If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I’m not a big fan of expanding the playoffs to 8, but a few ideas for discussion. The first is obviously not original with me. The other two I have not heard discussed before.

1) Add two more teams and have a “play in” for the 3&4th spot.

2) Utilize some form of public voting to assist with the selection of 5&6. Perhaps it would be a vote between those ranked 5-10.

3) Allow the selection committee to choose the season opener games for teams 1-4 in the final rankings. This would help teams like UCF to get a chance to play the better teams, and also (hopefully) preventing a stinker like BAMA vs. Louisville (which looked good when originally scheduled)..

I know that there are challenges to these, especially for #3, but I think they can be overcome. What do y’all think?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Big shock that an SEC fan doesn't want to make it a real playoff. :roll:
Whatever. I’m talking about adding two teams and getting fresh blood into the playoffs. What do you think about these ideas?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
8 team playoff is a non starter. I don’t care if y’all like it, or if it will happen or not. I’m thinking outside of the box for those who don’t want an 8 team playoff.
Class of 20Something wrote: allows P5 auto bids
Which PAC-12 team deserves to get in? (None!)
Which Big-10 team deserves to get in? (Probably none!)
Notre Dame should be forced into a conference to get in.

(Sheesh, I sound like Ballcoach :lol: )
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Heaven forbid we hurt your SEC...

an 8 team playoff has always been what makes the most sense but since that is a non-starter for you I guess you don't really want to have a real discussion.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
8 teams.

Having 78 teams be able to make a 'bowl' has diluted the process anyway. We care about the top of the pecking order. Take a few of those New Year Six games and give them more meaning. Let them all matter more.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
16-Team Playoff is where we need to land. Yeah, I know. But if three other divisions can manage to pull it off with hardly any resources then I think FBS could find a way.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I've mentioned this a couple times throughout the history of Firehouse/Flamefans/Flames Nation/ASOR, but i would like a 16 team playoff: 10 auto (all P5 and G5 champions) and 6 at large. Seed according to combination of CFP and FPI Rankings. Here's how the 10 autos would have ranked:

1. Alabama (SEC Champion)
2. Clemson (ACC Champion)
3. Ohio State (Big Ten Champion)
4. Oklahoma (Big 12 Champion)
5. Washington (Pac 12 Champion)
6. UCF (American Champion)
7. Fresno State (Mountain West Champion)
8. Appalachian State (Sun Belt Champion)
9. UAB (C-USA Champion)
10. Northern Illinois (MAC Champion)

That isn't necessarily how they would seed but you'd probably have a couple P5s on the road in round 1.

Also, having almost a third of FBS in a bowl game is ridiculous. Cut about 10-15 bowl games and put the payouts from those games into a single pool with teams getting payouts based on where they finish.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
16 teams is overkill...

8 teams makes the most sense. It at least give the G5 conferences a chance to have a representative and doesn't favor one conference like the SEC like the current system does.

I love March madness but I don't want the football playoff to be watered down. 8 teams is what makes the most sense.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
If FCS, D2, D3, NAIA and junior colleges can make it work with much larger fields, I'm sure FBS can swallow whatever egos they have and make a 16 team work while still maintaining the bowl system (only not as bloated)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Just because a team wins conference championship doesn't mean that team is one of 8 best teams in nation, or even 12 best

I say take ACC champion and top 3 from SEC, and play ball.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Just because a team wins conference championship doesn't mean that team is one of 8 best teams in nation, or even 12 best

I say take ACC champion and top 3 from SEC, and play ball.
Are you saying Ohio State and Oklahoma are not one of the top 6-12 teams in the country?
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
someone post the Leach video. Do away with the tiny bowls. make the other bowls playoff games. or just do away bowls all together and just do what everyone else is doing.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Keep bowl games. Gives every team a goal to shoot for. (Even if it's the Belk Bowl)
Because everybody deserves a participation trophy! :roll:
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
I hate the idea that you can finish .500 including beating a team with fewer scholarship players and you get to feel amazing because you get to play one more meaningless game in mid-December. Seems odd.

Run a large playoff and drop the made-up bowls.
By CCWMichael
TallyW wrote:I hate the idea that you can finish .500 including beating a team with fewer scholarship players and you get to feel amazing because you get to play one more meaningless game in mid-December. Seems odd.

Run a large playoff and drop the made-up bowls.
I would go with that. Paterno wanted that since the 70's.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Bowls provide opportunity for a short winter vacation, mostly to southern states. Bowl games are good road trips. I have been to bowl games in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Maryland. Almost went to El Paso.

Not to mention they have become a tradition for college football.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]