If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Assistant basketball coaches from Auburn, Southern Cal, Arizona and Okalhoma State have been arrested by FBI in a Fraud investigation involving apparel or shoe companies. among others. This could get really bad, because it may go far beyond those 4 schools. It could filter down to even the AAU level, where a lot of money exchanges hands "under the table".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chuck Person got busted! I'm waiting for UK to get busted
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
UK and Louisville also. I hear Louisville is involved in this investigation, but no one arrested..........yet. It was something about a recruit was paid to go there with money from the shoe company.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Rifleman was always a good guy to deal with in his playing days. But POST-NATION contract life causes many to go south.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When Louisville joined ACC, I said they were one of most rogue colleges in America pertaining to athletics. I hope NCAA gives them the death penalty in every sport.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Nike has been subpoenaed and Pitino has been named as being directly correlated to one of the investigations. listed as coach #2 in the initial report. This is about to blow up and College basketball at the major level is about to change in a big way.
By Class of 20Something
flamesfilmguy wrote:Nike has been subpoenaed and Pitino has been named as being directly correlated to one of the investigations. listed as coach #2 in the initial report. This is about to blow up and College basketball at the major level is about to change in a big way.
College Basketball will collapse unless the NBA imposes the same rule the NFL has on 3 years of separation. Then we will argue about the universities using the likeness of the players for gain.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote:Nike has been subpoenaed and Pitino has been named as being directly correlated to one of the investigations. listed as coach #2 in the initial report. This is about to blow up and College basketball at the major level is about to change in a big way.
College Basketball will collapse unless the NBA imposes the same rule the NFL has on 3 years of separation. Then we will argue about the universities using the likeness of the players for gain.
We can always hope. If LU didn't play basketball, I would never watch another bb game. Quit watching NBA about 10 years ago. Haven't missed it at all. Bunch of over-paid, narcissistic, thugs with an unhealthy obsession with over-priced sneakers, of all things.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
We can always hope. If LU didn't play basketball, I would never watch another bb game. Quit watching NBA about 10 years ago. Haven't missed it at all. Bunch of over-paid, narcissistic, thugs with an unhealthy obsession with over-priced sneakers, of all things.
Who are the thugs in the league right now? Honest question.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I love when people just throw out stereotypes about the NBA but at the same time admit they haven't watched in years. I love the NBA product of today. It did go through a rough patch about 10 to 15 years ago but it is very entertaining. Sports is much more enjoyable if you stop listening to sports talk radio or ESPN.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
College basketball is in trouble. Bad thing about this whole situation, the NCAA knew about it, but pretended not to know. It's been happening for years and originated at AAU level. When you see high school players play at 4 different schools in their career in high school, $$$$$ probably exchanged hands with each transfer. I have a feeling the March Madness field will be missing some big names come March.

The last NBA game I watched was back when Dennis Rodman was playing for Pistons. I would not watch one today, if it was in Vines Center. Only college games I watch are LU, a couple Virginia Tech games and maybe the Duke-North Carolina game.
basketball is terrible today, compared to the old days. Bad announcers, too many TV time-outs, bad officials, etc. Give me Women's Softball any day over basketball.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
As a passionate fan of WOMEN'S basketball, even I cringe at that Ballcoach!

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

One look at an ESPN Classic showing of a Duke/UNC game from the early 90's easily shows the incredible difference physically in today's athletes vs. yesteryear. You may not like the way the game is delivered by television, but there's no question that the quality of game play and entertainment level is at an all-time high.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I started watching college basketball in the mid 60s. Even back then , it was much better than today. Back then, no one cared what shoes the team wore, no TV time-outs, and Billy Packer was a better announcer than Dick Vitale.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Nothing you said actually spoke about the actual game. For being a guy who seems stuck on how unimportant that other stuff is you spend a lot of time talking about it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I started watching college basketball in the mid 60s. Even back then , it was much better than today. Back then, no one cared what shoes the team wore, no TV time-outs, and Billy Packer was a better announcer than Dick Vitale.
They were also on tape delay. You MAYBE saw one or two games a weekend
And there weren't many shoe options to begin with. Trainers also thought giving players water was a sign of weakness and being out of shape. And that lifting weights was bad for basketball players. Also, pretty sure Billy Packer wasn't calling games Nationally in the 60's
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Nothing you said actually spoke about the actual game. For being a guy who seems stuck on how unimportant that other stuff is you spend a lot of time talking about it.
You know he has to have a pretty extensive shoe collection. Obviously all the Jordans. Karl Malones and Kareem's LA Gear. Probably even Karl's Kangaroos. Dominique Wilkins Brooks, Spud Webb's Pony's and Ralph Sampson Pro Keds. Of course it goes without saying he still wears The Pumps by Dee Brown and Reebok.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Of course the NCAA has known about the shoe company money game, but what has been the incentive for them to stop it? The shoe companies provide all of the gear/uniforms/equipment, not only for basketball, but for just about every NCAA sport...you think these schools want to pay out of pocket for those items? And even if they cared to stop it, they can't wire-tap or investigate to the level that the FBI can...the NCAA has to wait for someone to slip up openly (or get snitched on by somebody else)...the FBI has more effective methods at their disposal.

And the NBA/thug association makes no sense to me...If you're talking about off the court, when's the last time there's been an NBA player in the news for something bad off the court (I guess maybe Zach Randolph's recent weed possession is one, but compared to the domestic violence issues that have come up in the NFL and MLB in recent years, the NBA seems pretty 'clean' in comparison)? I'm struggling to think of many in recent years. And if you're talking about on the court, isn't one of the criticisms of the NBA now is that it isn't as 'tough' as it used to be, and that the fouls aren't as hard, etc? I mean, who could you even legitimately label as a thug in the league at this point? I'm not going to say that anyone has to like the NBA, but thinking it is the same league as the one from the late 90s (when there were some problems) is very much out of touch from reality.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
his sports safespace is highschool girls softball
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:his sports safespace is highschool girls softball
Which is in no way odd...
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:his sports safespace is highschool girls softball
Which is in no way odd...