If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I said I know nothing about their baseball.

I may go down there Tuesday to scout the Virginia Tech @ Longwood softball game.
Volleyball?
Soccer?
Tennis?
WBB?
Budget?
Marketing?
Facilities?
Couple of Sweet 16 Teams don’t have Football either. Should they not be D1 either?
I appreciate the defense of Longwood, although it might be just to counter ballcoach! I actually like the school and have great memories of our rivalry way back when. I think it is a fine school; Emily Heady went over there after the crappy game LU played with her. I've heard she really likes the school and the atmosphere. Nice campus in a neat little town- a cool brewery nearby, too. Maybe ballcoach doesn't like it because they really put education and faculty ahead of sports.
Meh. ballcoach likes to flaunt his ignorance
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Easy, that's pushing the boundaries of personal attack.
He said he knows nothing......
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I know Longwood is one of the most crummy schools in D1. I would have to look far and wide to find one worse.
Or just at the rest of the BSC. Upstate? Presbyterian? Charleston Southern?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I know Longwood is one of the most crummy schools in D1. I would have to look far and wide to find one worse.
Or just at the rest of the BSC. Upstate? Presbyterian? Charleston Southern?
Chuck and Presbyterian have football so they would be better. Study
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks like Tubby to HP will be a done deal as early as today.

In other HP news, someone at the school (since they have no coach, I assume it was the AD) decided it was a good idea to deny Andre Fox "permission" to transfer. It will be interesting to see how Tubby handles this in light of his much publicised (and incredibly hypocritical) rant against the volume of transfers in D1 basketball. Said we were teaching players to be quitters. This coming from a guy who has "quit" multiple times when it suited him.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
:shock:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The NCAA needs to crack down on transfers. Allow them only in extreme cases.
The day they "crack down" on coaches who quit with years left on their contract to pursue another opportunity with ZERO repercussions is the day you can even consider the possibility of further restricting transfers. As it is, they have to sit a year, making it far tougher to change schools than to change jobs.

You have been harping on this for years ballcoach. For some reason, you seem to think of college athletes as slaves, who have no right to change their mind and pursue a better situation. The fact is, most transfers benefit all parties involved. The vast majority decide to transfer because their services are not needed/wanted where they are. They leave to go someplace where they are wanted, and thus free up a scholarship for the team they left to get a player who is a better fit. It is a WIN WIN.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:That's not as big of a problem as transfers. I believe I read that there were 801 transfers in NCAA basketball last season.
It is only a "problem" for anyone in the rare cases like Seth Curry where a star player leaves to go up a level. This is a small fraction of transfers. Most kids who leave are buried on the bench and want a chance to play.

Even in those cases, the fact that the team they leave is inconvenienced does not negate the athletes inalienable right to better themselves. The declaration of independance refers to them as life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I should not have used the word "slaves" in my earlier post. The more appropriate term would be indentured servants.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I still operate under the impression that college is a 4 year journey. (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior)
But that does not mean all 4 years need to be in the same place.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Looks like Tubby to HP will be a done deal as early as today.

In other HP news, someone at the school (since they have no coach, I assume it was the AD) decided it was a good idea to deny Andre Fox "permission" to transfer. It will be interesting to see how Tubby handles this in light of his much publicised (and incredibly hypocritical) rant against the volume of transfers in D1 basketball. Said we were teaching players to be quitters. This coming from a guy who has "quit" multiple times when it suited him.
Getting fired is not the same as ‘quitting’
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and Texas Tech did not fire him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and Texas Tech did not fire him.
He was shown the door at Kentucky. And Minnesota. And Memphis. The Tulsa to Georgia to UK makes sense. I scratched my head at his TT departure.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:He moves around a lot, fired or resigned.
Well if you are fired you really can’t stick around
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Not sure what "shown the door" means, but he was not fired at Kentucky. Yes, the Blue Nation natives were restless, and a lot of them were not upset in the least that he decided to take what he no doubt thought would be a less stressful job with more realistic expectations at Minnesota, but he had 4 years left on a lucrative contract and it was not a "resign or be fired" situation. He would have had at least another year, probably 2.

4 times he left coaching jobs for something he perceived to be better. Even if I were to concede that he left UK "under pressure" (from fans and boosters, not the administration) that's still 3, and considering that, IMHO it was hypocritical to imply that players who transfer are "quitters". Hey, I get that he was frustrated. 6 of his top 8 scorers at Memphis had just transferred, but rightly or wrongly, his hiring was the main reason most of them left.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Bottom line on Fox is that if HP does not release him, he can still transfer, but would have to pay his own way for the year he sits out. Good luck trying to recruit good players going forward if that happens.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Not sure what "shown the door" means, but he was not fired at Kentucky. Yes, the Blue Nation natives were restless, and a lot of them were not upset in the least that he decided to take what he no doubt thought would be a less stressful job with more realistic expectations at Minnesota, but he had 4 years left on a lucrative contract and it was not a "resign or be fired" situation. He would have had at least another year, probably 2.

4 times he left coaching jobs for something he perceived to be better. Even if I were to concede that he left UK "under pressure" (from fans and boosters, not the administration) that's still 3, and considering that, IMHO it was hypocritical to imply that players who transfer are "quitters". Hey, I get that he was frustrated. 6 of his top 8 scorers at Memphis had just transferred, but rightly or wrongly, his hiring was the main reason most of them left.
UK basically said ‘If you want to coach somewhere else we are totally ok with that and will help you in every possible way’. He would have been fired the next year regardless
I don’t think his statement was hypocritical at all. Coaches leave to better their jobs and family. If they get fired they get fired. Nothing you can do about that. But to say a guy going to Georgia from Tulsa and one of the Premier jobs from Georgia as ‘quitting’ is ludicrous. A vast majority of player transfers are because they are unhappy with something and think it will be better somewhere else. He’s got a point. I would like to see players able to transfer penalty free if the coaching situation changes. But the NCAA hasn’t asked me
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]