If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

When I said the politics of Liberty, I wasn’t talking republican vs democrat. I was talking the inner workings of the university. You can’t be publicly supporting a guy who the president fired. Because of that, the guy who was fired thinks it’s personal. That leads to bridges being burned.

The only time I have issues with Jerry is when he says/does things that negatively impact Liberty. I’m good disagreeing with him on issues as long as it doesn’t negative hurt the school.
Jonathan Carone wrote:When I said the politics of , I wasn’t talking republican vs democrat. I was talking the inner workings of the university. You can’t be publicly supporting a guy who the president fired. Because of that, the guy who was fired thinks it’s personal. That leads to bridges being burned.

The only time I have issues with Jerry is when he says/does things that negatively impact . I’m good disagreeing with him on issues as long as it doesn’t negative hurt the school.
Real men (JB) deal with disappointment and move on :lol: . He'll be great at CSU. And JR has great instincts, and has been spot on lately.
TH Spangler wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:The politics at Liberty make it nearly impossible to keep a ton of bridges once you're fired from there, especially if you're fired by Jerry.
I'M still trying to figure out who's more political, you or JR. :lol:

:dontgetit

That’s a spot on assessment not sure what the question is?
thepostman wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:He mentioned Furman and SC by name but then called Liberty “the next school” and mentioned “Virginia” but never said the word Liberty.

I realize bad blood towards Jerry but didn't realize there was that much animosity toward the entire school.
I don't really blame him. They had by all intents and purposes hired a new AD long before he was let go. I can't remember his exact tweet the day before he was let go but I remember the nature of it lead me to believe he had no idea he was about to be let go.

That's pretty crappy.
If he didn't know he was getting fired, he might have been the only one on the mountain, that didn't know it. That would show less discernment/understanding than giving a four year extension to Layer, or guaranteeing some assistant coaches contracts, or many other similar/stupid decisions he made.
According to LU they spent a ton of time looking into IM before hiring him. They should of given JB a heads up that they planned on heading in another direction. I realize that many on the mountain were aware JB was probably going to be let go. It still doesn't make the way LU handled it any better.

It was without a doubt the right call. I'm not arguing that point. I just think it was handled poorly which is par for the course with how that place is run at the top.
thepostman wrote:According to LU they spent a ton of time looking into IM before hiring him. They should of given JB a heads up that they planned on heading in another direction. I realize that many on the mountain were aware JB was probably going to be let go. It still doesn't make the way LU handled it any better.

It was without a doubt the right call. I'm not arguing that point. I just think it was handled poorly which is par for the course with how that place is run at the top.
I am sure he was aware, or should have been. However, why should they have given him a heads up? There are a lot of good reasons they shouldn't have. In addition, how many employers tell an employee, "we are going to fire you in a few weeks, months, etc. just want to give you a heads up?" Most people get zero notice, there are a few legal exceptions, but in JB's case, it didn't apply.
JB was a nice guy and a good fit. He did a lot of good things, mostly culture wise. I was never a huge fan of most of his coaching hires but the way he helped developed the culture of caring about athletics was huge. We can complain about attendance etc today but its light years ahead of where it was when i graduated in 2007. I never even went to a football game when i was there because it was such a joke. Hiring layer and then extending him after a fluke run was just horrible though. We dont have any assistant coaches that have ever shown they should have guaranteed salaries. Thats a joke.

However, now that were out of the Big South i will root for him to do well. He was fully invested when he was here. I think he will do better at a small school. It seemed as though he might have been trying to hard to be something more than we were which led to bad coaching decisions. At csu it is what it is. Money is limited to the person has to actually want to be there and understand its not a blank check

The only question i want to know that ive heard both ways...was toman canning jerry jr JB or both? Just curious to see how that plays out in the future.
jinxy wrote:JB was a nice guy and a good fit. He did a lot of good things, mostly culture wise. I was never a huge fan of most of his coaching hires but the way he helped developed the culture of caring about athletics was huge. We can complain about attendance etc today but its light years ahead of where it was when i graduated in 2007. I never even went to a football game when i was there because it was such a joke. Hiring layer and then extending him after a fluke run was just horrible though. We dont have any assistant coaches that have ever shown they should have guaranteed salaries. Thats a joke.

However, now that were out of the Big South i will root for him to do well. He was fully invested when he was here. I think he will do better at a small school. It seemed as though he might have been trying to hard to be something more than we were which led to bad coaching decisions. At csu it is what it is. Money is limited to the person has to actually want to be there and understand its not a blank check

The only question i want to know that ive heard both ways...was toman canning jerry jr JB or both? Just curious to see how that plays out in the future.
From what I've heard, it was mostly JR, but IMHO it was time for a change regardless. Love Jackson, but the jury is certainly still out on whether he will be the long term answer. Doesn't really matter as far as the decision to let Toman go.
That was what i gathered but i wasnt 100 percent sure.

Were the coaching hires/fires 100 percent jbs decisions. That was always my other big question.

Successful hires: dot richardson, mckay (ill only count him once since the rehire was easy) and toman. I do think toman was a good hire and advanced the program but i also think it was time to move on

Duds: layer...extending layer. Gill and more so the guarantee of assistant coach salaries when we were bidding against nobody to keep him and staff.
jinxy wrote:That was what i gathered but i wasnt 100 percent sure.

Were the coaching hires/fires 100 percent jbs decisions. That was always my other big question.

Successful hires: dot richardson, mckay (ill only count him once since the rehire was easy) and toman. I do think toman was a good hire and advanced the program but i also think it was time to move on

Duds: layer...extending layer. Gill and more so the guarantee of assistant coach salaries when we were bidding against nobody to keep him and staff.
I am sure that all hiring/firing decisions were not JB's. In addition to the dud hires he made, you have to consider there were some great hires he didn't make. We had a SEC assistant football coach, with 25+ years experience, NFL player experience, who applied for a job opening at LU. As good a Christian guy as you would ever meet and a great LU fit. He wasn't hired for the job. He told me that JB seemed to be intimidated by him, when he interviewed. There were some other missed hires that would have been real assets to LU that were not made. I am glad he is gone.................. about 3-5 years too late. Not real impressed with the results of his tenure. Pilates anyone?
flameshaw wrote:

I am sure that all hiring/firing decisions were not JB's. In addition to the dud hires he made, you have to consider there were some great hires he didn't make. We had a SEC assistant football coach, with 25+ years experience, NFL player experience, who applied for a job opening at LU. As good a Christian guy as you would ever meet and a great LU fit. He wasn't hired for the job. He told me that JB seemed to be intimidated by him, when he interviewed. There were some other missed hires that would have been real assets to LU that were not made. I am glad he is gone.................. about 3-5 years too late. Not real impressed with the results of his tenure. Pilates anyone?
Is this individual still open (probably not) for a job? Also, who was this coach if you don't mind sharing?
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:

Is this individual still open (probably not) for a job? Also, who was this coach if you don't mind sharing?
He might would consider an opportunity at LU, he loves the school, facilities, etc. However, he is retired now, even though he is still repetitively young, and planning to move to Texas in the near future. (he doesn't really want to, but his wife does). I don't want to give out his name, but he played at FSU, was an assistant at two other SEC schools for a long time. A very dynamic Christian, close to the personality of a Rock Royer................................ great guy. We really missed out not hiring this guy. He was ready to come to LU, but for some reason, Jeff didn't hire him. I think it was because he was a bigger personality than Jeff, but who knows. Jeff also passed over some big time coaches in other sports, in fact, didn't even look at them. My guess is, because they were suggested to JB (not by me, but I personally saw the lists provided ) and didn't even know that they could have been available and/or interested in LU. And these people go to the NCAA's almost every year and/or were professional players/coaches ie. Al Worthington, Sam Ritigliano, Bobby Richardson types.
thepostman wrote:Jerry is the sucker for big names. That's where you and your friends messed up.

Also this name dropping without name dropping is insanely pointless. You don't like Jeff.

Cool.
Less than 20% of the names I have seen were "big names". When you make a promise not to mention names or situations, you keep that promise. If you don't. sources have a way of drying up. I knew days before we announced the ASUN conference affiliation that the announcement was coming. I also knew several days before Ian was announced as AD, that he was coming, etc. etc. Some of this can be verified by others and by some posts I made prior to, etc. I share what I can, without breaking trust of others. You don't like it, fine. I am too old to care.
No, I didn't like Jeff, like almost every person that worked directly for him. We lost a chance at a very good football coach, because he was the AD here. It has nothing to do with him as a person, he just didn't do a very good job as AD.
Where you messed up, is actually thinking I care about your opinion.
Carry on. :roll:
By R i
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:I was a JB fan and hope he does well at CSU. Good to see him back in athletics.
Theres a username I haven't seen in a while.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]