If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Virginia Tech and LU both have their men's and women's teams in post season tournaments. This is good for basketball in the state.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Virginia Tech and LU both have their men's and women's teams in post season tournaments. This is good for basketball in the state.
OK, I think you have reached a new low. You mention your favorite schools in VA and say it's "good for basketball in the state" that they are in tournaments. However you do not apparently think it is "good for basketball in the state" that the #1 seed in the NCAA men's tournament (coached by a wonderful Christian man, by the way) is just up the road in Charlottesville, because you "not like" UVA. :banghead
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Radford?
Hampton?
Their Men’s teams are in the Tournament. They are from VA. Do they not count?
VCU passed on Post Season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Radford?
Hampton?
Their Men’s teams are in the Tournament. They are from VA. Do they not count?
VCU passed on Post Season.
Apparently so did ODU (25-7).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Normally I don't like to post basketball stuff in May, but college athletes should not be paid. They go to college to get education. If athletes were to be paid, every athlete would have to be paid, not just basketball players.
The bigger schools with lots of money would have an advantage in recruiting, in that they would pay more $$$$$$ than they do now.
The NCAA needs to crack down on buying players., among other things.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:What about choosing between a scholarship and using their likeness for sponsorships?
Interesting proposal. But I can see a lot of potential for abuse. Who will keep track of royalties etc? Recruiting trips will come down to marketing proposals about how much money you can make as we use your likeness. And if there are promises made can the athlete sue of their image isn’t used as much as they were told? Will there be residuals?
Obviously this is would mostly benefit Football and MBB. The volleyball and track teams will still be on the short end of the stick. But I think a creative solution needs to be found
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Just play ball and stop using likeness. NCAA has allowed $$$$$$$ to ruin college sports.
You have to pay Coaches. You have to pay for the scholarships. You have to pay for the facilities and the travel and everything else. Without money, how do you propose to fund College Athletics?
I can't help but disagree. I know I don't have all the answers but to me there is a large conundrum. Yes, Student Athletes get a "free" education but they do pay by playing and representing their school for years on end. While I don't have an issue with schools making money on athletes, I believe that after the athletics department "breaks even" there needs to be a commission program in place to compensate players of profitable sports beyond their scholarships. Will there be sports that aren't profitable? Sure. And those players still get full scholarships. Alabama Football made $46M in 2015. A .0005% commission to those athletes would pay them about $25k a year. I don't think that is crazy to expect when some schools are more than covering their costs.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Let the athletes enter the free market with their own name, image and likeness. The schools should then pay a royalty to the athlete anytime name and likeness is used, but draw the line at a Jersey with just a number and no name.

The argument against this recently made to me was how athletes wouldn’t have time to go out and shop for advertisement and appearance deals. My answer, “Yeah, so what?” It would be on them to decide what they will and won’t do, which I like better than the current situation of not letting them choose at all. Let them gather their worth on the free market. When we restrict their free market earning capability, we create the culture for a black market.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Let me add, I don’t believe there should be any money directly paid from school to student-athlete beyond scholarship (tuition, room and board) + COA. The royalty would be paid from consumer to school, which divides up portion owed to student. In that transaction, School is simply middle-man. And school deserves some because, as Purple said, they responsible for giving the athlete the atmosphere (coaches, facilities, etc.) in which they compete.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Just play ball and stop using likeness. NCAA has allowed $$$$$$$ to ruin college sports.

The most amazingly hypocritical thing about your rantings about $$$$$$ ruining sports is that you are a fan of 2 programs that spend more of it than just about anyone at their respective levels, and it seems in your mind they can do no wrong. Then you complain that the venues for BSC championships are so poor, and want Liberty to host everything because they have nice ones. Wouldn't that be "buying" an advantage?

How do you suggest promoting games without using player likenesses? This is the way it has been done since they made posters for Dempsy vs. Louis.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It's easy to promote a game without using a likeness:

"Big South Softball Championship"
Liberty University vs Radford University
Today 2:30 p.m. RU Softball Field

Be there !
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
pictures of athletes are "over hyped, over rated or over whatever". I probably attend more live ball games than anyone on this board, over a year's time. I don't need a picture to get me to buy a ticket.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I think we’ve established ballcoach knows nothing about marketing. It’s becoming clear his knowledge of the ‘Business Side’ Of Athletics is also wanting.
I’ll ask again, how do you pay Nick Saban level salaries without money?
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]