If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Now is a good time to take a look at the slew of teams here around us that have moved up over the the past 3 to 4 years. Very interesting to see since we discussed these ad nauseam.

Coastal - they have 1 win and got crushed by an fcs western illiniois. Most games have not been competitive. Continued struggles with attendance.

Unc charlotte - total dumpster fire. They are averaging like 2 wins a year. Not sure they even have a winning record against the big south. Nobody in charlotte cares one bit.

Ga state - they have showed some improvement and sit at 2nd place in the sunbelt with a 6 and 3 overall record and the old turner field being renovated into their stadium. They seemed to have went upward since we beat them 2 years ago.

Ga southern - they had some initial success the first couple years but have fallen to 0 and 9 and fired the coach. They look to be another program that probably should have stayed at the fcs level.

App state - they sit at 6 and 4 and played in bowl game last year. They appear to be on the uptick

Odu - they are playing in cusa and have fallen back to 4 and 6. Most notably power 5 games have been completely blowouts in the last couple years. They seem to have stalled a bit.

That being said there are 3 teams who look like they could be perennial bottom 5 fbs teams in charlotte ccu and ga southern. Georgia state probably had the highest upside due to their location and future facility. App state has a solid fanbase and tradition but seem like their ceiling is an ECU. Odu is a bit of a wild card still. The tidewater isnt what it once was and their facility is not very impressive at all. However they play in the best conference of the group.

Our path is clearly different than any of these but we will have the resources, facilities, and a fan base that cares and we can recruit Whereever we need to. Will be interesting to revisit this in 2 to 3 years to see where things shake out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Good stuff. I would have thought Ga St and Ga Southern would be in opposite positions
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Now is a good time to take a look at the slew of teams here around us that have moved up over the the past 3 to 4 years. Very interesting to see since we discussed these ad nauseam.

Coastal - they have 1 win and got crushed by an fcs western illiniois. Most games have not been competitive. Continued struggles with attendance.

Unc charlotte - total dumpster fire. They are averaging like 2 wins a year. Not sure they even have a winning record against the big south. Nobody in charlotte cares one bit.

Ga state - they have showed some improvement and sit at 2nd place in the sunbelt with a 6 and 3 overall record and the old turner field being renovated into their stadium. They seemed to have went upward since we beat them 2 years ago.

Ga southern - they had some initial success the first couple years but have fallen to 0 and 9 and fired the coach. They look to be another program that probably should have stayed at the fcs level.

App state - they sit at 6 and 4 and played in bowl game last year. They appear to be on the uptick

Odu - they are playing in cusa and have fallen back to 4 and 6. Most notably power 5 games have been completely blowouts in the last couple years. They seem to have stalled a bit.

That being said there are 3 teams who look like they could be perennial bottom 5 fbs teams in charlotte ccu and ga southern. Georgia state probably had the highest upside due to their location and future facility. App state has a solid fanbase and tradition but seem like their ceiling is an ECU. Odu is a bit of a wild card still. The tidewater isnt what it once was and their facility is not very impressive at all. However they play in the best conference of the group.

Our path is clearly different than any of these but we will have the resources, facilities, and a fan base that cares and we can recruit Whereever we need to. Will be interesting to revisit this in 2 to 3 years to see where things shake out.
Agree, now we just need a competent FBS coaching staff.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Coastal is not struggling with attendance. They are averaging around 14 k in their stadium that seats 15 k.

Georgia Southern belongs in FBS way more than LU. They made a stupid decision to hire Summers. With the right coach, they will be at the top of the Sun Belt.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
What were their records during their ‘Transition Years’?
By Jonathan Carone
Georgia Southern will bounce back if they can get the right coach in there.

App definitely belongs. They've represented themselves really well. An ECU ceiling for them is about right and I'd say they'd be thrilled with that.

Charlotte is a dumpster fire.

ODU won 10 games last year so they definitely belong. I think they'll be a perennial 6-9 win team with the occasional down year like this year and occasional 10 win year like last year.

Coastal's interesting. Moglia can coach and lead a program, but I'm not sure how well he can recruit. You'd think they'd have a better roster than they do right now. I have a higher view of Coastal's ceiling (top half of the Sun Belt yearly) than most do around here.

As for transition years:

(FCS transitional first, FBS transitional second)

ODU: 8-4, 6-6
Charlotte: 5-6, 2-10
Georgia Southern: 7-4, 9-3
Appalachian State: 4-8, 7-5
Georgia State: 1-10, 0-12
South Alabama: 6-4, 2-11
Coastal Carolina: 10-2, 1-9
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Sure thats the number reported but we all know how that works. My cousin is retired and lives there and has went to 2 or 3 games this year. I also have a friend from high school that works there in the know. They both estimate about 10k in true avg attendance with 14k being the high. Then read their message board. Tons of complaining about lack of attendance and fan enthusiasm.

Also completely disagree on gsu. Facilities and resources are ok but they coastal app state ga state jmu lu and central florida fau odu and ecu are all recruiting the same kids they are. I dont like their chances in most of those situations and with their triple option style.

Transition records are not a great comparison imho because each team does it differently. Coastal played a total cream puff schedule last year. In fact we were probably the 3rd or 4th best team they played. Compare that to our schedule next year. No comparison.
By Jonathan Carone
The true comparison is us this year vs Coastal last year and us next year vs Coastal this year. Those are the schedules to compare if you’re wanting to play that game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I can't figure out how ODU went from flag football to FBS so quickly.if we ever get a good defense, I think we will be successful in FBS.
By CCWMichael
flameshaw wrote:
jinxy wrote:Now is a good time to take a look at the slew of teams here around us that have moved up over the the past 3 to 4 years. Very interesting to see since we discussed these ad nauseam.

Agree, now we just need a competent FBS coaching staff.
Don't be shy 8)
By R i
Registration Days Posts
However you view the transition is indicative how you view who our coach next year should be.

If you think it is a time of vulnerability and we need a steady influence, that will not give the program a huge black eye, you may see Gill as the man for the transition job.

If you think that the transition period is a time to shine and prove we belong, I doubt you feel Gill is the man for the job.
By Jonathan Carone
I like what App did. They knew Jerry Moore wasn't the guy to lead them to FBS so they moved on from him, brought Satterfield in, and gave him the latitude to do what he felt best to navigate the transition. It's paid off really well for them.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]