If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I spent 20 years in the U.S. Army. I know a little something about paying respect to the National Anthem.

I also spent enough time in Washington, DC and Northern Virginia to know a little about Snowflakes.
somehow their protesting somehow creates a wormhole through the time space continuum to somehow affect your time while you were in the military? Godspeed friend.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I spent 20 years in the U.S. Army. I know a little something about paying respect to the National Anthem.

I also spent enough time in Washington, DC and Northern Virginia to know a little about Snowflakes.
I don't know anyone that served that didn't bolt inside or stay in their car at 1700. Your service doesn't make your opinion any more valid that anyone else's.

This isn't about respecting the flag or the anthem. It is about police brutality and the racism that remains in America. It does not matter how few there are, bad cops are not acceptable.

What would have to happen in our country for these players to stand? I want President Trump to say, "While we love our men and women in blue, there are those among them that work outside the law and hide behind the badge. They are not acceptable. In addition to asking every serving officer to hold each other to the standard, we are setting up(Or using an existing agency) a task force to address this issue. I want to thank the players in the NFL that used a peaceful protest to bring attention to this issue. I am inviting some leaders of this movement to the White House to discuss further solutions to ensure that every American knows they are equal. "
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:

I don't know anyone that served that didn't bolt inside or stay in their car at 1700. Your service doesn't make your opinion any more valid that anyone else's.

This isn't about respecting the flag or the anthem. It is about police brutality and the racism that remains in America. It does not matter how few there are, bad cops are not acceptable.

What would have to happen in our country for these players to stand? I want President Trump to say, "While we love our men and women in blue, there are those among them that work outside the law and hide behind the badge. They are not acceptable. In addition to asking every serving officer to hold each other to the standard, we are setting up(Or using an existing agency) a task force to address this issue. I want to thank the players in the NFL that used a peaceful protest to bring attention to this issue. I am inviting some leaders of this movement to the White House to discuss further solutions to ensure that every American knows they are equal. "
:clapping
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am currently serving and can only speak my personal experience but most I work with think it's disrespectful but at the end of the day couldn't care less because it has zero effect on their day to day lives. One thing I won't do is pretend my view point speaks for the entire military. We all have our own opinions and to pawn off a certain ideology as the sole view of the military is far more disrespectful than some athlete taking a knee on Sundays and politicians pull that crap all the time.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thought it was uncool for Tomlin to say he was disappointed that he didn't have 100% participation of the Steelers locker room protest. Tone deaf.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Read them and he continues to be a good soldier. But even Big Ben is breaking ranks to defend the position these guys are putting Villanueva in.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Tomlins comments didn't sit well with me initially but after seeing villanueva's take on it I understood them better. I still think he would of been better off keeping his mouth shut but apparently that is going around a lot these days.

One could argue that your comments are a bit tone deaf as well, sly.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:its all entirely stupid. on both sides. standing or kneeling for the anthem affects my life like .001%. so while i have an opinion on whether or not one should stand or kneel or if they have the right to or even if what they are kneeling for is a valid appeal, i don't care because yesterday will have absolutely 0 say in how my week goes.
This. While we're all about the whole kneeling controversy, I'd like to point out a few things:
1. N. Korea is threatening to shoot down our jets. The saber rattling between us and them grows louder.
2. There is a humanitarian crisis in the Caribbean due to Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Jose and Hurricane Maria.
3. The Middle East: Yeah, still war going on there.
4. Germany's "far right," AfD just won a significant number of seats in the Bundestag, making Chancellor Merkel's job much harder as she attempts to lead her country and the EU.
5. The Republican healthcare bill is essentially dead on arrival now.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts

It takes a snowflake to know a snowflake.
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:Yeah Atrain it is odd how much is just being ignored to focus on this crap. From both the media and POTUS
To that point

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu.

I would not put it past Mattis to orchestrate our "focus" for the sake of an advantage.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Yeah Atrain it is odd how much is just being ignored to focus on this crap. From both the media and POTUS
Honestly I think POTUS is using it as a means to distract his base from his abysmal failure to repeal Obamacare, and perhaps his eventual toning down of the rhetoric w/ N. Korea. The media just happens to be buying into this hook, line and sinker.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:You should probsbly read villanueva's comments so you understand Tomlins comments in context. Just sayin...
At first I didn't like what the Steelers were doing. But the more I thought about it the more I liked it from the controversy and a coaching standpoint. I'm not sure Tomlin 'ripped' anyone unless I missed something. He said that he thought they'd get 100% participation but didn't. That's not really ripping anyone. I thought James Harrison was a little out of line but not Tomlin. It just seemed that everyone in the locker room knew Villanueva would be out and up for the Anthem regardless because he was a special exception. The players seemed ok with it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I disagree with your statement on the President ignoring those things. He is tweeting about rocket man! But seriously he did sign a new immigration EO that added NoKo and Venezuela. He's positioning troops to counter Kim. Humanitarian aide is flowing into Texas and Florida etc. (although the media is trying to now make PR Trumps Katrina) ISIS is retreating. Stock market doing well.
The Health Care bill, IMO, is all on Congress. Collins and McCain specifically. I know Paul is against but he is on principles and has been consistent so I give him a pass.

I say all that not to cheerlead for Trump, but to say you have to dig to find coverage of these things from the media. Or at best they get 1 story to every 5 on kneeling NFL players
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
I disagree with your statement on the President ignoring those things. He is tweeting about rocket man! But seriously he did sign a new immigration EO that added NoKo and Venezuela. He's positioning troops to counter Kim. Humanitarian aide is flowing into Texas and Florida etc. (although the media is trying to now make PR Trumps Katrina) ISIS is retreating. Stock market doing well.
The Health Care bill, IMO, is all on Congress. Collins and McCain specifically. I know Paul is against but he is on principles and has been consistent so I give him a pass.

I say all that not to cheerlead for Trump, but to say you have to dig to find coverage of these things from the media. Or at best they get 1 story to every 5 on kneeling NFL players
Yeah. That's true. The media is absolutely terrible. You have to really look and dig for great journalism.

The news is always on at work and it is just mind numbing no matter what cable network is on.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think 45 realized the protests were about racism and oppression.

I've read others theorize this but I find that really hard to believe. Trump is much smarter than people give him credit for. If what you say is in fact true then that would make me question his mental health.

He knows why he is doing what he is doing but he may be the only one.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think 45 realized the protests were about racism and oppression.

I've read others theorize this but I find that really hard to believe. Trump is much smarter than people give him credit for. If what you say is in fact true then that would make me question his mental health.

He knows why he is doing what he is doing but he may be the only one.
I don't think MOST people understand what the protest is about. People simply don't equate The Flag or The Anthem with the Police. It's associated with the Armed Forces. So people rightfully are confused
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:If people don't know then they either are not paying attention or stupid. The media didn't stop questioning kap for months about it.
Listen to the interviews. The people are talking about it being 'Unpatriotic' a slap in the face to the Military. Heck, those kneeling have no coherent message. This weekend it was mostly a big FU to Trump. Or it's about 'Inequality'. Or it's about something else. People know why Kap did it. It's not registering why anyone else is
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote:If people don't know then they either are not paying attention or stupid. The media didn't stop questioning kap for months about it.
My mother in law was in town this weekend. While my wife and I were talking about the comments. I mentioned the race aspect and she looked at me confused and said she didn’t see where 45 mentioned race. She had no clue where the protests originated.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Tomlin wanted 100% participation. I watched Vilanueva's interview and think he was trying his best to smooth things over for Tomlin, but Tomlin made a bad decision. The players have a right to protest, but there is a proper time and place. I don't approve of them kneeling, even though they have the right to do so. And the fans have a right to vote with their feet or voice their displeasure on social media.

I grew up in Western PA, and I am a big Steelers fan. And I was thinking about something.

Let's go back in time. I think Obama was running for election or relection. He was at a fundraiser in California, I think, and he was playing to his audience. He said, people in small towns of places like Pennsylvania, the manufacturing's gone, industry's gone. They haven't had decent jobs in 25 years...so some of them, they are naturally bitter, clinging to their guns and religion.

The host asked a followup question, Why do you think they blame you?

President Obama's next three words, "Because they are racist".

After further review, I can not find any audio or video of President Obama saying those words about racism.
He may have been mischaracterized by a commentator. EDITED 9/26/17

Nothing Like insulting a large majority of small town Pennsylvania people.

But I don't recall any Steelers kneeling for the anthem in protest.

Now, to Obama's credit, it didnt take him long to apologize for that remark, and he quickly said it was something like the most boneheaded comment of his political career. But still, in original context, President Obama was playing to an audience, he offended many, and yet I don't remember any protests.

I do not believe the anthem is the time for protest. But I do wish Trump would do what Obama did, and say, you know what, that was a boneheaded comment. But then he could go on to explain his feelings, he could just say, but I don't feel that the time during an anthem is a proper time to protest...I feel it disrespects those who have served, those who are serving, and the families of those that make the ultimate sacrifice, and it is my humble wish that those NFL players would think about that before taking a knee. Think about how this offends many. Think about the mom & pop shops that sell Jerseys, and how your chosen time of protest may affect their business and ability to make sales. - I think if he took an apptoach like that outcome would be much better.

But I still think the players are wrong for kneeling, even though they have the right to do so.
Last edited by jimflamesfan on September 26th, 2017, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I should have said, staying in the tunnel as opposed to kneeling. But you get the point.

And on one hand, Villenueva says he didnt tell the Steelers ehat he was doing, so they didnt have the oppertunity to join him...they would have had to move during the anthem. I just don't buy that. It looked like they were about 10 feet behind them, and thr same people that choose not to come out are all of a sudden scared to move 10 feet forwards? Vilenueva not only serves his country, he also makes tries to make the sacrifice for the team.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]