If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LU Alum 2016
All of this talk about Liberty is fantastic but given our current state sitting at 3-4 it has got me a little down, although I’ll always root for Liberty! Given that, how about a new thread where we can have some fun and talk about potential CFP scenarios. Such as, can we take TCU, and UGA seriously? Should they expand the playoff to 6 teams, 8 teams, or stay at 4. Does Clemson still have a chance with a bad loss. I think this could be a lot of fun. So I will start by asking this what if the playoff expanded to 6 teams where every P5 champion gets in then the highest G5 would have the final spot in the playoff. Essentially creating Conference championship games as the first round of the playoffs.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The 4 teams should be Alabama, Penn State, Georgia and ACC Champion. or maybe TCU.

But the selection committee will probably include Ohio State and Notre Dame. Actually those 2 teams are probably already selected, but it's being kept a secret. Committee proved last year that their integrity and football knowledge is lacking, by having Ohio State in playoffs, when the Buckholes could not win their own division in a weak conference.
By Ewglenn
UGA is legit but they won't get in because of bama. Clemson still has a shot because of their strength of schedule. TCU is a pretender. Miami has an easy schedule and could sneak in if they catch Clemson sleeping in the ACC championship game. The question I pose is, assuming USF and UCF run the table, would the winner of that game get in over a 2 loss P5 champion (someone like Clemson or Ohio State).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Love the thread. Might need to be moved to Non LU Sports
WVU will fade down the stretch I guarantee
By LU Alum 2016
I would say if UCF or USF go undefeated they would yet again be left out. committee loves to cry out “fairness” but in total honesty they all have pre conceived notions of every team who is on the potential list of playoff candidates. I would not be surprised if two BigTen teams get in. Looking at Ohio St and Penn State. Even Wisconsin looks good. Obviously Penn St is the better team (right now) but its been shown that the committee has a soft spot for Urban Meyer. But my thoughts are simple if you can not win your conference you should not make the playoff. (Even if you are. “a better team”. Conference championships should be valued higher than just passing the eye test. This in my opinion is where the Playoff is goingto anyway and in 5 to 10 years it will force ND to join a conference. But also i am not even sure Clemson is in with Bryant being a ? and NC State rising Clemson could very well end up on the outside looking in.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If Big 10 gets 2 teams in, the ACC, SEC, and Big 12 should rebell, and refuse to acknowledge the B10 even exists in the future. Refuse to play B10 schools in regular season in any sport. Also the other D1 conferences should do the same. I am not sure Big 10 will even deserve 1 team in, unless Penn State goes undefeated. They play a weak schedule, compared to others.
By LU Alum 2016
I know you mentioned Big Ten plays easy schedules and that may be out of conference... but in conference it is a blood path, Michigan, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin. That is more ranked teams than theacc who many beleive to be the best P5 conference. The only team that has a chance to go undefeated is penn st but even they still have to play Ohio St. But Ultimately it will get sorted out just as the Big 12 and SEC will. UGA andBama have not played yet and they will probably face each other in tbe championship game. Whoever wins that takes the playoff spot for the SEC. Miami i would say is a year away from being a legitimate contender for the CFP.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If Georgia and Alabama are both undefeated in SEC championship game, I can see the loser also going to playoffs unless it's a blowout. When 2 good teams play, one will lose. By same token , when 2 over rated Big 10 teams play, one will win and one will lose.
There is one phrase that has already decided the outcome of the season. . . "WE WANT BAMA".

Nick Saban is more ticked this year than in the last few. Which means trouble for those in their path.

And yes, I am biased towards the Tide :D
By LU Alum 2016
@ thepostman

I Love the ACC Big NC State fan. But I dont really think the ACC is the best conference. I would say probably 2 or 3. But when referencing Depth the acc is very deep many bowl eligible teams in there. Also they had the best out of conference record within the P5 last year. Also best bowl record of any P5 conference last year. Granted that was last year. But Syracuse is better UVA is better... i could continue. But in my opinion the Big 10 is by far the best conference AT THE TOP. (Danny Kannell BTW is one of these people that said ACC is the best, there are also others). As I said earlier if you can not win your conference then no playoff for you. So if SEC comes down to UGA and Bama. Winner gets to playoff loser goes to some other New year 6 game.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Of the Power 5 conferences, the Big 10 is the worst. The media and Pollsters suck up to B10 and give them lofty rankings. If they played an SEC type schedule, they'd be lucky to go .500
When I think of the top teams, only Penn State comes to mind from B10.
By LU Alum 2016
ballcoach15 wrote:Of the Power 5 conferences, the Big 10 is the worst. The media and Pollsters suck up to B10 and give them lofty rankings. If they played an SEC type schedule, they'd be lucky to go .500
So lets look at Michigan people either love what Michigan is doing or they hate what Michigan is doing. So hypthothetically Michigan plays Louisville or VT in the acc. Who wins. Well I would say with confidence Michigan beats both of them. Why? Well good teams are built inside out Tech and LVille (both respected programs) are offense flashy. Michigan is simply bigger up front. To me success boils down to interior line play. And the top teams in the Big 10 are just better in that regard. The problem here the Big 10 is top heavy, the acc is deep. PutMichigan in tbe ACC or Pac 12 they are probably a top 20 to top 15 team in the polls. It also depends on how you choose to evaluate Conference success do you value depth more or CFP caliber teams more. So clearly the ACC is deeper and is better overral but the Big 10 has more High caliber playoff caliber teams.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
thats pretty absurd. not the dumbest thing you've said but close. by sheer MATH the big 10 has 7 schools with SOS's ranking in the top 25. the SEC only 4. because outside of georgia bama and auburn, the rest of the SEC is an absolute dog. florida and lsu are only mediocre.

the big 10 has penn st, osu, mich, wisc, iowa, MSU, and other teams that are at least respectable.

Wisc has played nobody. they are the only paper tiger in the bunch. well Michigan is who we thought they were but they are still a 9-3 squad.

do you even watch college football. we are talking about football and not field hockey.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
regarding the playoff, i think OSU wins the big 10, OU wins the big 12, Stanford wins the Pac 12, and bama wins the SEC. in the ACC, i think it ends up being clemson.

that being said, i think only OSU and Bama are as close to a lock as you can get. I think ND can win out and will get the 3rd spot if thats the case, and i think Clemson will get the 4th spot, leaving out the big 12 again and the Pac 12.

but obviously lots of football left.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
LU Alum 2016 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Of the Power 5 conferences, the Big 10 is the worst. The media and Pollsters suck up to B10 and give them lofty rankings. If they played an SEC type schedule, they'd be lucky to go .500
So lets look at Michigan people either love what Michigan is doing or they hate what Michigan is doing. So hypthothetically Michigan plays Louisville or VT in the acc. Who wins. Well I would say with confidence Michigan beats both of them. Why? Well good teams are built inside out Tech and LVille (both respected programs) are offense flashy. Michigan is simply bigger up front. To me success boils down to interior line play. And the top teams in the Big 10 are just better in that regard. The problem here the Big 10 is top heavy, the acc is deep. PutMichigan in tbe ACC or Pac 12 they are probably a top 20 to top 15 team in the polls. It also depends on how you choose to evaluate Conference success do you value depth more or CFP caliber teams more. So clearly the ACC is deeper and is better overral but the Big 10 has more High caliber playoff caliber teams.
What michigan is doing is fine. the last 2 years Harbaugh has had jr's and seniors. Thats been a major difference. Hoke got some RR carryover on offense and is a good defensive recruiter. What he was horrible at was offensive recruiting which left harbaugh with 0 QB recruits and a 2013, 2014, and 2015 recruiting class (harbaugh was a late hire in 2015 and didn't have much of his own recruiting going on) that was void of any offensive talent. obviously those 2013/14 recruits would be jr's and sr's now.

thus, you have marginal talent at those positions currently. their best players are sophmores. you lose your starting LT/QB/WR and you don't have much in the tank to fall back on.

meanwhile they have one of the youngest but most dominant defenses in the country (who is prone to bad games being that they are so young)

and you have Peters and McCaffery just itching to start getting snaps. I think harbaugh showed enough loyalty to speight this year to keep him (speight was servicable before he got hurt last year) and once he went out with a loss under the belt knowing that they weren't ready for championship, saved the snaps from peter and went okorn.

There are lots of ticked off people in Ann Arbor right now but the reality is that everything will ultimately probably be fine.
By LU Alum 2016
@ RubberMallet

Could not agree more! Harbough is a fantastic coach and it is going to tale more than 2 or 3 years to fully implement his system. I was merely pointing out tbe fact that they still would probably beat most other P5 teams. But they are burdoned with being with in the Big 10 which simply has a lot of great teams at the top.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i think their defense is enough to stifle most p5 offenses except some of the top dogs. even the big 10 has a lot of middlign teams. there aren't many just flat out turds. illinois and rutgers might be it. indiana, northwestern, purdue, Minnesota, maryland, iowa are no cupcakes. they aren't "contenders" so to speak but can beat you on a good day

i'm not even sure harbaugh is even REALLY a great college coach. he lucked into Luck and had success in the NFL but that isn't much of a track record. time will tell. outside of meyer and saban all these other coaches aren't terribly consistent.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]