If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple, you just basically said that players transfer for the same reasons coaches leave jobs to go to another one. They think the new place will be better for them. It was Smith who used the "Q word", and that's my problem. I'm just saying that if it's quitting for a player, why isn't it for a him, when they are both seeking the same thing? I agree with you that in most cases it is not for either. Fact is, a lot of players who transfer have also basically been fired; if not by having their scholarship actually taken, by being relegated to the end of the bench.

Oh, and it did not escape me that you left out Tubby's move from Texas Tech to Memphis.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:Purple, you just basically said that players transfer for the same reasons coaches leave jobs to go to another one. They think the new place will be better for them. It was Smith who used the "Q word", and that's my problem. I'm just saying that if it's quitting for a player, why isn't it for a him, when they are both seeking the same thing? I agree with you that in most cases it is not for either. Fact is, a lot of players who transfer have also basically been fired; if not by having their scholarship actually taken, by being relegated to the end of the bench.

Oh, and it did not escape me that you left out Tubby's move from Texas Tech to Memphis.
Being relegated to the end of the bench is entirely different than their scholarship not being renewed. THAT is similar to being fired as a coach. The kid from Michigan who started out as a D3 player but is now in the Final Four would be similar to a coach moving up the coaching ladder.
A coach is also a grown adult with a family to provide for and if they can go from making 50k a year to 250k a year that IS a better situation. A player? They still get their education paid for and still have no guarantees. If the coach leaves, and a player wants to transfer, I get it. If there is a family emergency, I get it. But Tubby is right, that down the line, starting with AAU and High School players are learning it’s ok to quit, and it’s translating into the NCAA

The Texas Tech to Memphis move was interesting. It was a lateral move But Memphis looked to be a better job to him I guess.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I like Michigan's Coach. If my memory is correct, he started coaching at high school JV level , then moved up the coaching ladder, one step at a time, never skipping a rung, all the way to D1. He spoke at a coaches clinic I attended years ago.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I like Michigan's Coach.
And he played for Wheeling and coached at WVU.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Student-athletes should be free to transfer without penalty. (And it’s coming to that very soon...the rules are about to change!) If a non-athlete can change schools freely, a student-athlete should be free to do the same. I believe the academic year-in-residence requirement is far too punitive.

Furthermore, if coaches may be fired/bought-out at any time, then they should be free to leave and buyout their side of the contract when a better opportunity presents itself.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach doesnt always use the right reasoning. Sometimes the points are true. Ha. This week i agree with him twice. What he should have said was longwood is garbage in any of the sports that matter toward conference affiliation. No football, terrible mbb and wbb, terrble baseball and good softball. Sorry no other conference wants that. Obviously.

As for tubby. I could see this going either way. He could turn them into a mid major power with the new facility or he crash and burn into retirement.

Winthrop. I heard kelsey may be in running for xavier today. Heard somewhere else hes def still interested in leaving.

Unca. Thats a big loss with mcdevit. Cant say how impressive he was at unca. I never dreamed 7 or 8 years ago unca would have done this well over that time.

I hope the league doesnt turn to total trash again. Its nice when there are atleast 3 or 4 teams at the top that look like legit mid majors that can step outside the conference and do well.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When Hampton and USC Upstate enters BSC, the conference should improve immediately.

To demonstrate how bad the school in FarmVille is, tonight Virginia Tech was there for a softball double header. There was a decent crowd there (considering the venue). The concession stand shut down in 4th inning of first game, and never reopened.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When Hampton and USC Upstate enters BSC, the conference should improve immediately.

To demonstrate how bad the school in FarmVille is, tonight Virginia Tech was there for a softball double header. There was a decent crowd there (considering the venue). The concession stand shut down in 4th inning of first game, and never reopened.
I don't know where you get this idea that USC Upstate is a great addition to the BSC. :dontgetit

You constantly say the conference should get rid of all the current schools who do not have football teams. USC Upstate does not have a football team. The teams they do have and their facilities will put them in the bottom tier of the BSC. Right there with Longwood, Presby and Chucky South, and probably below Radford.

Hampton is a decent addition, largely because they will give the league some cushion in maintaining enough teams for an auto bid in football. They also have been pretty good in MBB the last few years. Otherwise, not much to get excited about.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:USC Upstate's location adds to the conference. Spartanburg is always a good road trip.
Same trip as Winthrop, except an hour further. If you are trying to say the city of Spartanburg is somehow an amazing place to visit................ :rofl :rofl

The location is right in the middle of the BSC footprint, which is good. That's about the best thing you can say about it. Their athletic programs do not make the conference significantly better in any sport. Their basketball RPI this year was lower than Longwood's :shock:

They do have a pretty good softball team. 70 RPI compared to 48 for LU and 66 for Longwood.
Last edited by olldflame on March 28th, 2018, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
USC Upstate came up from D2 without adding a penny to their budget except for scholarship. Zero boost to salaries and budgets. That tells you all you need to know.

BSC now legitimately has four of the 10 worst non-HBCU athletic departments in Division I. Addition of Upstate was a huge win for them. Not sure it did much for BSC.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:USC Upstate came up from D2 without adding a penny to their budget except for scholarship. Zero boost to salaries and budgets. That tells you all you need to know.

BSC now legitimately has four of the 10 worst non-HBCU athletic departments in Division I. Addition of Upstate was a huge win for them. Not sure it did much for BSC.
I would have to think Presby and Longwood are 2 of the other 3. Who do you have as the 3rd? Chuck South or UNCA?

Being in the BSC instead of the A-Sun will save a lot in travel costs for Upstate, and from the sound of it, they need the money.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Agreed usc upstate was another puzzling addition to longwood. The big south should have pursued kennesaw state very hard to be a full member over several of these other changes. Im sure they talked but i would have went all in for that.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Agreed usc upstate was another puzzling addition to longwood. The big south should have pursued kennesaw state very hard to be a full member over several of these other changes. Im sure they talked but i would have went all in for that.
I'm sure the BSC made the best pitch they could to Kennesaw. I think they see themselves as being in an FBS conference before too long and didn't want to make an interum change. Being BSC in football and A-Sun for other sports is working for them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I seem to recall a post about 3 years ago when Coastal Carolina was going FBS about South Carolina schools all were hurting for money.
The entire state is hurting for money. Coastal had to go back to the legislature multiple times and jump through a bunch of hoops to get their stadium expansion funded.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:USC-U, Presbyterian, Longwood, Chuck South
That sounds right. Asheville is also underfunded, and has some sports where they are really weak, but their overall program seems to be better than those 4.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
REALLY? Asheville is one of the most beautiful parts of North Carolina.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]