If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
New Butler MBB coach LaVall Jordan, who was hired to replace Chris Holtman when he departed for Ohio State, has hired his fellow assistant at Michigan, Jeff Meyer. Jeff is a native Hoosier, and I think it's safe to say he has been looking for the right opportunity to return for what may likely be his last coaching job (Meyer is 62).

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.s ... an_to.html

Cue Jim Nabors
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Rule question: If you have to mention JM every time RD is mentioned, do you have to mention RD every time JM is mentioned?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Rule question: If you have to mention JM every time RD is mentioned, do you have to mention RD every time JM is mentioned?
Very good question. The Answer is No. That's because JM supporters don't go off the deep end every time there is a coaching thread in the MBB forum. Nor do they feel that the whole of LU Hoops history is engulfed by him
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Cue Jim Nabors
Jim Nabors? Help me, oldflame.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ATrain wrote:Rule question: If you have to mention JM every time RD is mentioned, do you have to mention RD every time JM is mentioned?
Very good question. The Answer is No. That's because JM supporters don't go off the deep end every time there is a coaching thread in the MBB forum. Nor do they feel that the whole of LU Hoops history is engulfed by him
Next question: does he have any supporters?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jeff has plenty of supporters on this board. Glad to see him get back to his hometown.

On a semi-related note, I am still processing how the guy who couldn;t get a winning record int he Big South a few years ago now has one of the better jobs in all of college basketball just a few years later.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Jeff has plenty of supporters on this board. Glad to see him get back to his hometown.

On a semi-related note, I am still processing how the guy who couldn;t get a winning record int he Big South a few years ago now has one of the better jobs in all of college basketball just a few years later.
A FEW years ago? Umm, he was out of the conference (this includes his tenure as an assistant at Winthrop) by the time I was a freshman in 2003.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Jeff has plenty of supporters on this board. Glad to see him get back to his hometown.

Didn't Holtmann have 1 winning season?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:Cue Jim Nabors
Jim Nabors? Help me, oldflame.
Srlsy?

[youtube]7wcgaRkHAWY[/youtube]
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:

A FEW years ago? Umm, he was out of the conference (this includes his tenure as an assistant at Winthrop) by the time I was a freshman in 2003.
I was referencing Holtmann at OSU.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Rivals.com wrote:Jeff Meyer Grateful For His Time At U-M, Left His Mark

Chris Balas | Senior Editor

Former Michigan assistant Jeff Meyer joins LaVall Jordan's staff at Butler after nine years at U-M.
USA TODAY sports images

Now-former Michigan assistant Jeff Meyer didn’t know it when he first met John Beilein in 1994, but he seemed destined to cross paths with him again. He did, becoming the coach’s right hand man for the better part of nine years in Ann Arbor.

Meyer, 63, recently accepted a job to join former U-M assistant LaVall Jordan at Butler, a place that’s always been special to him. Nine years is a long time in the coaching profession, and after accomplishing plenty in Ann Arbor — two Big Ten titles, an Elite Eight and a National Title game appearance among them — he moves on to his next challenge as an experienced, steadying hand for an up and coming young coach.
Click Here for Full Story
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:On a semi-related note, I am still processing how the guy who couldn;t get a winning record int he Big South a few years ago now has one of the better jobs in all of college basketball just a few years later.
The year before he left for Butler, Holtmann went 21-13, 11-5 in the Big South, his team finished second in the league and the Bulldogs went to the CIT. I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I think you forget what kind of mess Rick Scruggs left that place in before Holtmann came aboard.

Now granted, some things had to happen for Holtmann to make his move upward from there. Brad Miller had to take a medical leave of absence, opening a door. Ohio State had to fire Matta and then get turned down by McDermott. But to say Holtmann did anything but a remarkable job at a dumpster fire of a job before leaving for Butler would be disingenuous.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly's right: in Holtmann's first two years at Gardner-Webb, he went 11-21 and 12-20. Those years, he finished 9th and 10th in the conference standings with identical 6-12 records in conference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Holtmann
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The G-W people who check in here from time to time were really happy with Holtman and totally bummed to see him go.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that this is not Jeff's first stint as an assistant at Butler. He was there under Todd Lickliter from 2001-4, right after he left Winthrop.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]