If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:Tomlin wanted 100% participation. I watched Vilanueva's interview and think he was trying his best to smooth things over for Tomlin, but Tomlin made a bad decision. The players have a right to protest, but there is a proper time and place. I don't approve of them kneeling, even though they have the right to do so. And the fans have a right to vote with their feet or voice their displeasure on social media.

I grew up in Western PA, and I am a big Steelers fan. And I was thinking about something.

Let's go back in time. I think Obama was running for election or relection. He was at a fundraiser in California, I think, and he was playing to his audience. He said, people in small towns of places like Pennsylvania, the manufacturing's gone, industry's gone. They haven't had decent jobs in 25 years...so some of them, they are naturally bitter, clinging to their guns and religion.

The host asked a followup question, Why do you think they blame you?

President Obama's next three words, "Because they are racist".

Nothing Like insulting a large majority of small town Pennsylvania people.

But I don't recall any Steelers kneeling for the anthem in protest.

Now, to Obama's credit, it didnt take him long to apologize for that remark, and he quickly said it was something like the most boneheaded comment of his political career. But still, in original context, President Obama was playing to an audience, he offended many, and yet I don't remember any protests.

I do not believe the anthem is the time for protest. But I do wish Trump would do what Obama did, and say, you know what, that was a boneheaded comment. But then he could go on to explain his feelings, he could just say, but I don't feel that the time during an anthem is a proper time to protest...I feel it disrespects those who have served, those who are serving, and the families of those that make the ultimate sacrifice, and it is my humble wish that those NFL players would think about that before taking a knee. Think about how this offends many. Think about the mom & pop shops that sell Jerseys, and how your chosen time of protest may affect their business and ability to make sales. - I think if he took an apptoach like that outcome would be much better.

But I still think the players are wrong for kneeling, even though they have the right to do so.
Do you have a link to the bolded quote? I remember the speech he made, but don’t recall him saying what is bolded.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
He said it, and he's still repeating it. I can't find the original, but here is him still saying the same thing in 2015. http://www.investors.com/politics/edito ... jerk-fears/

After further review, I am not sure that Barak Obama said the part in bold. Please disregard the post above. :)
Last edited by jimflamesfan on September 26th, 2017, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think that often times the term racist is misused. I would dare say the majority of people in this country aren't racist and when people throw that word out so easily it often causes a divide that is not necessary. With that said everybody consciously and subconsciously has some sort of bias. Whether that is racial bias, economic bias, etc. These biases in which we operate often dictate how we react to certain situations. These biases come to be by the surrounding in which we grow up and the things we see around us. It is the very reason why some people look at cops a certain way and others view them in a completely different way. Our biases often hinder us in having meaningful dialogue where people actually grow to understand each other.

Social media has taken these biases and put them all out there for people to see regularly and continue to hinder meaningful dialogue.

I am certain an entire thesis could be written about this very topic and probably has but we do each other an injustice by painting everything with some sort of racial bias as racist. We also do each other an injustice when we refuse that we may have some racial or economical biases in our lives. It just may be in our blind spot and it takes someone else to point it out but often times when someone tries to point it out it is done in such a way more damage is done.

Maybe I am in just a thinking kind of mood this morning but those are my thoughts that nobody here asked for. I am sure there are typos and grammatical errors throughout that BJ will cringe at.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I think that often times the term racist is misused. I would dare say the majority of people in this country aren't racist and when people throw that word out so easily it often causes a divide that is not necessary. With that said everybody consciously and subconsciously has some sort of bias. Whether that is racial bias, economic bias, etc. These biases in which we operate often dictate how we react to certain situations. These biases come to be by the surrounding in which we grow up and the things we see around us. It is the very reason why some people look at cops a certain way and others view them in a completely different way. Our biases often hinder us in having meaningful dialogue where people actually grow to understand each other.

Social media has taken these biases and put them all out there for people to see regularly and continue to hinder meaningful dialogue.

I am certain an entire thesis could be written about this very topic and probably has but we do each other an injustice by painting everything with some sort of racial bias as racist. We also do each other an injustice when we refuse that we may have some racial or economical biases in our lives. It just may be in our blind spot and it takes someone else to point it out but often times when someone tries to point it out it is done in such a way more damage is done.

Maybe I am in just a thinking kind of mood this morning but those are my thoughts that nobody here asked for. I am sure there are typos and grammatical errors throughout that BJ will cringe at.
No crap? Really? :dontgetit
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
The more I think about it, the "Because they are racist" that Obama said multiple times could not have been said in 2008. He has definitely said it after 2008. I have to be getting these interviews confused, Because in 2008 he was running for first term. So there's no way that the follow up question could have been, why did the people blame you. Because he wasn't the incumbent at that time. Sorry!
Just to clarify. So he did make the small town Pennsylvanias cling to guns and religion in 2008, but the because they are racist comment came later and was repeated in 2015. I jumbled it together in my mind. So his comments were not as bad as I thought. But still...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I think that often times the term racist is misused. I would dare say the majority of people in this country aren't racist and when people throw that word out so easily it often causes a divide that is not necessary. With that said everybody consciously and subconsciously has some sort of bias. Whether that is racial bias, economic bias, etc. These biases in which we operate often dictate how we react to certain situations. These biases come to be by the surrounding in which we grow up and the things we see around us. It is the very reason why some people look at cops a certain way and others view them in a completely different way. Our biases often hinder us in having meaningful dialogue where people actually grow to understand each other.

No crap? Really? :dontgetit
Thanks, ballcoach.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Anyone else disturbed by Jrs lastest tweet? Retweeting Bannon’s quote?

Call me what you want but getting on your knees every night and being thankful for Trump is so messed up In so many ways. Some of the Christian leaders in general has been sad with the way they’ve been responseding like Jeffress and Burns.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Anyone else disturbed by Jrs lastest tweet? Retweeting Bannon’s quote?

Call me what you want but getting on your knees every night and being thankful for Trump is so messed up In so many ways. Some of the Christian leaders in general has been sad with the way they’ve been responseding like Jeffress and Burns.
Considering the alternative was HRC I have no problem with it
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Anyone else disturbed by Jrs lastest tweet? Retweeting Bannon’s quote?

I get why people voted for Trump over Hillary but I will never understand how and why so many evangelical leaders (not including Jr because he is just a college president) continually to justify Trump's behavior and make him sound like some kind of godsend. It will never make sense to me. I agree with some of his politics but he has used the church just like every other politician has done and in some cases it has been a bit worse because he has brought people within the church who are respectable people down to his level.

As Trump would say. Sad.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:

I get why people voted for Trump over Hillary but I will never understand how and why so many evangelical leaders (not including Jr because he is just a college president) continually to justify Trump's behavior and make him sound like some kind of godsend. It will never make sense to me. I agree with some of his politics but he has used the church just like every other politician has done and in some cases it has been a bit worse because he has brought people within the church who are respectable people down to his level.

As Trump would say. Sad.
I grew up in the 80's. The Bakker's, Roberts, Swaggart, even Jerry were Evangelical leaders. They had their foibles fo sho. But this is crazy World when JR and Trump are being considered Evangelical leaders
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah it really is. I understand that politically a lot of people agree with trump, I agree with him on a lot of issues as well, and I know that is where you fall PH but propping him up into this roll as some kind of Christian superhero is just insanity. Glad you think so as well, haha.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Speaking of the National Anthem we need to position a staff member on the sidewalk leading to the student side to signal when ours starts. You don't realize it's playing over there and you're walking right under the flag. Sister pointed out to me last game.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
On a somewhat related note has anybody read the U.S. Flag Code. If we are going by that the flag is pretty much disrespected daily.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml;jses ... ion=prelim

And just for fun here is some fake news for you in regards to the history of the national anthem prior to sporting events. What I found most interesting is NFL players coming out for the national anthem is a pretty new development.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/25/us/nfl-na ... index.html
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:He said it, and he's still repeating it. I can't find the original, but here is him still saying the same thing in 2015. http://www.investors.com/politics/edito ... jerk-fears/
The link you provided includes a transcript of the interview and it doesn’t seem like that quote is there. I’m not sure if he actually said it, or your source made some pretty big assumptions.

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
You can refuse to believe he said it if you want. That's your right.

The media always did a good job of covering for Obama and burying his controversial comments.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:You can refuse to believe he said it if you want. That's your right.

The media always did a good job of covering for Obama and burying his controversial comments.
Really? If you claim someone said something, provide a source for the quote. Isn’t this how #fakenews works?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think 45 realized the protests were about racism and oppression.
this week wasn't about that in my opinion, it was a big "screw you" to the president which i think it entirely justified (Trump from 2013 would also agree apparently) even though i might of done it differently and not during the anthem.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:Or the media buries it. That's how they cover.
You do realize that nothing on the internet disappears. You can find a clip of almost anything if it was ever recorded and uploaded.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:Or the media buries it. That's how they cover.
The onus is on you to provide proof that he said it and is still repeating it. You don’t think Breitbart or Fox News would have been all over this? You’re spreading what is apparently misinformation and don’t even care. Blame the liberals is always the answer I guess.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
Adam, sorry, I already deleted about the Media buring it. The more I think about this, I think I am adding to the problem. At the time, it would have been possible for me to hear someone say that Barak Obama said that, and I took them at their word. I WAS SO MAD!!!

AND I'M STILL MAD RIGHT NOW because I don't think disrespecting the flag is a way to get a point across, and I do think any boycot will hurt the smaller guys...peeple that sell jerseys or work at stadiums, or in pr, more than the players themselves.

I watched the video, and you are correct that what the writer said did not match what the president said. I believe that this was said again...but it still could have been a commentator saying that Barak Obama said that, and he did not actualy say it.

Since I can find no link of it, I will edit my original post. I do want want to be inaccurate. I was wrong to post it without making for certain that that was what was said. I am sorry. :(
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
jimflamesfan wrote:Adam, sorry, I already deleted about the Media buring it. The more I think about this, I think I am adding to the problem. At the time, it would have been possible for me to hear someone say that Barak Obama said that, and I took them at their word. I WAS SO MAD!!!

AND I'M STILL MAD RIGHT NOW because I don't think disrespecting the flag is a way to get a point across, and I do think any boycot will hurt the smaller guys...peeple that sell jerseys or work at stadiums, or in pr, more than the players themselves.

I watched the video, and you are correct that what the writer said did not match what the president said. I believe that this was said again...but it still could have been a commentator saying that Barak Obama said that, and he did not actualy say it.

Since I can find no link of it, I will edit my original post. I do want want to be inaccurate. I was wrong to post it without making for certain that that was what was said. I am sorry. :(
Thanks. That’s how productive dialogue starts.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]