If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I wonder about fit. CSU is a completely different beast than USC or LU. I have always liked JB, so I hope it is a great move. But he'll have to be a very different AD. Hank Smalls was a great one.

"To be successful, we have to hire coaches who not only embrace but also enjoy the challenge of doing more with less." - Hank Small, on Charleston Southern's intercollegiate athletics atmosphere
Meanwhile, there was another press conference in Charleston, SC.

No mention of LU (and no hair gel). JB did confirm that CSU has the smallest D1 gym in the country.

He mentioned Furman and SC by name but then called Liberty “the next school” and mentioned “Virginia” but never said the word Liberty.

I realize bad blood towards Jerry but didn't realize there was that much animosity toward the entire school.
He obviously knows what he is getting into from a factual standpoint, but it will be interesting to see if he is prepared to deal with it day to day. 4 year extensions based on 4 days of success won't fly in this situation.
Jonathan Carone wrote:He mentioned Furman and SC by name but then called Liberty “the next school” and mentioned “Virginia” but never said the word Liberty.

I realize bad blood towards Jerry but didn't realize there was that much animosity toward the entire school.
I don't really blame him. They had by all intents and purposes hired a new AD long before he was let go. I can't remember his exact tweet the day before he was let go but I remember the nature of it lead me to believe he had no idea he was about to be let go.

That's pretty crappy.
There could be pages upon pages dissecting what Jeff did well and what he didn't at Liberty and the reasons why. I personally liked him and he was always good to me. I understand why others have their issues. All that said, I think Jeff can do well at CSU. A lot of the things he did in his first years at Liberty to develop a culture and elevate a fan base will go over really well there. He even said in the press conference he's a builder, not a sustainer. I think he may have been humbled a little (who wouldn't given the situation?) and had time to evaluate what he did well and didn't do well while here. With that perspective along with his skillset, they'll be very happy with him down there.
The thing is I think it was time was right for LU to move on from JB. As LU does, they handled it completely wrong and that is really too bad.

JB had his strengths and weaknesses but did a heck of a job building up our athletics program. I remember being so impressed with how he addressed me personally with concerns I had. It was refreshing and I always had respect for him after that.
Jonathan Carone wrote:There could be pages upon pages dissecting what Jeff did well and what he didn't at Liberty and the reasons why. I personally liked him and he was always good to me. I understand why others have their issues. All that said, I think Jeff can do well at CSU. A lot of the things he did in his first years at Liberty to develop a culture and elevate a fan base will go over really well there. He even said in the press conference he's a builder, not a sustainer. I think he may have been humbled a little (who wouldn't given the situation?) and had time to evaluate what he did well and didn't do well while here. With that perspective along with his skillset, they'll be very happy with him down there.
That is a great summation.
I'm glad to see him land there. I like the school. I wouldn't read to much into him not saying Liberty, after all he's now at an old rival .

AD's and head coaches make a lot of money and move around so it's wise for them to not burn bridges! :)
Jonathan Carone wrote:The politics at Liberty make it nearly impossible to keep a ton of bridges once you're fired from there, especially if you're fired by Jerry.
I'M still trying to figure out who's more political, you or JR. :lol:
flamehunter wrote:Barber is 60 so he's probably viewing this as his last job before retirement. Burning bridges may not be as big a deal at that point in the career as for a younger AD.
I always forget JB's age. He doesn't look 60 at all.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]