If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
[youtube]
[/youtube]

I post this video because I've read a lot of comments about whether or not the Miami shooter Newton traveled. After watching the video about a dozen times, I do not see evidence of a travel.

Thoughts from the coaches in the house?
Last edited by BJWilliams on March 1st, 2018, 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well I thought I'd get the coach insight on the rarely discussed "gather step" but if the refs wanna weigh in too they can feel free
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well I can answer from both perspectives. Ha

He started to gather his dribble with his left foot on the ground By the time he gathered his right foot was his pivot foot, he planted with his left and left the ground. His pivot foot never returned to the ground.
If you wanted to fine tooth comb it you could say his left foot was actually his pivot foot since he killed his dribble there. Thus making it a travel when his left foot returned to the ground. BUT that’s a shaky interpretation and you’d never work an ACC game again if you called it. The only people calling that a travel are UNC fans
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:stopped dribble and took 3 steps with ball, before shooting it.
When did he stop?
When did he gather?
What foot was his pivot foot at the time he ‘stopped dribble’?
Did he lift pivot foot?
Did he return pivot foot to ground?
How is this different than if he went in for a lay up?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Almost reminds me of the NBA player in All Star game one year. He caught ball at mid court, never put ball on floor and made a layup.

The Miami player never stopped forward movement, thus he never established a pivot foot. He simply ran down court and shot ball. Pivot foot comes into play when a player stops on court with the ball, or catches ball while stationary. Miami player was moving entire play. If he had stopped and established a pivot foot, clock would have expired.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Almost reminds me of the NBA player in All Star game one year. He caught ball at mid court, never put ball on floor and made a layup.

The Miami player never stopped forward movement, thus he never established a pivot foot. He simply ran down court and shot ball. Pivot foot comes into play when a player stops on court with the ball, or catches ball while stationary. Miami player was moving entire play. If he had stopped and established a pivot foot, clock would have expired.
:dontgetit

You know they don’t take the ball out of the peach basket after every basket now, right?
Maybe saying ‘pivot foot’ is confusing you. Substitute ‘Plant foot’ with ‘Pivot Foot’
Moving the entire play is irrelevant
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
not a travel by how the rule is interpreted today.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:and I have seen traveling called when a player moved his foot 1/2 inch. I seem to recall seeing this in last game I watched in Vines Center
Which foot? Context?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:not a travel by how the rule is interpreted today.
Plus on a half court heave you’re not looking at his feet for a travel. Unless it’s absolutely flagrant it’s not getting called. Exception being the NBA where it would t be called either way
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Not a travel. He dribbled, gathered, took two steps and leaped. Easy call.
Pfft. What do you know? :roll:
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
JK37 wrote:Not a travel. He dribbled, gathered, took two steps and leaped. Easy call.
Not much. Hence today’s result.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Not much. Hence today’s result.
You and me both Play Basketball
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]