If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Can we imagine giving a .500 softball team a trip to Florida for a week? It's a ridiculous double standard. How about the bowl game for the women's soccer team? "Congratulations, you were mediocre! Let's go to Disney World!"
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
You have .500 and under teams in the postseason on the regular on other sports, the thing is those teams earned their way in through conference championships. Football is the only sport where you can be in the postseason simply by...being mediocre
By BlueBlood
I vote 8. Every conference champ plus 3 at-large (with preference for one spot given to highest IND or G5, but not guaranteed). 8 lets you keep the bowl games mostly intact. I say this while wearing both my old Penn State hat and my new Liberty hat (daughter is going next year).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If go to 8, I say pick best 8 teams, regardless of conference.

Here is something some may not know:

Oklahoma made it in as 4 seed. On the selection committee were Okalhoma Athletic Director, an Oklahoma assistant coaches father, and the President of College Football Playoff has a degree from Oklahoma . Georgia should have been 4 seed.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
They'd never run that Alabama/Georgia game back that quickly. OU works.

I still want more teams. At least 8.
See: March Madness & every other NCAA division.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Because!
I’m still trying to figure out how being ranked 11 moakes you one of the 8 best teams :dontgetit
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Actually Georgia should have gotten in as 3 seed, and bumped ND to 4. Alabama, Clemson and ND were in, leaving a 4th team to be selected, which should have been Georgia, not the Okies.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Actually Georgia should have gotten in as 3 seed, and bumped ND to 4. Alabama, Clemson and ND were in, leaving a 4th team to be selected, which should have been Georgia, not the Okies.
Why?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If go to 8, I say pick best 8 teams, regardless of conference.

Here is something some may not know:

Oklahoma made it in as 4 seed. On the selection committee were Okalhoma Athletic Director, an Oklahoma assistant coaches father, and the President of College Football Playoff has a degree from Oklahoma . Georgia should have been 4 seed.
And how many of those guys recused themselves from the selection process?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
TallyW wrote: See: March Madness
March Madness stinks. This isn't something where everyone gets a participation trophy. It's football! :lol: :football

(As for March Madness, I know I am in the minority. It is an awful system though. There should be MANY fewer teams and play multiple games against opponents. In College Basketball there is absolutely NO compelling reason to even play a regular season. Just forfeit every game and wait for your conference tournament. See Liberty, circa 2013 :lol: )
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Actually Georgia should have gotten in as 3 seed, and bumped ND to 4. Alabama, Clemson and ND were in, leaving a 4th team to be selected, which should have been Georgia, not the Okies.
Explain in what delusionally God forsaken universe is a 2 loss Georgia who lost their conference title game (LOST mind you) seeded higher than an undefeated Notre Dame and bumps out a 1 loss Oklahoma squad that clearly avenged that one loss in tbe conference championship game
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ND played a weaker schedule than all other teams in the hunt for a playoff sport, plus they did not play in a conference championship game like Alabama, Clemson and Georgia. ND only got in because they "won one for the Gipper years ago.

Truth be known, Georgia and the Okies should probably have gotten in before ND.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Explain in what delusionally God forsaken universe is a 2 loss Georgia who lost their conference title game (LOST mind you) seeded higher than an undefeated Notre Dame and bumps out a 1 loss Oklahoma squad that clearly avenged that one loss in tbe conference championship game
Play with me for a moment. Consider these (admittedly flawed) points:

1. The "better" team always wins the game.
2. The 13 "best" teams all play one another, and only one another, during the "regular" season.

If those two things are true (I don't think they are, but #1 is true more often than not), then you would have one team 12-0 and another team 0-12, with every possible record in between. In the post season if the 0-12 team played the 12-0 team from a DIFFERENT league, the 0-12 team would win. (Again, because the "best" teams were all playing one another. The second 12-0 team wasn't one of the 12 "best").

When you are evaluating the "best" teams, the W-L record is only one criterion.

I think the SEC is the best conference. I think that there is good football in other conferences too... but not like the SEC. I think GA would beat ND and/or Oklahoma. Because of that, I would say that GA is better than either and could legitimately deserve a spot in the playoffs. I don't think it is outrageous that they were left out, however. A good case can be made for both ND & Oklahoma over GA.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t think a good case can be made for ND over UGA. GA may be stronger, but the fact remains that ND went undefeated against a schedule that was strong enough. That LSU loss hurts GA’s resume against an UNDEFEATED Notre Dame. And I absolutely HATE the Golden Domers.

Oklahoma avenged their one loss.

I do think a 1-loss UGA gets in. But 2-loss UGA can’t get in over undefeated ND. And OK barely squeaks by because they avenged their lone loss.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I don’t think a good case can be made for ND over UGA.
I don't think that means what you think it means. :lol: (You mean UGA over ND)
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach you literally have zero credibility in regards to college athletics. Until you admit that the schools related to the SEC is about as shady as they come your opinion will mean absolutely nothing around here.
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote:Georgia would beat Notre Dame by 14 points. Probably more.
While that may be true, their resume wasn’t as strong as Oklahoma’s which is why they didn’t get in.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
TallyW wrote: See: March Madness
March Madness stinks. This isn't something where everyone gets a participation trophy. It's football! :lol: :football

(As for March Madness, I know I am in the minority. It is an awful system though. There should be MANY fewer teams and play multiple games against opponents. In College Basketball there is absolutely NO compelling reason to even play a regular season. Just forfeit every game and wait for your conference tournament. See Liberty, circa 2013 :lol: )

That was the carrot being dangled around about going FBS. "You get to go to a bowl game.". That's about as much of a participation trophy as one could get.

March Madness is 68 teams while Bowl season for FBS is 80. There are 347 D1 basketball teams. There are 130 FBS teams.

Basketball: 68/347= .195
Football: 80/130= .615

So you think 19.5% of teams getting in is a participation trophy but 61.5% getting in is a hard-fought victory? Okay. :dontgetit
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:ballcoach you literally have zero credibility in regards to college athletics. Until you admit that the schools related to the SEC is about as shady as they come your opinion will mean absolutely nothing around here.

Postman: I am very knowledgable in college athletics, probably more than most.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the correction.

You know, when the selection became a human committee, it was supposed to eliminate the “resume” talk. Give me the best four teams. Bunch of wimps.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]