If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach will be pleased to see that Longwood hired a new basketball coach. He's from the UMBC staff that beat UVa, and he's also a lawyer.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 89ab4.html
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Ballcoach will be pleased to see that Longwood hired a new basketball coach. He's from the UMBC staff that beat UVa, and he's also a lawyer.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/ ... 89ab4.html
Almost a Joe Moglia-type hire. It will be interesting to see if it turns out as well for Longwood as it did for Coastal.

Jason Gee was considered to be one of the top assistant coaches in America when he was at Wright State. Hard to know if he was one of those cases of a good assistant who's skills just don't translate to being a HC, or if it's just that hard to win in Farmville.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The only way I see anyone signing with Longwood basketball is if that's only school to make an offer.

I don't think this guy was actually a coach at UMBC. He was Director of Basketball Operations.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The only way I see anyone signing with Longwood basketball is if that's only school to make an offer.

I don't think this guy was actually a coach at UMBC. He was Director of Basketball Operations.
I think every player they offer would pick them over the university in Gretna.

Actually, Aldrich spent the past year as director of recruiting and program development. He was Basketball Operations the year before, and before that he was a lawyer and businessman, thus the comparison to Moglia.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Tubby Smith to HPU has been rumored since I started following Liberty.
Yes, but this is the first time it actually looks feasible.
1) He is in his 60s, unemployed, and after the 2 year Memphis disaster, demand for his services is LOW.
2) His next coaching job will probably be his last.
3) Memphis owes him over 9 million dollars, which will be paid at 1.5 million a year for 6 years. (He can work cheap.)
4) HP has already announced they are naming the court at their new facility after him.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
UNCA coach is the favorite for the Middle Tennessee job. If he leaves, it’s almost certain that Teague leaves.

High Points best player, Fox already requested his leave and you always have to watch for Clemons.
Pretty questionable hire to say the least, especially when you look into the background of the process. Longwood President was heavily involved in the search and hiring process. Aldrich and the president go way back and are pretty tight with each other - law school buddies. There were infinitely more qualified coaches that applied and never even had a chance. Instead of hiring the guys that are actually qualified for the position, the president hijacked the process to hire his college buddy.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:UNCA coach is the favorite for the Middle Tennessee job. If he leaves, it’s almost certain that Teague leaves.

High Points best player, Fox already requested his leave and you always have to watch for Clemons.
Clemons will be a Senior, so unless he is graduating this Spring, I doubt he will transfer. Obviously, he would have a ton of choices as a grad transfer, and IMHO would be well served to take one of them.

McDevitt to MTSU? :dontgetit

They are higher profile and better funded, with more tradition and a better fan base. Arena seats over 11k. It's still a one bid league and probably a tougher path to either an NCAA or NIT bid each year than UNCA. They probably pay a lot better though. :idea:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Pretty questionable hire to say the least, especially when you look into the background of the process. Longwood President was heavily involved in the search and hiring process. Aldrich and the president go way back and are pretty tight with each other - law school buddies. There were infinitely more qualified coaches that applied and never even had a chance. Instead of hiring the guys that are actually qualified for the position, the president hijacked the process to hire his college buddy.
Sounds like he hung out with the right crowd in law school. 8) Call it a reach, Call it outside-the-box or whatever else you want to. Hiring the best qualified guy available hasn't worked for Longwood. Why not try something different? Worst could happen is they lose a bunch of games and their RPI drops to the 300s. Oh, wait, it's already there. :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Longwood should drop to DII.
You should post valid reasons why.

Neither will happen
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Very weak school in D1, other than softball. Basketball is a joke, and they don't have football. I know nothing about their baseball team. I have yet to understand why BSC ever admitted them. They bring NOTHING to the conference. Hampton and USC Upstate are much more worthy conference members.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Very weak school in D1, other than softball. Basketball is a joke, and they don't have football. I know nothing about their baseball team. I have yet to understand why BSC ever admitted them. They bring NOTHING to the conference. Hampton and USC Upstate are much more worthy conference members.
So you admit you Know next to nothing about their athletic department yet pass judgement on their D1 viability
Gotcha.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I said I know nothing about their baseball.

I may go down there Tuesday to scout the Virginia Tech @ Longwood softball game.
Volleyball?
Soccer?
Tennis?
WBB?
Budget?
Marketing?
Facilities?
Couple of Sweet 16 Teams don’t have Football either. Should they not be D1 either?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Longwood should drop to DII.
You should post valid reasons why.
Ballcoach is probably thinking that if Longwood dropped down to DII, Liberty could WIN the Big South in SOFTBALL. Am I right, ballcoach?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am not familiar with their budgeting and marketing, but in everything else, they are a crummy D1 school.
So you admit drawing conclusions from ignorance. Got it. Must be your internet posting ‘handlers’ that are putting you up to this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I am not familiar with their budgeting and marketing, but in everything else, they are a crummy D1 school.

Let's just say you are right. Other than softball, Longwood is not consistently good in any sport. So what? This isn't English soccer, where you get relegated to a lower division if you don't win enough. Longwood met the requirements to become a D1 athletic program several years ago, and unless something changes, it will be up to them to decide if continuing to devote the necessary resources to stay there is worth the investment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:

Let's just say you are right. Other than softball, Longwood is not consistently good in any sport. So what? This isn't English soccer, where you get relegated to a lower division if you don't win enough. Longwood met the requirements to become a D1 athletic program several years ago, and unless something changes, it will be up to them to decide if continuing to devote the necessary resources to stay there is worth the investment.
I love the EPL Relegation Concept. Thought it would be great for MLB.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
olldflame wrote:

I love the EPL Relegation Concept. Thought it would be great for MLB.
Works great for soccer. Might work for MLB, but would require some serious beefing up of the AAA leagues. For NCAA programs with multiple teams, it would be impossible.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It MIGHT work for FB only but as for the rest I agree. No way it would be plausible on a School by School basis.
‘Someone’ May or may not have an entire case study of MLB going to a Relegation type system that wouldn’t involve Minor Leagues.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I said I know nothing about their baseball.

I may go down there Tuesday to scout the Virginia Tech @ Longwood softball game.
Volleyball?
Soccer?
Tennis?
WBB?
Budget?
Marketing?
Facilities?
Couple of Sweet 16 Teams don’t have Football either. Should they not be D1 either?
I appreciate the defense of Longwood, although it might be just to counter ballcoach! I actually like the school and have great memories of our rivalry way back when. I think it is a fine school; Emily Heady went over there after the crappy game LU played with her. I've heard she really likes the school and the atmosphere. Nice campus in a neat little town- a cool brewery nearby, too. Maybe ballcoach doesn't like it because they really put education and faculty ahead of sports.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]