If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Wildcat, good post above on Longwood. I am still trying to figure out how they got into BSC. They had been denied entry into a conference for years, then a new President came on board and worked some magic, and got them into BSC. Why, I do not know. They had nothing positive to bring to BSC, other than softball. Conference would be better off if LW wasn't in it.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Wildcat, good post above on Longwood. I am still trying to figure out how they got into BSC. They had been denied entry into a conference for years, then a new President came on board and worked some magic, and got them into BSC. Why, I do not know. They had nothing positive to bring to BSC, other than softball. Conference would be better off if LW wasn't in it.
You have said the same thing about Radford, and the fact is Presbyterian, Charleston Southern and USC-Upstate are all just as bad as Longwood, and UNCA is not much better. You have also stated that all schools who don't have football teams should be booted, which includes a couple of the best overall athletic programs in the conference in Winthrop and High Point, while 2 of the worst overall programs (Presby and CSU) have football.

The BSC is an "entry level" D1 conference. The idea that any applicant should have to meet your standards to be accepted is beyond laughable. Every conference (even the mighty SEC) has "bottom feeders".
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Within NCAA, football "drives the train". I am not familiar with history of BSC, but I do know that when Longwood was admitted, the conference was in need of schools who could strengthen the conference, not bring it down lower. LW has not made conference better.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that Longwood shouldn't be D1 but they are far from the only school in D1 athletics that probably don't belong and a few of those also reside in the big south conference.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Longwood should be Division II.

If Liberty can elevate football, basketball, baseball and softball to the "next level" within the next 2-3 years, I think we will land in Big 12.

For those laughing, I recall people laughing when Dr. Falwell announced he was starting a college.
By g-webb1994
Registration Days Posts
Facts:
(1) At least 95% of all colleges, and nearly 100% of state schools, reek with liberalism
(2) LU stands for Christ.

Combine those two, and getting into any conference at all, much less a power five loaded with state schools, is next to impossible. Liberals hear the name Falwell and their sphincters collectively tighten. Millennial snowflakes have never heard Falwell speak, and only know Falwell, Jr., but have been indoctrinated to hate both of them.

It will take an act of Almighty God for LU to land in a power five conference.
g-webb1994 wrote:Facts:
(1) At least 95% of all colleges, and nearly 100% of state schools, reek with liberalism
(2) LU stands for Christ.

Combine those two, and getting into any conference at all, much less a power five loaded with state schools, is next to impossible. Liberals hear the name Falwell and their sphincters collectively tighten. Millennial snowflakes have never heard Falwell speak, and only know Falwell, Jr., but have been indoctrinated to hate both of them.

It will take an act of Almighty God for LU to land in a power five conference.

This is truly a fact, and we have seen a little taste of action that no one believed fully. The win against Baylor was a blessing, even though one can say that they weren’t really good and there was a shift in the coaching staff. Still that wasn’t suppose to happen and the miracle occurred. I’m going to say that God can land a huge opportunity for LU to be one of the big boys. It will take time and effort and the program will need as much support possible. I know some folks here will say they’re realist and that is a dream, but I feel people plus myself at times, use that term to give ourselves an excuse to doubt. You can do so if you’d like, but my God had created this universe and have more power than a group of presidents/directors from bureaucratic universities. If we have to prove to them, then the program will just have to with the Lords help. Even if it isn’t the Lord’s will, the fact I know He can do it is satisfying enough. Just I’d share my thoughts on g-webb1994’s message.
ballcoach15 wrote:Postman, that is a ___________comment.
Oh good! Fill in the blank! Always so much fun. I’ll start:
“Postman, that is a _____________ comment.”

Astute
Accurate
Brilliant
Realistic
Obvious
No brainer
Relevant
Rudimentary
Cogent
Prescient
Insightful
Awe inspiring

Ok. Who is next?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Postman, that is a ___________comment.
Oh good! Fill in the blank! Always so much fun. I’ll start:
“Postman, that is a _____________ comment.”

Astute
Accurate
Brilliant
Realistic
Obvious
No brainer
Relevant
Rudimentary
Cogent
Prescient
Insightful
Awe inspiring

Ok. Who is next?

I'm still trying to figure out why he was comparing his thoughts with Dr Falwell's dreams.

But yes , I am awe inspiring. Thanks.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple is showing off his WVU education again. Study :wink:
ballcoach15 wrote:Longwood should be Division II.

If Liberty can elevate football, basketball, baseball and softball to the "next level" within the next 2-3 years, I think we will land in Big 12.

For those laughing, I recall people laughing when Dr. Falwell announced he was starting a college.
Frankly, they should probably go back to D3. That's the type of athletic facilities they have of the ones I have seen.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good question. I have noticed that also. I am going to guess that's it's because D2 schools do not emphasize sports as much as D3, thus don't spend as much money on them. Heck there's a D2 school in Virginia (Richard Bland) that only has 3 sports if my memory is correct.
Plus D2 schools don't get much media attention.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Division 2 schools often have no greater resources than their D3 counterparts, but they have to spend a portion of what they have to fund scholarships, which would leave less for facilities.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: Heck there's a D2 school in Virginia (Richard Bland) that only has 3 sports if my memory is correct.
Isn't that a junior college?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Division 2 schools often have no greater resources than their D3 counterparts, but they have to spend a portion of what they have to fund scholarships, which would leave less for facilities.
This is it in a nutshell. I would counter that most D3’s have more money than D2’s, because average tuition is much higher at D3’s. They are also completely enrollment driven through athletics, so they have even more incentive to enhance athletic facilities.

D2 is one step above JUCO. And sometimes below it.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
JK37 wrote:In my experience, most D3’s have better facilities than D2
Why is that?
D2 is a wasteland of mostly average to below average schools both academically and athletically. A LOT of garbage institutions that might as well be classified as diploma mills. Obviously doesn't apply to all of them, but D2 definitely has more than it's fair share of pitiful academic institutions relative to D1 and D3.
Last edited by lynchburgwildcats on April 23rd, 2018, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
JK37 wrote:
olldflame wrote:Division 2 schools often have no greater resources than their D3 counterparts, but they have to spend a portion of what they have to fund scholarships, which would leave less for facilities.
This is it in a nutshell. I would counter that most D3’s have more money than D2’s, because average tuition is much higher at D3’s. They are also completely enrollment driven through athletics, so they have even more incentive to enhance athletic facilities.

D2 is one step above JUCO. And sometimes below it.
The average D3 school is also a private school, so that kinda makes a big difference in regards to tuition. There are a lot of state schools as there is 450+ D3 schools, but I would say a big majority are private schools.

For example, only two state D3 schools in VA (Christopher Newport, Mary Washington), but 18 private D3s. Also zero public D3s in North Carolina.

On the other hand, nearly every D3 in Wisconsin is a state school. Most of the state D3s seem to be in the Midwest and New York.

There are a lot of D3 schools that are quite wealthy. Of the 100 schools listed (15 are international or don't sponsor athletics) for biggest endowment in the world at the below link, 21* are D3s and 0* are D2s.

https://thebestschools.org/features/ric ... -research/

*Doesn't include schools that may fall under that fall under the state school systems for endowment purposes, like Texas and California, for example. Johns Hopkins is also D3 in everything but lacrosse

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]