If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Over recruiting is a huge issue with baseball. It has been done at lu as well under toman and royer. Not sure how jackson handles. I get it but its all in how its communicated. As long as the player knows theyre one of the last guys then its fair but i would say most coaches arent that upfront from my experience and friends of mine.

Transfer wise. I dont know how you ever balance the coach leaving without penalty and the player leaving without penalty unless you just make it wide open that any player can transfer after a coaching change and not sit. Then the school gets screwed and in some situations goes into complete dumpster fire mode.

Second, the argument could be made that sitting out a year (assuming school is paid by school isnt a penalty at all for most athletes, especially athletes with no shot at being professionals that earn income from the sport. Those actually get another year of schooling that if they are wise and diligent they would get a free year of a masters degree started. I know most athletes dont see it that way and i get that mentality but it doesnt necessarily make it less true.

Its a complex issue with a wide array of reasons that would be impossible to ever make an all encompassing policy.
Good comments jinny.

I think many softball players transfer due to lack of responsibility and maturity. If a player is mired on end of bench, that's one thing, but when a player is All Conference or even All American, it doesn't add up. And many athletes have problems with loyalty.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
All-Americans get homesick, too.

“Things don’t add up.” - Math is constant. Your perspective is constant to you. Every case is different.

Student-athletes should be free to go to the college they wish, to play where they wish - if they have the opportunity given to them. Freedom is freedom. If you’re not on board with that, get out of America.
JK37 wrote: June 29th, 2019, 5:10 pm All-Americans get homesick, too.

“Things don’t add up.” - Math is constant. Your perspective is constant to you. Every case is different.

Student-athletes should be free to go to the college they wish, to play where they wish - if they have the opportunity given to them. Freedom is freedom. If you’re not on board with that, get out of America.
Well he’s a Liberal so.... I saw a Sander/Warren 2020 bumper sticker on his truck at Hardee’s the other day
ballcoach15 wrote: June 29th, 2019, 4:58 pm Good comments jinny.

I think many softball players transfer due to lack of responsibility and maturity. If a player is mired on end of bench, that's one thing, but when a player is All Conference or even All American, it doesn't add up. And many athletes have problems with loyalty.
I know I have asked you this before, but why should coaches be free to come and go as they wish but not the athletes?
thepostman wrote: June 29th, 2019, 6:21 pm

I know I have asked you this before, but why should coaches be free to come and go as they wish but not the athletes?
That's hard to answer. Coaches come and go continuously , but when a student signs with a college, it should be a 4 year commitment . Jumping teams is not good for the sport.

Purple, next time you see my truck, get a photo of the bumper sticker, and post it on here.
ballcoach15 wrote: June 29th, 2019, 7:02 pm

That's hard to answer. Coaches come and go continuously , but when a student signs with a college, it should be a 4 year commitment . Jumping teams is not good for the sport.

Purple, next time you see my truck, get a photo of the bumper sticker, and post it on here.
But what about when a Coach signs with a school?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 29th, 2019, 7:12 pm Coaches contracts are broken most every day, either by coach or school, granted there is always $$$$$$ involved.
So, coaches may move whenever because it happens most every day.

Does that mean if transferring happened MORE, you would become OK with it?

Coaches moving is OK because there is $$$$$$ involved. And there is $$$$$ involved between student-athletes and colleges in the form of scholarships. So on that basis, too, student-athletes should be free to transfer. Right?
I'm guessing because more money is involved with coaches so it is ok? I don't pretend to understand ballcoach logic. If he is going to be consistant then shouldn't coaches be held to a higher standard?
ballcoach15 wrote: June 29th, 2019, 7:02 pm

So, you are saying it's OK for coaches to move, even if they have years left on a long-term contract, because it happens all the time. Meanwhile players, who sign a ONE YEAR scholarship agreement, should be "commited" to stay 4 (or 5 if they redshirt.) Right. :roll:

"The sport" is not suffering as a whole because of transfers. Occasionally individual schools have gotten hit hard, but in many of those cases they brought it on themselves. Overall, the ability of players to have the freedom to go somewhere they will fit in better and be happier benefits everyone.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: July 8th, 2019, 8:46 am I now see that JMU is recruiting players from VMI. they signed VMI's best WR. But he has to sit out a year.
How do you know the WR didn’t contact JMU first? I was a D-I college coach for 12 years. Happens a lot.
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Congress, and everything else in D.C., is a corpor[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]