If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Lots of controversy in the last couple minutes of game 1. I'd love to hear from the coaches/refs about the "charge" that was later overturned as a "blocking foul." And how can JR Smith not know the score when he grabbed that offensive rebound in the last few seconds?
Last edited by Cider Jim on June 1st, 2018, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Since it was called a charge in the floor it should have remained a charge. Had it been called a block on the floor I would have said the same thing. There was just not indisputable proof to turn that over. Also from my understanding refs can only review that play to see if the defender was outside the restricted area. Not if it was a block or charge but I may be wrong on that.

Either way Cleveland still had chances to win the game and they didn't execute. A missed free throw followed by an absolutely boneheaded play by JR Smith after getting the offensive rebound.

All of that said the games start way too late. I complain about it every year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Lots of controversy in the last couple minutes of game 1. I'd love to hear from the coaches/refs about the "charge" that was later overturned as a "blocking foul." And how can JR Smith not know the score when he grabbed that offense rebound in the last few seconds?
Well JR Smith isn’t a Rhodes Scholar when it comes to basketball let alone anything else...

As for the Block/Charge it was pretty ugly but I think they got it right. The NBA Rule says that under 2 minutes officials can go to the monitor to see if a player is in the restricted area. While there, they can review the call to make sure it was correct. If you watch the replay, the Trail Official was in the process of signaling a ‘block’ until he saw the Lead come out with a whistle. The Lead, correctly, deferred to the Trail, who then deferred, for some unknown reason, back to the Lead. When you watch the Lead signal the charge, you can tell he didn’t like it. Getting together to go over the tape gave them an out.
The REAL problem is that in the NBA Rulebook, neither LeBron nor Durant can foul and any close play goes in their favor. Since this play involved both of them, the Officials were obviously in a quandary 8) :lol:
I don’t care for LeBron but he is unstoppable going to his right. When he was forced left for 3 possessions in OT he went 0-3. But I guess the game plan is to let him score whatever he wants and hope no one else beats them. I’ve always thought KD is the best player in the League. But he’s disappeared the last couple of games
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Glad Golden State won, haven't watched an NBA game in 21 years, and hope to go 21 more.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Then why do you even have an opinion?

PH is correct, once at monitor they can review whole call. Lead official didn’t have great angle. Replay showed LeBron never squares up, so he was never in legal defending position. It was a block. They got that right.

I agree with everything said already about JR Smith.

LeBron is incredible, but the help has to be there. Love was good, Nance was a pleasant surprise. But when GA can play that poorly and still eke out a victory, that’s just nuts.

We are witnessing the greatest team ever assembled. Until LBJ goes to Philly this summer.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
How far west, Postman? LA or Oakland? (If you can't beat them, join them?).
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
As Stephen A. said this week, if LBJ went to Oakland, his reputation would be forever tarnished. I would be SHOCKED if that happened. He has said the nice things he has to about their organization, but that just can’t be a serious gesture at this point.

Houston would have to absolutely gut their roster. He’s been down that road before.

I think San Antonio has potential. Best coach in the league. Especially if the Kawhi thing ends after season.

Portland is intriguing, but I’m just not sure they have the market he wants for his own brand.

LA seems most likely to me out West. I like them, Philly or NY. I loved the Philly idea until the bizarre Colangelo thing came out last week. Something like that - a severe loss of trust in the GM - could derail talks before they even get off the ground.

Or he could stay in Cleveland.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:As Stephen A. said this week, if LBJ went to Oakland, his reputation would be forever tarnished. I would be SHOCKED if that happened. He has said the nice things he has to about their organization, but that just can’t be a serious gesture at this point.

Houston would have to absolutely gut their roster. He’s been down that road before.

I think San Antonio has potential. Best coach in the league. Especially if the Kawhi thing ends after season.

Portland is intriguing, but I’m just not sure they have the market he wants for his own brand.

LA seems most likely to me out West. I like them, Philly or NY. I loved the Philly idea until the bizarre Colangelo thing came out last week. Something like that - a severe loss of trust in the GM - could derail talks before they even get off the ground.

Or he could stay in Cleveland.
Call me crazy but I think LeBron is toxic at this point. You don’t hear ther stories of teams mortgaging their futures to make a run at him like you have the last 2 times. Heck there was more horse trading going on for Melo and CP3! The guy is Fools Gold IMO. No WAY GS brings him in. They are based on motion and chemistry. Two things LeBron destroys. He’s never had a coach outside of Coach K for the Olympics he hasn’t run out so SA is out. Not to mention they are the Patriots of the NBA when it comes to culture. Philly would have to give up on the whole Trust The Process thing.
The ONLY place that could contain his style and ego outside of Cleveland is LA Either squad. I’m not sure the Lakers will take the chance or the Clippers will spend the money
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:How far west, Postman? LA or Oakland? (If you can't beat them, join them?).
LA would be my guess but Houston is another possibility. Rumor has it CP3 is already recruiting him.

I actually think he wants to stay in Cleveland but he has never gotten along with that awful ownership group and I think that is the main factor.

He also has a home in LA soooooo....m
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
CP3 is tight with LeBron and is working it. But I just don't see it working with the Ryan Anderson albatross hanging around the franchise's neck. He'd have to take a discount to make it work and LBJ don't take no discounts.

I agree that the Lakers are the leaders with coming back to the Cavs for one more season not far behind.

Wow, I am so glad the Rox didn't land Melo. I was already holding my nose at the idea and it was obviously disastrous for OKC.
By Jonathan Carone
LeBron doesn’t fit at all in Philly. If he went there, they’d essentially be pushing Simmons away for two years.

The biggest issue with LeBron is he wants the absolute max contract while still wanting great talent around him and expects owners to pay the luxury tax no matter what.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am no NBA fan, but best thing that could happen to basketball is for the James guy in Cleveland to retire.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am no NBA fan, but best thing that could happen to basketball is for the James guy in Cleveland to retire.
Except he is the best thing to happen to the NBA since MJ. Viewership numbers and revenues are up.

But sure, I'm sure the guy who hates the NBA and is wrong more times than he is right is actually the guy I should listen to on this.
Jonathan Carone wrote:LeBron doesn’t fit at all in Philly. If he went there, they’d essentially be pushing Simmons away for two years.

The biggest issue with LeBron is he wants the absolute max contract while still wanting great talent around him and expects owners to pay the luxury tax no matter what.
Which is why the Lakers or Knicks are the only teams/markets that make sense at this point. They will spend the money. The Knicks have been such a joke for so long that the Lakers will appeal more to him. Also the LA house helps.

Houston is the dark horse but it's Houston so I mean who wants to really live there???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I am no NBA fan, but best thing that could happen to basketball is for the James guy in Cleveland to retire.
Except he is the best thing to happen to the NBA since MJ. Viewership numbers and revenues are up.

But sure, I'm sure the guy who hates the NBA and is wrong more times than he is right is actually the guy I should listen to on this.
Jonathan Carone wrote:LeBron doesn’t fit at all in Philly. If he went there, they’d essentially be pushing Simmons away for two years.

Which is why the Lakers or Knicks are the only teams/markets that make sense at this point. They will spend the money. The Knicks have been such a joke for so long that the Lakers will appeal more to him. Also the LA house helps.

Houston is the dark horse but it's Houston so I mean who wants to really live there???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
LeBron is good for the League because he is polarizing. ballcoach is good for this board because he just says stuff with 0 rationale. You want to pay attention to both to see what chicanery happens next.

LeBron’s legacy is already tarnished with The Decision. He made a huge stride in repairing it by returning to Cleveland. If he bolts again, any goodwill he’s engendered will be gone and all the cover he’s been getting in the Media will start to evaporate. The Lakers would be foolish to sign him. Although I would so so love to see Lavar Ball and him battle in the Media!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Dan Gilbert is a joke of an owner. If he wasn't in the picture I think LeBron stays. If I were LeBron I wouldn't want to work for that guy either. So I kind of get it at this point but you're right most won't see it that way.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Dan Gilbert is a joke of an owner. If he wasn't in the picture I think LeBron stays. If I were LeBron I wouldn't want to work for that guy either. So I kind of get it at this point but you're right most won't see it that way.
Jordan loathed Jerry Krause and wasn’t all too fond of Jerry Reinsdorf (sp) yet he persevered

LeBron basically has free reign over the team. He ‘fired’ the only 2 Coaches that could have taken him to greater heights. He wanted the roster overhauled twice since last year and it was done. There is nowhere he can go and retain that level of control. You notice the Heat aren’t clamoring for him to return. That should tell you something about what it like to have him in your organization
By Jonathan Carone
David Griffin was on Bill Simmons’ podcast and had some really interesting insight into being the GM of Lebron’s team. I don’t think he’s toxic but he definitely creates his challenges.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:David Griffin was on Bill Simmons’ podcast and had some really interesting insight into being the GM of Lebron’s team. I don’t think he’s toxic but he definitely creates his challenges.
Give us the Cliff’s Notes.
By Class of 20Something
Proverbs 17:28
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:David Griffin was on Bill Simmons’ podcast and had some really interesting insight into being the GM of Lebron’s team. I don’t think he’s toxic but he definitely creates his challenges.
Essentially it’s a catch 22 if he’s on your team and you’re in the front office:

On one hand you have the best player in the world which also gives you possibly the best chance of your career to win a title.

On the other, because he does year to year contracts to maximize his value and power, you are incapable of planning for the future and have to do everything to win right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Essentially it’s a catch 22 if he’s on your team and you’re in the front office:

On one hand you have the best player in the world which also gives you possibly the best chance of your career to win a title.

On the other, because he does year to year contracts to maximize his value and power, you are incapable of planning for the future and have to do everything to win right now.
I’d argue about Best Player in the World but I get it. The fact that he does things the way he does business wise would put him on a No list for me. Look at Cleveland when he left the first time, they had nothing. Miami got hit with an injured Bosh and an aged Wade BUT a great Front Office. If he leaves Cleveland again, they will have nothing left. The demands he makes once he’s on your team I just don’t see the payoff. If he’s smart he will stay in Cleveland
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Who is better than him? This Cleveland team would be absolutely awful without him. I don't see Durant or any other player in the league today that would take this Cavs team to 4 NBA finals in a row.

I use to downplay LeBron's greatness but he is without a doubt the best player in the world today.

The business side can be debated but i just don't see how his greatness can be.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Who is better than him? This Cleveland team would be absolutely awful without him. I don't see Durant or any other player in the league today that would take this Cavs team to 4 NBA finals in a row.

I use to downplay LeBron's greatness but he is without a doubt the best player in the world today.

The business side can be debated but i just don't see how his greatness can be.
If Cleveland was in the West they wouldn’t have been to 4 straight finals. You have to factor that. I’m not saying he isn’t a great player. He’s virtually unstoppable going to his right. He is a physical specimen and overpowers most of his defenders. But yes, I’d rather have a 7 fitter who can play point, score on the perimeter, post and off the dribble and make others better. LeBron is a much better passer. In fact, when he’s had Coaches in Miami and Cleveland that ran high sets for him I thought he was amazing. That was when LeBron was on path to be The GOAT.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yea, being in the east has helped. But the Cavs without LeBron wouldn't sniff the playoffs. I don't think there's a player in the league right now could do what he has really done the past 9 years.

This isn't a GOAT debate because those debates are not winnable. Different eras with different rules. You just can't compare.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]