If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
This is crazy but not shocking considering the league.
The Virginian-Pilot wrote:Hampton U. officials rip MEAC for "vindictive sanctions" and "unreasonable demands"

By Harry Minium
The Virginian-Pilot

NORFOLK Hampton University officials issued a blistering, four-page news release late Tuesday, accusing the MEAC of making "unreasonable demands" and hitting the Pirates with "vindictive sanctions" because the school is withdrawing next season to join the Big South Conference.

The release was made a day after the Virginian-Pilot reported that indicated Hampton will not play a MEAC football schedule in 2018, as it has requested, and is having to hustle to put a schedule together.

Hampton accused MEAC officials of refusing to discuss its exit from the league in face-to-face meetings. The league has also refused to allow Hampton to play a MEAC football schedule this fall and is fining the school unjustly, officials said.
Click Here for Full Story
That's too bad about the fine. :(
Hampton said the MEAC levied a $250,000 fine against the school...
As far as the fine is concerned, they missed the deadline, whether it was due to "negligence or bad faith" or not. Apparently the conference did not specify what the penalty was (which is a pretty significant oversight) but to be honest, $250,00 doesn't seem outrageous to me. Looks like a court somewhere will decide that. As to their refusal to communicate or allow their members to schedule Hampton, that is beyond petty, and to use an :oldhag phrase, they are "biting off their nose to spite their face". Every conference member now has an open date to fill, wasting time and resources (which are scarce for most MEAC teams.) It will be interesting to see what they do if Norfolk State follows through and defies the edict to play the Pirates to preserve the rivalry.
ballcoach15 wrote:I wonder cam Hampton take MEAC to court ? what needs to happen is maybe the MEAC be put out of business.
They can certainly litigate the amount of the fine, since the conference set a deadline but did not specify the penalty. Not sure if the MEAC trying to prohibit their member schools from scheduling games with Hampton is illegal, but it certainly sounds to me like it is a some sort of free trade violation. Looks to me like not only a vindictive strike at Hampton, but a blatant attempt to intimidate the other schools contemplating leaving (most likely Bethune-Cookman and Norfolk State.)

How on earth would it benefit anyone for this conference to be "put out of business?" They may need a change in leadership, but there is much to be lost if these schools do not have a conference affiliation, and most are not viable candidates for other conferences and could not survive as independants. I understand why the MEAC would fight to keep their members, but this is not the way to go.
Most of the focus on Onnidan and the MEAC board was on the league trying to scare Hampton's longtime archrival Howard away from jumping.

Keep in mind that most of these MEAC members have the majority of their history together in the CIAA. A MEAC without Hampton and Howard wouldn't leave a ton of reasons for NCCU (joined MEAC from DII in 2010) & Norfolk State (joined MEAC in 1997) to not follow Winston-Salem State back down to the CIAA.
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I wonder cam Hampton take MEAC to court ? what needs to happen is maybe the MEAC be put out of business.
Old white guy wants historically black schools to be put out of business.
Not all of us. :roll:

"anti-oldite". :oldhag

Good call on Howard. I forgot about them. They probably will be the next to go, although Bethune may not be far behind
I have to admit that until checking I didn't realize how many schools were in the MEAC (12 after Hampton leaves.) They could theoretically lose a few more and remain viable, although they would have to do away with the 2 division setup. Let's say Howard and B-C find new D-1 homes and Norfolk State and NCCU go back to the D-2 CIAA.... they still have 8 who probably aren't going anywhere. Problem is of course, that the schools leaving would be pretty much their best.
olldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Old white guy wants historically black schools to be put out of business.
Not all of us. :roll:

"anti-oldite". :oldhag
Wasn't saying all. Just him.
Sly Fox wrote:FAMU has no allegiance after the poor way they were received after their ill-thought FBS adventure.
In addition, if B-C leaves that would leave them without a travel partner. Problem is, where else could they go?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Howard is the most viable left.

For any one to go, someone has to want them. Howard is desirable for multiple reasons. Unless something drastic happens in Big South or ASun, who would want any of the others?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Thinking more...

Norfolk State for VA Beach market may be desirable. Plus less allegiance with arch-rival Hampton out already. But their academics are AWFUL.

Again, for sake of location, ASun could be interested in FAMU and/or B-C. But it’s a stretch.
JK37 wrote:Thinking more...

Norfolk State for VA Beach market may be desirable. Plus less allegiance with arch-rival Hampton out already. But their academics are AWFUL.

Again, for sake of location, ASun could be interested in FAMU and/or B-C. But it’s a stretch.
Big stretch. Since the A-Sun does not sponsor football, It would not be much of an alternative for any MEAC team.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:
JK37 wrote:Thinking more...

Big stretch. Since the A-Sun does not sponsor football, It would not be much of an alternative for any MEAC team.
You’re exactly right. Didn’t occur to me. And any other regional league is too far a leap for any remaining MEAC member.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]