If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Former Brookville softball pitcher transfers from Virginia Tech to Oregon.

NCAA needs to crack down on transfers, in my opinion. Too many of them happening.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:Former Brookville softball pitcher transfers from Virginia Tech to Oregon.

NCAA needs to crack down on transfers, in my opinion. Too many of them happening.
Players are civilians. They have the right to play where they want to. They are not property of the school. They are sufficiently penalized by sitting out a season.

For someone that fought for liberty, your way of thinking is diametrically opposed to individual liberty.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Former Brookville softball pitcher transfers from Virginia Tech to Oregon.

Players are civilians. They have the right to play where they want to. They are not property of the school. They are sufficiently penalized by sitting out a season.

For someone that fought for liberty, your way of thinking is diametrically opposed to individual liberty.
He’s a Left Wing Whacko :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

You’ve never said why you feel this way.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If my memory is correct, softball players don't have to sit a year.

I believe there is unethical and illegal recruiting taking place with some of transfers.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If my memory is correct, softball players don't have to sit a year.

I believe there is unethical and illegal recruiting taking place with some of transfers.
What about traditional recruits?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Ballcoach’s opinion on transfers is a lot more severe than mine. Nevertheless, his views on NCAA rules related to amateur athletics shouldn’t in any way be compared, correlated, or conflated with political beliefs about his country. And certainly not in the context of his military service.
You missed the context of the running joke
By Class of 20Something
I wasn't kidding at all. I think it takes cognitive dissonance and a general lack of continuity of mind to believe that under the current NCAA structure that student athletes don't have the right to play at the school of their choosing(assuming acceptance.) no matter how corrupt ballcoach15 thinks the transfer program is, any student athlete transferring still needs a transfer release from their previous school. If a school believes there is wrong doing, simply deny the transfer and report it to the NCAA.

Juxtaposing the two trains of thought serves the purpose of establishing a already predetermined line of thinking and why it is inconsistent with his opinions on softball transfers.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:PH, I wasn’t responding to you. I know y’all always joke that he’s a lib. Was speaking to 20something, bc that didn’t really seem like a joke.
Ok. <insert fist bump emoji here>
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Why does there seem to be more transfers in softball than baseball ?
Semi or is? I’d be interested to see what the percentage breakdown is. Personally I like the Senior transfer rule where players can get that one year at another school. Seeing that a ton in hoops
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't like any transfers, other than JUCOs, which serve a purpose. Allowing players to jump teams is never good, whether high school, college or pro ranks.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I don't like any transfers, other than JUCOs, which serve a purpose. Allowing players to jump teams is never good, whether high school, college or pro ranks.
If they’ve graduated and have eligibility why not let them work on a masters and play somewhere else?
By Jonathan Carone
I'm all for players transferring. There should be a one-year penalty if they leave on their own and haven't graduated, but I'm good with them playing right away if:

1) They've graduated
2) Their coach is fired
3) Their coach leaves for a new job
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I'm all for players transferring. There should be a one-year penalty if they leave on their own and haven't graduated, but I'm good with them playing right away if:

1) They've graduated
2) Their coach is fired
3) Their coach leaves for a new job
I think that’s totally fair. The vast majority of players choose a school based on the coach. If the coach leaves the players should have that option as well
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Take that, Purple. Ballcoach seems to have all the answers. :boxing :buttkick And I bet Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken were 2 of his baseball heroes, because they only played for one team their whole careers.
Last edited by Cider Jim on November 21st, 2018, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:It's always the school's name on uniforms, not coaches'.
That makes fashion sense but no practical sense. The coach recruits them not the admissions counselor
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Take that, Purple. Ballcoach seems to have all the answers. :boxing :buttkick And I bet Brooks Robinson and Cal Ripken were 2 of his baseball heroes, because they only played for one team their whole careers.

I have the utmost respect for players who play their entire careers with the same team, even those who play for teams I do not like.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I would say the chances are very good that at some point next year either Josh Mack or Johnny Huntley will score a game winning touchdown for Liberty. I expect ballcoach to then say the victory is invalid. To do otherwise would be hypocritical.
By CCWMichael
oldflame wrote:I would say the chances are very good that at some point next year either Josh Mack or Johnny Huntley will score a game winning touchdown for Liberty. I expect ballcoach to then say the victory is invalid. To do otherwise would be hypocritical.
Nice call.
All in all. NCAA market is an open market and If a player for any reason wants to make a decision to tranfer ... Go.
The culture may not be a right fit, family issues, future playing time, and so many more noy listed.
If I did not like jobs I had I transferred ... period.
If forced to stay somewhere could be more toxic than what it is worth.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
For those who follow softball closely, they will know that Oregon is a revolving door when it comes to softball. Seems as if half the team transfers out or in, every season.

I feel there is some unethical stuff taking place, somewhere.

Nike $$$$$ ?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:For those who follow softball closely, they will know that Oregon is a revolving door when it comes to softball. Seems as if half the team transfers out or in, every season.

I feel there is some unethical stuff taking place, somewhere.

Nike $$$$$ ?
Unethically transferring out? :dontgetit
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When a player transfers in or out, contact is made, by someone, somewhere. What's unknown is who, what, when and where the contacts were made.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]