ith-18982/

$6,494,970

Playing in a bowl game cost Jaylon Smith millions.
But he should be willing to make that sacrifice to show he’s a team player!!!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It is very easy to be critical of a young kid who could potentially give up making millions when you haven't ever been remotely close to making those kinds of decisions.

I certainly understand why players do it.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That is also assuming that had he sat out the bowl game, he would have ended up being drafted in the same position and been offered the same or a comparable deal. What if he had sat out, then dropped like a stone like Aaron Rodgers did?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:

If they are good very slight difference. Unless you smoke a bong and post it, beat a girl, have a DUI, fighting ... they still make minor differences. There are personality things that can reduce stock but the team will invest in resources in an attempt to steer the young lad in the right direction.
Heck, there are some mouths on TV that bare debating in Zion should sit at Duke and protect himself.
Personally, I would not sit but that is just me. The memory of a bowl game and participation would do it for me. But then again, I don't even have arena football talent.
NFL wants talent ... period.
The guy who smoked a bong and posted it is now an NFL all-pro, but it certainly did cost him big bucks with his initial contract.
By Class of 20Something
BJWilliams wrote:That is also assuming that had he sat out the bowl game, he would have ended up being drafted in the same position and been offered the same or a comparable deal. What if he had sat out, then dropped like a stone like Aaron Rodgers did?
Aaron Rodgers was still taken in the first at #24 overall. Closest comparable LB in the 2016 class was Darron Lee at #20.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-je ... lee-18968/

$10,221,648

Still a $4M difference.
By LU 57
Class of 20Something wrote:This is why they sit out. Jaylon Smith was projected as a top 10 pick before he obliterated his knee.

Leonard Floyd was drafted the same year at the same position.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bea ... oyd-18957/

$15,782,861

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowb ... ith-18982/

$6,494,970

Playing in a bowl game cost Jaylon Smith millions.
This made me think of Willis McGahee, who blew his knee out in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. But when I looked it up I saw he went #23 even with the devastating knee injury -he was projected top 10. Clearly, I understand why players sit out, but as a fan I wish they did not.

A happy medium is an insurance policy like the one McGahee took out:

http://www.espn.com/sportsbusiness/news ... 88252.html
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
He'd of dropped anyway. Aaron rogers played in his bowl game and still dropped to 24. what a horrible example. its very clear that using a meaningless bowl game as some barometer of a players ability is a horrible way to choose players.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]