If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:NCAA shot blocking statistics for the boys who don't believe me that Marshall's guy is leading the nation:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... vidual/138
Blocked Shots Per GameLast updated - March 16, 2018 Through games of March 15, 2018
RANK NAME TEAM CL HEIGHT POSITION G BLKS BKPG
1 Ajdin Penava Marshall Jr. 6-9 F 32 130 4.06
2 Mohamed Bamba Texas Fr. 6-11 F 29 108 3.72
3 Sagaba Konate West Virginia So. 6-8 F 33 109 3.30
4 Tai Odiase Ill.-Chicago Sr. 6-9 C 33 108 3.27
5 Jaren Jackson Jr. Michigan St. Fr. 6-11 F 33 104 3.15
6 Hayden Koval Central Ark. Fr. 7-0 C 33 103 3.12
7 Trayvon Reed Texas Southern --- - 29 89 3.07
#6 Hayden Koval was originally a Liberty commit. LU pulled the scholarship and he spent a year in a gap program before singing with UCA.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Another almost LU signee is Jarrod West, who is lighting it up for Marshall in the tournament.

Oh, and UMBC had a good game last night. :shock: Crybaby Old timers may remember that UMBC was a member of the Big South for 6 years, from 1992-1998.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Biggest upset since Jimmy Chitwood led his Hickory Huskers past the South Bend Central Bears
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
For all the people that question why we play in the CIT tournament, here is why-it's the experience. From what I remember of our game last year with UMBC in the quarterfinals, they handled us pretty well. Coach Odom has the blue prints for beating the pack line
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jack_sparrow81 wrote:For all the people that question why we play in the CIT tournament, here is why-it's the experience. From what I remember of our game last year with UMBC in the quarterfinals, they handled us pretty well. Coach Odom has the blue prints for beating the pack line
He has discovered pack line kryptonite, and it was Jairus Miles leading the way against us as well. You can bet BSC coaches will be reviewing the video of both games. UMBC shot well from 3, which is how teams beat us for the most part, but they got to the rim as well.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:NCAA shot blocking statistics for the boys who don't believe me that Marshall's guy is leading the nation:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-m ... vidual/138
Blocked Shots Per GameLast updated - March 16, 2018 Through games of March 15, 2018
RANK NAME TEAM CL HEIGHT POSITION G BLKS BKPG
1 Ajdin Penava Marshall Jr. 6-9 F 32 130 4.06
2 Mohamed Bamba Texas Fr. 6-11 F 29 108 3.72
3 Sagaba Konate West Virginia So. 6-8 F 33 109 3.30
4 Tai Odiase Ill.-Chicago Sr. 6-9 C 33 108 3.27
5 Jaren Jackson Jr. Michigan St. Fr. 6-11 F 33 104 3.15
6 Hayden Koval Central Ark. Fr. 7-0 C 33 103 3.12
7 Trayvon Reed Texas Southern --- - 29 89 3.07
#6 Hayden Koval was originally a Liberty commit. LU pulled the scholarship and he spent a year in a gap program before singing with UCA.
I was under the impression that we never actually offered a scholarship to Hayden. I know he signed a NLI with us as a preferred walk on even though he had a scholarship offer from ORU and then he decided to reclassify and play another year of homeschool ball before ending up at Central Ark. 20/20 hindsight, we pretty much wasted a schollie on Josiah Talbert that year and probably could have had Koval. The fact that the 2017 recruiting class ended up almost a total wash (Georgie being the exception) makes what we have accomplished all the more impressive IMHO.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
It’s not like we ran into teams that beat our PLD. Aka Asheville. If you hit 3’s then it’s going to open up the paint. We’ve seen it to many times this season. Unfortunately for UVA, UMBC couldn’t miss.

I was surprised to see him not switching to a zone to mix up the D a little bit to get them off their game. It worked well with us.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:It’s not like we ran into teams that beat our PLD. Aka Asheville. If you hit 3’s then it’s going to open up the paint. We’ve seen it to many times this season. Unfortunately for UVA, UMBC couldn’t miss.

I was surprised to see him not switching to a zone to mix up the D a little bit to get them off their game. It worked well with us.
You dance with who brung ya. And you wager that the 3 point shooting will cool down. It’s the statistical correct play. But that’s what makes the tournament great
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: I was under the impression that we never actually offered a scholarship to Hayden. I know he signed a NLI with us as a preferred walk on even though he had a scholarship offer from ORU and then he decided to reclassify and play another year of homeschool ball before ending up at Central Ark. 20/20 hindsight, we pretty much wasted a schollie on Josiah Talbert that year and probably could have had Koval. The fact that the 2017 recruiting class ended up almost a total wash (Georgie being the exception) makes what we have accomplished all the more impressive IMHO.
Good point olldflame. I'm not sure of the details of the offer. There was definitely interest from both sides and then something changed (happens all the time in the recruiting process). Hayden wanted to be at LU. It didn't work out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
UCONN certainly wasn’t going to worry about a 16-1 upset. 140-52!!!!!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
UConn’s women shouldn’t be blamed. SFPA plays almost a Grinnell-like system. Joe wants them shooting within 8 seconds, wants 96+ possessions per game, and won’t change his style for nobody. And why should he? Dance with who bring ya!

Speaking of that, ballah I must’ve suggested zone five times during UVA’s second half last night. I annoyed my wife I suggested it so much. I love me some Bennett, but he looked like a deer in headlights. Last night needed more than adjustments within the Pack Line, but instead something completely out of the ordinary. Even if Bennett had to draw something up in a huddle they’d never worked on. Because UMBC had them the drive-kick. Thing of beauty.

Can you guys imagine the Kansas State assistant responsible for the UMBC scouting report? He had to be scrambling all over Synergy with about 10 minutes to go. KState’s equipment guy probably had to fly back to Manhattan today to get the white jerseys!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Big game tonight but I guess I’m a little conflicted. I mean, I want WVU to win but I don’t want Marshall grads to spit on my Quarter Pounders or leave my trash cans right in the middle of my driveway.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Guard those couches in West Virginia.

I would like to see UMBC make it to final 4. I have maintained all year the way to beat UVA is to play them at their own slow pace, and shoot from 3 point land.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Big game tonight but I guess I’m a little conflicted. I mean, I want WVU to win but I don’t want Marshall grads to spit on my Quarter Pounders or leave my trash cans right in the middle of my driveway.
I’m nervous that the JV squad is really up for this game
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Guard those couches in West Virginia.

I would like to see UMBC make it to final 4. I have maintained all year the way to beat UVA is to play them at their own slow pace, and shoot from 3 point land.
I’m not sure you can say UMBC played UVA’s game. And they made an incredible amount of 3’s combined with an off night for UVA
The Big 12 could be well represented in the Sweet 16 after today
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:How about Loyola Chicago beating the Vols. 11 seed in the Sweet 16. I think they are the last packlineman standing.
How about that buzzer beater? How many have there been this year? Seems like more than years past
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I don’t want Marshall grads to spit on my Quarter Pounders or leave my trash cans right in the middle of my driveway.
JK has JOKES? :dontgetit I just don't want to see any couch burning in March. :flamethrower After Huggy Bear loses tonight, he will have the whole off season to go to rehab to try and fix his drinking problem (but living in Morgantown would drive anybody to drink).
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Huggy’s drinking problem is not limited to this year.

Couches won’t burn. When WVU wins, they’ll just be happy to be done with little brother nipping at his heels.

Go Big XII.

PH, with every upset my heart rate quickens a little. But remember what JC did to Marshall last time...
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A little history lesson for the WVU fans and alumni who can read.

Marshall is 30 years older, founded in 1837, as a college in Virginia, compared to WVU which was founded in 1867 as the Agricultural College of West Virginia (aka, a cow college). So for the past 150+ years, Marshall has been the big brother to WVU.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Athletically, Marshall is the little brother. Doesn’t mean they won’t win. But it will mean a lot more to them if they do. Cmon, that’s indisputable.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Doesn’t mean they won’t win. But it will mean a lot more to them if they do. Cmon, that’s indisputable.
Agree with the bolded part. :nod
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]