If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

JK37 wrote:BC,

You claim the schools are the proof. What we want to see is the proof that the schools you listed have actually done this.

I’ll wait...
Hope you brought something to pass the time
thepostman wrote:But where is your proof? Was there an investigation that provided evidence? Surely there must have been for you to speak on something so matter of factly!
Facts don’t matter to Liberals
ballcoach15 wrote:Postman, you should just carry the mail, and PH stick to Girl's Basketball.
Pivot and deflect. Try to attack the messenger when cornered. I think there are all in Saul Olinsky’s Rules For Radicals that Bill Ayers and Barack Obama followed
ballcoach15 wrote:Oklahoma, Miami and Buck Holes picked up (recruited) a QB, and UVA got 2 WRs.

case closed
Since LU got Transfers would you put them on that list?
thepostman wrote:No way, LU and Virginia Tech (and any other school that strikes BC's fancy) are the exception to the rule! Keep up man.
Some Animals are more equal than others
alabama24 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:See:

Oklahoma
Ohio State
Miami
Virginia
You forgot one:

Alabama
And Liberty
Reference the NCAA Transfer Portal, I saw last night that Alabama Softball is getting a transfer from Oregon, who transferred from South Carolina to Oregon. She will have played for 3 schools in her 4 years.
I am glad she choose Alabama, instead of some lesser school, but this is a good example of why NCAA needs to change their rules and limit transfers.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm Reference the NCAA Transfer Portal, I saw last night that Alabama Softball is getting a transfer from Oregon, who transferred from South Carolina to Oregon. She will have played for 3 schools in her 4 years.
I am glad she choose Alabama, instead of some lesser school, but this is a good example of why NCAA needs to change their rules and limit transfers.
News flash. Playing for 3 different schools over a 4 year career is no longer unusual. You really need to get used to it, because if anything, transfer rules are going to be getting LESS restrictive in the coming years.

The hypocrisy of your being OK with this because she ended up at a school you like would be funny if it wasn't so sad. You criticize schools like OSU and Oklahoma for "recruiting" transfers, but have no problem when it's Bama or Liberty.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2019, 7:51 am
JK37 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 8:41 pm What’s her story? Why is she transferring?
Her tweet said she has been accepted into Master's Degree Program at Alabama.
No way of knowing for sure, but more than likely Oregon has a comparable Master's program. She probably wasn't playing as much as she wanted to for the Ducks.
oldflame wrote: June 21st, 2019, 10:42 am
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2019, 7:51 am
JK37 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 8:41 pm What’s her story? Why is she transferring?
Her tweet said she has been accepted into Master's Degree Program at Alabama.
No way of knowing for sure, but more than likely Oregon has a comparable Master's program. She probably wasn't playing as much as she wanted to for the Ducks.
Alexis Mack was all PAC-12 her two years there and was their lead off hitter. It was not an issue with playing time. Read the articles I shared above.
oldflame wrote: June 21st, 2019, 10:36 am
ballcoach15 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:01 pm Reference the NCAA Transfer Portal, I saw last night that Alabama Softball is getting a transfer from Oregon, who transferred from South Carolina to Oregon. She will have played for 3 schools in her 4 years.
News flash. Playing for 3 different schools over a 4 year career is no longer unusual. You really need to get used to it, because if anything, transfer rules are going to be getting LESS restrictive in the coming years.

The hypocrisy of your being OK with this because she ended up at a school you like would be funny if it wasn't so sad. You criticize schools like OSU and Oklahoma for "recruiting" transfers, but have no problem when it's Bama or Liberty.
When any college player plays for 3 different schools, there is a problem someplace. The way it's supposed to work is, sign with a school, play 4 seasons, get degree, and move on with life.
I expect the NCAA to make it tougher to transfer in the near future. It's becoming a mockery in some places. I think it's just a matter of time before rogue schools start "paying" players to transfer.
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2019, 4:09 pm
oldflame wrote: June 21st, 2019, 10:36 am

When any college player plays for 3 different schools, there is a problem someplace. The way it's supposed to work is, sign with a school, play 4 seasons, get degree, and move on with life.
I expect the NCAA to make it tougher to transfer in the near future. It's becoming a mockery in some places. I think it's just a matter of time before rogue schools start "paying" players to transfer.
The statement highlighted is wishful thinking, pure and simple, and indicates how truly out of touch with the current reality you are. It is more likely that all penalties for transfer will be done away with in the next few years than it is there will be a "crack down" as you like to call it.

Your idea on how things are "supposed to work" was semi-valid 30 years ago. It is no longer that way. Get used to it.
I wanted to comment on this thread because I feel I have some insight that may be helpful for people to understand the fact there are more than a few categories of transfers out there and so with the large amount of varying reasons for athletes to transfer and why it is so difficult for the NCAA to make over arching rules and regulations. When it all comes down to it, it really should be case by case and the NCAA doesn't want to or have the ability to investigate every single transfer.
Example 1&2 : The family transfer/Injury Transfer. I had a player transfer out of our program because he was hurt early in his freshman year and never got the chance to prove himself when he came back from injury. Buried in the depth chart he transferred to a smaller school (still D1A) sat out a year and then had a successful season there. That summer of his Red shirt Sophomore year his mom got very sick and needed a bone marrow transplant. Wanting to be back with his mom and not caring about playing time, He petitioned the NCAA to transfer back to our program and be eligible to play immediately and to be closer to his mom. The NCAA allowed it and when he got the news in fall ball this year it was one of my favorite moments of our season. He had worked his rear off in fall ball to move up the depth chart and if the NCAA approved he would be eligible to play for us this past spring. He got the news on one of the last days in fall ball and the whole team celebrated with him. His mom's treatment worked and she was able to make it to a lot of his home games. He even won a starting position (taking the opportunity he was given) and never looked back. ended up batting over .325 and was one of our most consistent defenders. This example is very unique but not so unique that the rules had to be bent.
Example 3: Over recruiting. This mostly happens in sports with partial scholarships which is why I believe we can't have over arching regulations about transfers. Coaches over recruit their scholarship dollars every year because they never know a year ahead of time what the draft is going to do to their rosters. When you over recruit and wind up with too many players on their rosters. Players fall through the cracks or they have turned down other schools who fill their spots and then are left hung out to dry. it happens a lot more than you'd think. these players who were good enough to be on scholarship somewhere may have to play a year with no scholarship and then transfer somewhere else.
Example 4: The I'm not good enough to start here transfer. THIS is the one most people have a problem with. players come into school being promised by coaches that they are good enough to start at said school when sometimes that isn't the case. when a kid comes in like justin fields who IS good enough to start at a p5 and then does'nt hack it. THey want to leave. Justin had a good enough excuse to get past the big bad NCAA with it. mainly because the NCAA didn't want to deal with yet another PR nightmare.
Example 5: The most common transfer the homesick transfer. one where a player just can't hack the college life away from home. sometimes determining this can be difficult because it sometimes appears to be more like an example #4.
Example 6: The I'm good but not good enough for Top Teir competition. This one is super common. transfer down level and finish your college career immediately in FCS,DII etc.

Part of the problem with transfers are the coaches. Coaches who build relationships with these kids and then leave for more $ are not punished so why should the kids? If you recruit a kid and then leave shouldn't he be allowed to go somewhere else? This can be Example 7.
Things are going to continue to get more relaxed with transfers. unfortunately that means that coaches from other programs ARE recruiting from other programs. and thats making things worse. even worse still parents on behalf of these athletes are reaching out and risking their kids eligibility by seeing if their kid can play somewhere else cause little johnny isn't starting somewhere. then you have the $ bag dropping going on in football and basketball its just a mess and impossible to police. Just my 2 cents. sorry for the rant.
Excellent post filmsguy. Based on chatter I hear from coaches, I think NCAA will tighten up on transfers. It's almost getting to be comical, especially in softball. And coaches will start recruiting from other teams. (it's probably happening now). I see transfers that make no sense on the surface.
The way players "come and go" at Oregon, they must have a transfer counter set up at Wal-Mart.

The most puzzling thing is, Player A will transfer and play immediately. Player B will transfer and have to sit out a year.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]